Receiving Multiple Copies of the Same Text Message

Michel Boyer

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
i did notice one thing. i live in canada so not the same company so its not the service provider. i tried turning off google sync completly and thus far i have had nothing but will post if i do get more.

Imre Fabian

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Sony Xperia Pro (MK16i), running on Android 4.0.4 (ICS).

Whenever I install an app that turns the screen off on a shake, twist or turn the problem occurs: multiple copies of an SMS.
When I disable it or better even, uninstall it, everything turns out normal.
Apparently the App prevents SMS-Receive-Reports to be sent back tot the SMS provider (phone-company) 's Servers.
Then these think the SMS was not received (phone off or something alike) ant try is after 10 minutes or so (depending on the provider) again.
This causes multiple receipts. Until the phone get the opportunity to send a SMS-Receive-Reports back. Then the whole circus stops. Until the next SMS.

Try to see if something uses the Device-control slots (see settings-security). Try to disable it or uninstall it.
Or get a newer phone or Android version.
Otherwise, I also don't know.

Cheers,
Imre

Ciaran Jamieson

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Try performing a manual network selection. if its set to automatic and not connecting properly, the phone texting you can keep tyring to send untill it does go through, and then they will all come through,

Ciaran

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
For us, it's always been a Sprint issue. We live in western NC where cell coverage is sporadic. Sprint and Verizon are bed buddies to keep everyone covered.

We call, get the "do this reboot" dance, then later find out they were doing a network update or something in the area. It goes away until the next time they or Verizon is doing an update somewhere.

However, the multiple texts are only with other, local Sprint customers, never from anyone outside the area.

Seluryar

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have been receiving multiple texts saying the same thing from facebook and twitter for the last few days.

I didnt try anything to resolve it until 2 hours ago and I think I nailed it.

I was prepping to reformat/reset my Samsung Galaxy Prevail v1(stock 2.3.6)(Boost) by making sure everything was synced, As I went to the sync window, it showed me a "Sync people Details" error.
I unchecked sync people details, rechecked it, was able to sync that thing, And then finally, I deleted the text message threads relating to the facebook and twitter messages I have received.

I have not received any repeat texts since doing this.

I have not reset my phone through all of this and will reply to this topic soon if the texts start up again.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been with Sprint since the beginning - (16 to 18 years?) and I have received multiple texts randomly more so for about the last 5 years. At first I thought it was my Airave, then it happened to me on the road - so I think it is simply a Sprint problem - for me it is random and is limited to about 2 to 3 repeated texts sometimes in succession and sometimes 15 to 30 minutes later.

Everyone might have different fixes that might work for them, but for me, I simply live with it because IMHO, there is no fix. My .02 cents.

Ricardo Arcila

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks you fixed my issue I have the flashlight app and I disabled shake to turn on and no more problems your the man

this guy knows his ****
I had the same problem with my Sony Xperia Pro (MK16i), running on Android 4.0.4 (ICS).

Whenever I install an app that turns the screen off on a shake, twist or turn the problem occurs: multiple copies of an SMS.
When I disable it or better even, uninstall it, everything turns out normal.
Apparently the App prevents SMS-Receive-Reports to be sent back tot the SMS provider (phone-company) 's Servers.
Then these think the SMS was not received (phone off or something alike) ant try is after 10 minutes or so (depending on the provider) again.
This causes multiple receipts. Until the phone get the opportunity to send a SMS-Receive-Reports back. Then the whole circus stops. Until the next SMS.

Try to see if something uses the Device-control slots (see settings-security). Try to disable it or uninstall it.
Or get a newer phone or Android version.
Otherwise, I also don't know.

Cheers,
Imre

Last edited by a moderator:

JaDaar

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I am on T-Mobile, I get it with friends - irregardless of network they are on sporadically.
Today I had it with wife - she had same phone, HTC ONE. Same behavior, message repeats on my phone every 2 minutes for a varying period of time. Sometimes it continues repeating even after they have sent another message.

Sometimes I am on WiFi sometimes I am downtown on cellular network. I have no idea why this occurs.

mn37

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I am on T-mobile and I will get repeat text messages from anyone. I can get anywhere from just two to almost fifty of the same message.

David Lessnau1

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I had that problem for a month. I reset my phone, I removed programs, I stop syncing, nothing worked. I use MetroPCS and a Samsung Exhibit phone. I then went to the Main metro store in my area, and they reset the phone and did some sort of refresh. That fixed the problem, and the phone works faster now also. Must have been clogged up. I will now only add as few apps as possible and maybe that will avoid problems in the future.

Schmonka

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My phone started receiving the same text message repeated times. My daughter said her phone said, "sending failed," so I surmised it was that my phone was not acknowledging the receipt. It began right after my phone asked to install some updates. I had said "no" to the Google "Talk" update because I don't use it. After I had this problem for 24 hours, I went back to "Talk" and did a simple setup, then the repeats stopped & I got all the other messages that had been held back.

Jacob Hus

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
On my Sony Xperia Miro i often have the problem that i get the same messages over and over but it always goes away after a few hours. Now i have the same problem but it has been about 14hours, i have received over 300 text messages and i don't get new messages from people. only the old ones.
Can someone help me???

Megan Adair

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This has been screwing with me for weeks, the only thing that has made a difference and fixed it I thiiiiink is uninstalling Facebook Messenger.

Idk why but since doing so the multi messages have chillllled out.

Gilbert Gorospe

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I remove the facebook messenger from samsung galaxy phone tablet gt p1000 and restarted . somehow i stopped receiving multiple messages. Thank God ridding this annoyance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae