Factory Resetting a Rooted Stock Phone

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm hoping you might shed some light on my situation. I am thinking my phone would be best served by a factory reset at the stock JB level...maybe that will get rid of the stupid little things happening. I'm rooted and have just the stock rom loaded. I've backed up my data and moved it off to my external sdcard.

Is there anything else I need to do or consider before redoing the factory reset? I'm guessing I should unfreeze any apps (I have SprintZone frozen via MyBackup Pro, and a couple little things disabled by the OS)? Is that necessary? Will the factory reset undo the root, CWM, etc?

I'm also curious if I should restore my apps from the MyBackup Pro backup or will the Play store push everything back down again? If I install from MyBackup Pro, will those apps show up in the My Apps area of Google Play?
Thanks!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
no a factory reset will not take out root, nor will it matter about the apps that are frozen. Won't hurt CWM either.

I do it all the time without changing stuff around

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, one thing I noticed is that MyBackup Pro backs up up to \Sdcard...which is on the internal phone. I let it back up there, then I moved it via Root Explorer to the actual external sdcard \extSdcard for safer keeping.

42rj21

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are ever afraid of losing root, installing and using OTA Rootkeeper is not a bad idea. It's free. Also, I use Titanium Backup for backing up files. In my opinion, it's second to none. I have purchased the pro version and use it to send all of my backups to the cloud. Just in case I ever lose my phone or it gets stolen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks fellas...anyone know if reinstalling apps from a Titanium or MyBackup Pro will not restore links to the apps within the android market? I kind of like having them all listed there...for updating and whatnot.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had yesterday of so I decided to do the factory reset and restore. MyBackup Pro restored my apps but most of them wouldn't start up, throwing up an error saying that the program crashed. I'd uninstall it and reinstall it and all was normal again. Everything was still listed in the Play Store, so I think next time...I'll just install my apps through there and call it a day.

Unfortunately, it still didn't fix the Google Music issue. Darn it...