Can't open excel documents

mfdleitz

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Before the jb update i was able to open up excel docs and now I can't. Tried different apps to open but still can't do it..Frustrating..Anyone know of any apps that may open an excel docs. Tried documents to go, think free, office suite. No luck.

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Before the jb update i was able to open up excel docs and now I can't. Tried different apps to open but still can't do it..Frustrating..Anyone know of any apps that may open an excel docs. Tried documents to go, think free, office suite. No luck.

That's weird, I am able to open all of the excel files that I have ever viewed on my phone. I have Docs to go. Also, I have been able to open them up using the crapware Polaris.

Just by chance, are you rooted and have maybe deleted or frozen some apps or start up process that may be affecting it? I have experienced that in the past.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

mfdleitz

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Figured it out. So if anyone is having problems opening up any attachments on their email. jpegs, excel or any attachment go to settings, app manager go to all, go to email and clear data and cache. soft reset. should be good after that.

DLSD21

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with opening Excel documents from Outlook. All of a sudden documents just stopped opening after working fine. I too download various programs.

I tried your suggestion above and it didn't work but it got my brain working. I sent the email from Outlook to my Gmail account and was able to open my attachments just fine.

Not sure why this is happening but figured I would share my solution also.

Thank you!!.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

I use Documents to Go Paid version, it will let you open, edit, and save them from Doc, or excel. There is a free version but you can only read them on it....

Kathy Noble

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Did the upgrade, by chance, coincide timewise with windows 8 coming into use? I can open and view excel docs sent to me from all computers except from my windows 8 computer. I have a Droid Bionic. This is driving me crazy.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact problem a while back and I think it may have been my gmail app was corrupted. I had used an app to prevent it from auto starting, and I think that messed it up. Anyway, my fix was to clear gmail data and cache, uninstall, and reinstall from the app store.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

calail

May 24, 2010
Visit site
FIX: Can't open excel documents

I know the OP is old, but I've been searching for a fix for this problem for a while.

I found lots of suggestions on line (delete and add the account; clear data and cache from eMail app; reboot phone;) - unfortunately nothing worked for me. I also found suggestions to download apps that would open the attachments... but, I didn't want to do that - and, I had been able to open attachments, so I realy wanted to know what had changed.

I figured it out, and thought I'd post a reply. If it's too late to help the original poster, maybe it will help someone else searching in the future.

The Samsung S3 & the Galaxy Tab 2 (and maybe other Samsung models as well), come preloaded with an app to view Microsoft files (Excel, Word, etc), called Polaris Viewer and/or Polaris Office (I don't think you can get these apps new from the PlayStore). Anyways - all I needed to do was go to my SETTINGS, then MANAGE APPS, view ALL, and near the bottom of the list I found Polaris - and it showed disabled. Just enable this app.

Worked like a charm for me! I hope this helps someone else.

ActionData

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I am developing an Excel Viewer app for Android that will support any Excel file in the app with user friendly viewing capabilities and features like Charting, Annotation etc.

Should I focus only on MS Excel viewer (skip the editor since its a crowded market?), the app may cater to users who have a need to only view Excel sheets everyday (MIS Team, Middle and Senior Managers for decision making).

The app could be used to view, analyze and collaborate on the Excel. Some nice features for viewing, first level analyzing and collaborating???

Do you see a market here?