Notification sound for Exchange Email account...

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm back with another question about this damn Exchange email account.

The notification sound that I choose does not work (Good News). "Good News" is also my default ringtone for my gmail notification. The problem is that when I get an email through Exchange, the tone the phone uses is "Postman". Why? Why can I not change the Exchange notification ringtone? Somewhat annoying.

Help me.

Thank you all.

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm back with another question about this damn Exchange email account.

Help me.

Thank you all.

The notification sound that I choose does not work (Good News). "Good News" is also my default ringtone for my gmail notification. The problem is that when I get an email through Exchange, the tone the phone uses is "Postman". Why? Why can I not change the Exchange notification ringtone? Somewhat annoying.

Actually you can change the notification for the exchange services such as email. When you're in email (in any account), hit the menu button, settings, select the account that you would like to customize the notification for, scroll near the bottom to email notifications, and change the notification ringtone type. However, you will have to do this for the different apps that you would like to customize such as the calendar. The default ringtone is for general system notifications, such as sprint updates, notifications, and other stuff.

I also utilize the exchange for my corporate emails and I have gone through all the related apps in which I synch and have customized the notifications. I like it that way. Therefore, I don't even have to look at the phone and I know what has come through. I hoped this help.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually you can change the notification for the exchange services such as email. When you're in email (in any account), hit the menu button, settings, select the account that you would like to customize the notification for, scroll near the bottom to email notifications, and change the notification ringtone type. However, you will have to do this for the different apps that you would like to customize such as the calendar. The default ringtone is for general system notifications, such as sprint updates, notifications, and other stuff.

I also utilize the exchange for my corporate emails and I have gone through all the related apps in which I synch and have customized the notifications. I like it that way. Therefore, I don't even have to look at the phone and I know what has come through. I hoped this help.

That theory sounds strong...but if fact does not happen. I know very well how to change ring tones and notification settings. For instance, right now I purposefully changed Gmail to "Good News", text messages to "Opener" and I have Exchange email (for work) set to "silent"...guess what happens when a work email comes in...it freakin' rings that damn "postman" tone. I can't change it and I can't silence it unless I silence the whole phone, which I do not want to do. I have two freinds that have this same issue...so it seams to be the S3 or JB...

But I think I give up...

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
That theory sounds strong...but if fact does not happen. I know very well how to change ring tones and notification settings. For instance, right now I purposefully changed Gmail to "Good News", text messages to "Opener" and I have Exchange email (for work) set to "silent"...guess what happens when a work email comes in...it freakin' rings that damn "postman" tone. I can't change it and I can't silence it unless I silence the whole phone, which I do not want to do. I have two freinds that have this same issue...so it seams to be the S3 or JB...

But I think I give up...

That's weird. It works on mine with no problem. I don't know if it's because I'm running a custom rom, but I doubt it. I tried googling it to see if anything came up, but I didn't see anything right away. But I have another idea and this will only work if you're rooted. If you're looking to silence the postman notification, using your root explorer, navigate to the following file:

system/media/audio/notifications/S_Postman.ogg

Rename the file to be S_Postman.ogg.bak

This will kill the postman notification from sounding when you receive an exchange email. When I tried it, I thought that the system would look for the postman notification file, then see that it wasn't there and then default to the system notification sound. But it didn't. But maybe it finally looks for the selected notification that you have for your exchange? If you're rooted, give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. It works on mine with no problem. I don't know if it's because I'm running a custom rom, but I doubt it. I tried googling it to see if anything came up, but I didn't see anything right away. But I have another idea and this will only work if you're rooted. If you're looking to silence the postman notification, using your root explorer, navigate to the following file:

system/media/audio/notifications/S_Postman.ogg

Rename the file to be S_Postman.ogg.bak

This will kill the postman notification from sounding when you receive an exchange email. When I tried it, I thought that the system would look for the postman notification file, then see that it wasn't there and then default to the system notification sound. But it didn't. But maybe it finally looks for the selected notification that you have for your exchange? If you're rooted, give it a shot. Let us know how it works out.

Not rooted nor will I ever be...not something I care about.

But I am still confused that you are the only one who has commented. Are we the only two in this forum that use a Microsoft Exchange email account? Why am I the only one in this whole forum with issues? I'm sad...:'(

ow13

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
But I am still confused that you are the only one who has commented. Are we the only two in this forum that use a Microsoft Exchange email account? Why am I the only one in this whole forum with issues? I'm sad...:'(

Had the same problem. Are you SURE that you are not setting General-setting? You have to make changes to the account.

Wrong place:
Settings ? Accounts ? Microsoft Exchange ActiveS.. ? Settings ? General preferences ? Select ringtone: Silent
Adjusting General is not changing account which already exists. Don't know what it is for.
Correct place:
Settings ? Accounts ? Microsoft Exchange ActiveS.. ? Settings ? firstname.lastname@company.something ? Select ringtone: Silent

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I use Exchange with the stock email account, and whatever ringtone I select plays just fine. As ow13 ways, though, the setting for the individual account overrides whatever is set for General settings in the email app.

sflucks

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue mate, and i am able to navigate to where you can change the notification sound, but the option i blanked off, in other words you can touch on it but it is not an active option. Surely someone has a solution? I'm annoying my colleagues in the office with that pesky postman sound!!!

richard197999

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue mate, and i am able to navigate to where you can change the notification sound, but the option i blanked off, in other words you can touch on it but it is not an active option. Surely someone has a solution? I'm annoying my colleagues in the office with that pesky postman sound!!!

I had the same problem, ringtone option greyed out, I fixed it though, my ringtone option became live once I took the phone off of silent mode.

Felt a bit simple afterwords.

mvelasco2

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
My issue was when setting exchange to use silent ringtone mail would not push. I had to set it to postman to resolve, very strange.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Cathie Cain

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Nope - sadly, you are not the only one...I'm here looking for answers myself...the postman alert is quite annoying :mad:...and I have my email notification set for silent...

Jack Boozer

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I had to factory reset my GS3 yesterday and now I'm having that same issue with the postman ringtone. My exchange email is set for silent and it will not change, this was not a problem before I reset the phone. I don't understand why this is such a PIA, I thought resetting would stop me from wanting to get rid of this thing, but this issue is just as annoying.

Michelle Folster

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Just got my phone a few weeks ago and no matter what I set my email notification sound setting to it rings "Postman" every time. I have even set it to "silent" and still, the "postman" notification tone sounds. I'm annoyed.

TheFinkster

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to add to this with sort of a step by step walk through on the postman issue (from a T-mobile Note 2)

There are 3 levels to this @#$&*( sound.

1 - The default for the phone.
2 - The default for the account i.e. john.doe@company.com
3 - the one that I FINALLY found - the default for ActiveSync itself

To change or silence the postman:
Settings and then go to the accounts section
Open up active sync and then go to settings, then tap the Added Accounts that you want to change (please note, I only had one, my company account). This should open a menu that is fairly long and includes the Exchange ActiveSync Settings, server settings, synchronize settings and everything for the account. If you are in a settings menu that is very short (but includes notification and sounds) does NOT control the notification for ActiveSync.

The "General Preferences" is NOT the controlling location which is where I had been going to and has the short menu list. So if you have been changing that section and you want to throw the phone out the window, look for the ActiveSync settings.

I hope this helps.