Phone Insurance

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
$220 + $150 to $200 deductible is still less than a brand new S3 w/o contract fresh out the box at any carrier's store.

True, but after a year or so there should be plenty of used GS3's available. If my GS3 dies after a year I'll replace it with something used, not a brand new one at $600.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Get another line and another S3 and What will u do with the line that the damaged or lost phone was on? You'll be paying for 2 lines but only have one phone? To each their own.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

You call Sprint and have them move the new S3 to his first original line. I do it all the time. Then, he can purchase a phone from somewhere like ebay and put it on his second line. Now if he loses or breaks his S3 he can move the phone from ebay to his first line and never be without a phone. Also, now he has 2 lines with upgrade paths at different intervals to get a new phone.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like the insurance plan Sprint has because in most cases if something happens to your phone they will replace it alright, but with a refurb...I didn't purchase a refurb to start with so I feel like the insurance should replace it with a new one. Also I have just upgraded my two phones on my account from the Original Evo4g to the GS3. When I first go the Evo4g, my wife wanted the Samsung Intercept which was a piece of trash and only lasted a year, By that time you could get a NEW Evo4g online for around $230.00, yes this is a little more than a $100.00 deductible but surely not $600.00 for her new phone. I usualy keep my phones for the two year upgrade period and beyond and usualy by then the new stuff is out and my GS3 you will be able to fine for a small price. Yes I have to be careful for a while, but hey that's what Otter Boxes are far...

Just my opinion

I agree. We PAY for this insurance so we should get a "new", "in the box" phone no matter the circumstances....even if it's still under warranty by the manufacturer. The only way I feel someone should get a refurb is when they have no insurance and it breaks during the warranty period. But breaks by natural means = new phone. Breaks by misuse = refurb, but with some sort of deductible.

But on the other hand, we pay for car insurance and if your car get's smacked up but not totaled, they will only fix what was damaged. Sometimes it's worse that what it originally was. I just went through this on Nov. 4th. I got hit in a parking lot that caused 2600 bucks in damage to my 2001 Tundra and his insurance was willing to fix it, but only to effected areas. Now, the paint doesn't match the rest of the truck. Looks like crap. I fought with them and got nowhere. I called some lawyers and they greeted me with laughter so I'm stuck with what I got.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
True, but after a year or so there should be plenty of used GS3's available. If my GS3 dies after a year I'll replace it with something used, not a brand new one at $600.

I can dig it but something can happen to your phone b4 a year. Just saying.

You call Sprint and have them move the new S3 to his first original line. I do it all the time. Then, he can purchase a phone from somewhere like ebay and put it on his second line. Now if he loses or breaks his S3 he can move the phone from ebay to his first line and never be without a phone. Also, now he has 2 lines with upgrade paths at different intervals to get a new phone.

That sounds like too much work and sounds like you'll be paying a bill for no reason

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used 3rd party insurance and like you I can't drop that much coin at one time on a new phone. As with most insurance, it's a pool where they are banking on you not using it.

I've typically gone with the carrier supplied insurance mostly because of the ease of getting my phone replaced. The one time I actually needed it because my phone was water damaged I walked in and was out in 15 minutes with a new phone (paying the required deductible of course).

My understanding of 3rd Party plans is though they may be cheaper, that's because there is often a limit to what they will cover. Read the fine print.

Often with 3rd Party plans the procedure for getting a replacement is more time consuming than just walking into your provider and getting a phone. How long are you willing to go without a phone? I think that even with Apple Care you have to wait to get a new phone from Apple.

Once again read the fine print. Sometimes faster phone replacement is worth a little more money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used 3rd party insurance and like you I can't drop that much coin at one time on a new phone. As with most insurance, it's a pool where they are banking on you not using it.

I've typically gone with the carrier supplied insurance mostly because of the ease of getting my phone replaced. The one time I actually needed it because my phone was water damaged I walked in and was out in 15 minutes with a new phone (paying the required deductible of course).

My understanding of 3rd Party plans is though they may be cheaper, that's because there is often a limit to what they will cover. Read the fine print.

Often with 3rd Party plans the procedure for getting a replacement is more time consuming than just walking into your provider and getting a phone. How long are you willing to go without a phone? I think that even with Apple Care you have to wait to get a new phone from Apple.

Once again read the fine print. Sometimes faster phone replacement is worth a little more money.

Even with Sprint, you probably aren't walking out of the store with a new phone... every Sprint store in my area tells me "call asurion"

Sent from my G-Note 2

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Even with Sprint, you probably aren't walking out of the store with a new phone... every Sprint store in my area tells me "call asurion"

Sent from my G-Note 2

I'm not on Sprint. My local provider handles replacements right at the store. Just going with my experiences. Yours are obviously different.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree. We PAY for this insurance so we should get a "new", "in the box" phone no matter the circumstances....even if it's still under warranty by the manufacturer. The only way I feel someone should get a refurb is when they have no insurance and it breaks during the warranty period. But breaks by natural means = new phone. Breaks by misuse = refurb, but with some sort of deductible.

You PAY for the insurance specified in the terms and conditions, nothing more and nothing less. If the terms and conditions say they can give you a recond. phone, that's what you paid for. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the insurance. If there were enough demand, the insurers might well offer a policy that guaranteed you a brand new phone. But you can bet the premiums, and probably the deductible, would be higher.

Following up on your comment about car insurance, if you total your car, do you think your insurance company will buy you a brand new one? If so, you're likely to be sorely disappointed. What they'll give you is a check for the current average value of a used car the same age as yours. If your phone is a year old when you break it, why do you think the insurance would treat it as a brand new one?

I'm not on Sprint. My local provider handles replacements right at the store. Just going with my experiences. Yours are obviously different.

I am on Sprint, and I had two Palm Treos replaced at the local Sprint store. One time I got a refurb, the 2nd time a brand new, in box upgrade (a newer model than the one that died). I have a business account, so that might affect how they handle it, but mostly I think it's just down to what the store has available and how the person behind the counter feels that day.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You PAY for the insurance specified in the terms and conditions, nothing more and nothing less. If the terms and conditions say they can give you a recond. phone, that's what you paid for. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the insurance. If there were enough demand, the insurers might well offer a policy that guaranteed you a brand new phone. But you can bet the premiums, and probably the deductible, would be higher.

Following up on your comment about car insurance, if you total your car, do you think your insurance company will buy you a brand new one? If so, you're likely to be sorely disappointed. What they'll give you is a check for the current average value of a used car the same age as yours. If your phone is a year old when you break it, why do you think the insurance would treat it as a brand new one?

I am on Sprint, and I had two Palm Treos replaced at the local Sprint store. One time I got a refurb, the 2nd time a brand new, in box upgrade (a newer model than the one that died). I have a business account, so that might affect how they handle it, but mostly I think it's just down to what the store has available and how the person behind the counter feels that day.

I know this. That's why the key word is "should" get a new phone. If it breaks at no fault of your own, why should the owner...whom is still paying for it...get a phone possibly in worse condition? Sure the refurb will work but that's not the point.

I also know this about car ins. They give you a check equal to the Kelly Blue Book value less depreciation if you total your car. But my point in my situation was that it looks worse now than before it was hit. It shouldn't be that way. It should look "exactly" like it did before the accident or better. And neither was/is the case.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year. :p

Guess what? I'm one of the ones who never understood how someone could break a $600 phone - dropped my SG3 3, screen shattered. I know how and why and it was because I was NOT being careful - but I did have Best Buy's protection (which I paid for outright when I bought the phone) and it was replaced. You do have to wait, and give up your phone because they take it to send it in - meanwhile, IF AVAILABLE, you will be given a loaner phone. After a week of waiting for a replacement, the store just gave me a new phone from the store. Typically they don't do that until after 14 days but I was leaving for a 10 day trip and needed the phone - I asked and they replaced it. After all, it's not my fault they don't have refurbs to give out - that's something BB does to save money, but I feel if they don't have refurbs available (14 day wait is ridiculous), they should give you a new one right away.

By the way, Sprint's TEP is $11 but they have other levels of coverage - check, I asked and they still have a $7 plan. Can't remember what it covers, but you could ask.

macmov

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My 2 cents says, I feel it's a complete waste of money for ANY tacked on insurance for anything As far as phones are concerned, I'd rather put my money into a quality case for protection and if something ever does go wrong, I always keep my old phone for a backup and would just have one of these phone geek techs repair my phone if I couldn't do it myself. I can guarantee 99% of the time I would come out way ahead rather then buying an insurance plan just to hope they will cover the problem after the deductable they force me to pay.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
By the way, Sprint's TEP is $11 but they have other levels of coverage - check, I asked and they still have a $7 plan. Can't remember what it covers, but you could ask.

The Sprint TEP is now based on the non contract price of the phone, so unfortunately, anything short of an LG Rumor isn't working for $7

Sent from my G-Note 2

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
No one has mentioned worth ave group? Its the best if you have a tablet or laptop to insure. They even do used items no matter how long ago you bought em. You can get a tablet/laptop plan and add a smart phone for 10 bucks. Best part is if the tablet/laptop plan has no deductible, neither does the phone.

To do a Nexus 7 16 GB and a Nexus 4 16gb you need $550 of coverage. That's $51 for one year, minus a 15% coupon code (newcustomer), plus 10 dollar phone rider and processing fees and you got a one year policy for 48.35 with no deductible on either item with unlimited claims because it is insurance and not a warranty. Also covers water damage and theft.

Can get two years for 83.20. Get a little discount for getting 2 years at once. You can get one year now and renew at the end of the year. Even let it lapse and then renew again. Great plan. I asked to make sure but as long as it is on a rider to a no deductible policy the phone has no deductible as well. Can't find much better myself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I know this. That's why the key word is "should" get a new phone. If it breaks at no fault of your own, why should the owner...whom is still paying for it...get a phone possibly in worse condition? Sure the refurb will work but that's not the point.

But my point in my situation was that it looks worse now than before it was hit. It shouldn't be that way. It should look "exactly" like it did before the accident or better. And neither was/is the case.

I still have to disagree, and I don't think you do "know this." You're getting exactly what you signed up and paid for. If that's not what you wanted, you shouldn't have wasted your money on the insurance.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Please make sure you come back and let us know when you drop your phone and shatter the screen before the new year. :p

So let's say I do break the screen in the next few days. Samsung will fix it for $180 and give me my phone back. Assurian will replace it with a refurb for $150. And if I keep the insurance for a year, I've paid an extra $100 for that refurb ($131 insurance + $150 deductible = $281 vs. $180 for a repair). In order for the insurance to pay off financially I'd need to replace the phone twice in a year. If the deductible were something reasonable, like $50 or $75, I might buy the insurance. As it is, I'll take my chances.

jmiles3010

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've never bought insurance. I'm pretty careful with my devices, but there are people who just drop it all the time and do pretty stupid things to their phone. Insurance might be in those cases, worth it.

But normally speaking...I've heard too many stories of insurance getting sold as "IF ANYTHING happens, we'll replace it for free!!!!"... Then when something happened, the Sprint store gave the customer a hard time, charging them a deductible of a couple bills, then charging extra to get the info off of the old phone onto the new (to you...likely a refurb) one. A lot of times I've seen in person, the Sprint rep simply state that they're not going to fix it, but they'll sell a new phone for $500!!!! Eff that.

This is the most misleading statement I have read all year. Sprint is NOT the insurance company. And you do NOT pay your deductible to the Sprint store. And Sprint stores are NOT allowed to charge you to remove info from your old phone to your new phone! Although they do find it annoying when asked to transfer contacts from an Android to another Android. ( because it is so simple a 6 year old can do it) And if ....IF they sell you a GS III at full retail they do NOT make all that much money, under 100.00.
If the damage is NOT the customers fault or doing. Such as the screen stops working and there is no water damage and no abuse they are required to replace the phone at no cost and order an AE. ( advanced Exchange)

cemysh33

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have Tec on my note 2 on Verizon and its only $6.99mo with a $99 deductible through asurion. How is sprint so much higher? I keep insurance for the peace of mind and knowing anything can happen, even if you are "careful". And as for getting a refurbished phone, well i did send them a broken phone that was used too...it's like if you wreck your car (not total) and it can be fixed. Do you expect a brand new car? No, it's the same used car that you got fixed by using insurance paying a premium and a deductible.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I still have to disagree, and I don't think you do "know this." You're getting exactly what you signed up and paid for. If that's not what you wanted, you shouldn't have wasted your money on the insurance.

First off, did I mention whether "I" have/had insurance? Nope. Because I don't. I have an Otter box case as my insurance and if it breaks even with the case on, I will buy a new one. Yup...I can do that. So I haven't wasted my money on anything. As for post #24 when I said "we", I was speaking in third person meaning "WE" as consumers.

But I disagree with you and I do "know this". Like I said, the keyword was "should". I didn't say they "have to" or "need to". So this shouldn't need any more explanation.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy insurance is better than ensureon or however that is spelled. Sprint does Not have their own insurance. They just resell insurion, however that is spelled. They seem to make up excuses as to why they should deny a claim or charge you a large copay. And if you admit to rooting the phone, you get nothing. Best Buy does not care. No copay, and no yelling water damage.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie