Swimming lessons

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife thought it would be a good idea to see if her S3 could swim in the toilet...it can't. Poor little bugger sank right to the bottom like a brick holding a boulder. She rescued the phone and buried it in a bowl of rice for almost 24 hours

The situation is that the phone turns on...everything look good but the touch screen is almost completely unresponsive. Sometimes it seems to work fine, and then it just doesn't do anything at all.

So, what do you guys believe the problem is...how easy is it to fix? We have the warranty plan at Best Buy, so it won't cost us anything to fix it, but is it a simple fix or will it be a full replacement? My wife is out of her mind that she has to use an Evo until it is fixed.

Thanks...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say just get the replacement since you already have the insurance. The internals for the screen could be damaged from the water and that's why they are kinda funky about responding to touches.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear it OP. You should receive a replacement...it might be new or it will be a refurb.

On the other note......Apple doesn't have a patent for swimming phones yet for Samsung to copy..../sarcasm :)

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
You most likely be getting a refurbished, I did when I had a problem with mine. Actually you can't tell the difference is like brand new phone.
It only took a couple of days to get the replacement.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't even mess around any further. Just file the insurance claim with BB and get the refurb. Once they take a swim they are never the same....

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
OK...I walked the phone to the guys at BB and when they turned it on to do their inspection...perfect. Not a thing wrong with it. I told them we did the rice thing and they were amazed. They actually told me that it shows no sign of water damage and to hold onto it for a few days to see how it works. So far with my wife's crazy amount of texting and facebooking...not a single issue with the touch screen.

I guess Samsung should get a patent for a swimming phone before Crabapple does!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Electronics and water are weird. Sometimes the tiniest bit of water kills them, sometimes they can take an amazing amount of dunking and survive. Sometimes they take a long time to dry out, too.

My son soaked his iPod Touch a couple of years ago (don't know how--he denied it ever happened, but the water sensors clearly showed it did :)). I didn't find out about it until well after it was too late for the rice trick. At first, it would sort of work, intermittently, but would take more than 12 hours to charge from 50% to 100%, and discharged very quickly. But over a period of 3 or 4 months, it gradually restored itself to perfect working order.

Glad your wife's phone wasn't terminal.

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
You might want to leave it in the rice longer if there is ever a next time (which hopefully there won't be). Almost 24 hours just doesn't seem long enough. I think 2 days would have been better.

Glad it seems to have survived, however.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You might want to leave it in the rice longer if there is ever a next time (which hopefully there won't be). Almost 24 hours just doesn't seem long enough. I think 2 days would have been better.

Glad it seems to have survived, however.

Yeah, 2 to 3 days to soak up all the moisture is sufficient. If it doesn't work after that, it's borked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance