Google Music locks up when Samsung Galaxy S3 goes idle

Jarjaxle09

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello All - I am really hoping someone here can help me.

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S3 - just bought it 2 days ago.
I am running Android 4.1.1
I have the screen set to timeout at 10 min (this is the longest amount of time I can allow - previously I had a HTC EVO 4G and it was set to "Never" and I did not have the issues I am experiencing)
I have gone into Developer Mode and set it to "Keep phone awake while charging"
I have "Smart Stay" set to "On" - this allows the screen to stay on as long as you are looking at it.

When listening to music streamed to my phone via Google Music, at 10 min the phone screen goes dim, the "eye" comes on in the task bar and then it brightens again - after this it continues to play the current song, but will not switch to the next song, instead it locks up and will not work again unless I reboot my phone.
I am used to listening to music in my car via Google Music and want to continue with my new phone - this is driving me crazy. Listening to music is one the primary functions of my phone.

I have tried using Google Music to play locally stored music - same thing happens - it locks up after the phone reaches its 10 min timeout setting.
I have tried changing the timeout setting to 1 min - same issue, only worse - now it locks up after each song.

In a nutshell - Google Music locks up when phone reaches its 10 min timeout and is only recovered when the phone is rebooted.

Any suggestions would be helpful - "Help me Android Central Forums - You're my only hope!"

Jarjaxle09

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Intresting have you tryed deleting it and Defoe loading it?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

I am not sure what you mean here - I have not tried uninstalling Google Music and then re-installing it again. I will try that immediately and let you know what happens.
What do you mean by "Defoe Loading"?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry weird auto correct type bs. And yes that's what iment Iv gotta stop doing this at 4 am lol

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

denn020

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. It started a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's jellybean or an app update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
My Google music is causing me some heartache... I start up the app, have screen set to never shut off when charging (developer option), and begin listening to music. If either listening to an album or instant mix, after three songs or so, the player stops and will not respond until I forcefully stop the application. WTH?!?!? I think it's a bug in the music program...but I'm very new to JB 4.1.1, so maybe I'm missing something.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Google music is a pretty poor music app. Try another app from the playstore...

I've been using Google Music for awhile...works slicker than snot on my EVO. Any recommendations for third party apps that can integrate with Google Music's servers so I can listen to my library?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Google Music for awhile...works slicker than snot on my EVO. Any recommendations for third party apps that can integrate with Google Music's servers so I can listen to my library?

Sorry, I wouldn't know as I don't use cloud storage for music. You may be stuck with Google music if using their cloud.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine works fine.. Streaming or playing the locally stored music that I downloaded.

Try turning smart stay off.. I don't have that on so maybe that's messing with it?

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

div033

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I am also having this issue, plus another when on a JB leak (Verizon).

Instead of the phone failing to play the next track, it switches audio to the external speaker. I have to unplug my aux cable and re-plug it to correct the issue.

The only workaround I'm aware of right now is to use an AOSP ROM like CM10. The issues aren't present there.

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wouldn't know as I don't use cloud storage for music. You may be stuck with Google music if using their cloud.

Personally I feel that's the only reason a person should use google music. Whenever I get a new 32 gb sd card, I'm going straight to poweramp. I may go back to using my old ipod.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally I feel that's the only reason a person should use google music. Whenever I get a new 32 gb sd card, I'm going straight to poweramp. I may go back to using my old ipod.

3g is so bad where I am. I can't stream mp3. It will buffer as long as 3 minutes play a 15 sec clip and then have to buffer for 3 more minutes. It's bad.

mcclinsr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is a Jellybean bug as I did not have the issue prior to the update (Galaxy s 3, Sprint). I can suggest posting bug reports to the Google music help forums etc. I do want to add that I find Google play music to be very nice other than this bug. I like the online streaming that is seamlessly synced with my phone, tablet and Google TV as well as any computer on the planet. Now that all major record labels are sold through the play store, it is a fine service.

biggie3535

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I unpinned all my music from the device, uninstalled Google music player, reinstalled it, then repinned all songs to phone b/c streaming never worked anyway in Sprint. This seems to have worked on my S3 on Sprint after getting the jelly bean update. Good luck all. Hope this helps.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
anyone else seeing this kill their battery, seems to keep the phone awake until a reboot, even after exiting the music player.

thanks

Billychic

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm having the same problem. I've had my phone since Thanksgiving, and the player was the best one and working fine. About a week ago it started stalling after a few songs - quite possibly after the new software update for ATT. It's driving me crazy.

tillerrw

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I finally had to uninstall the updates for Google Music. I believe the update on November 12 is what started causing these problems, for me at least. I was getting the issue where music started playing from the phone speaker instead of the car speakers when the aux cable was plugged in. There were two quick fixes, unplug cable and reinsert or pause song and start playing again. One of those "fixes" seemed to cause my other problem, songs "playing" longer than they actually were. The song would end at 3:15 for example but the clock would keep ticking time and the next song wouldn't play. This required a Force Stop.

I have had none of these problems since uinstalling updates. I left info regarding this problem in my review in the Play Store and also in a bug report directly from the app. No response yet or new update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae