SD Card Unmounting Itself

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Morning everyone,

I'm running JB 4.1 rooted but without any customization. Starting this morning, my 32gb sd card started to randomly unmount itself. The only solution is to remove the card and reinsert it to get the phone to recognize that it is present.

I removed the card and inserted it into my laptop to see if there was anything odd about the files. I scanned it using Avast and no threats were found. I did download a .rar file last night from androidcentral for fonts, however, I have since deleted it, suspecting that file may have had something to do with it. Unfortunately, I still have the problem. I also deleted a folder that showed that it had been created minutes before I noticed this problem. Explorer showed it as empty and Avast indicated it posed no threat.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Slap that sucker (SD card) into your PC and remove all contents. Format the sucker in Fat32 and then replace all your contents back on it. Now put the little booger back into your phone. Try that. Sometimes SD cards lose it's file structure causing your exact problem.

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Had that issue once after dropping my phone (onto carpet; it just got jarred). Wouldn't stop happening until I reformatted the card.

Webnaut

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You are a super-helpful guy, Skunkape60. I'm making some positive progress with your advice among other peoples'.

I've also had this problem where the card unmounts itself. I've found this to be the case when I use a card that has had data transferred to it while outside of the phone. Inserting it back into the device has been liable to slow down my phone (home screen chugs), and eventually give me back reports on how it is "damaged" if it shows up at all as an SD card. Specifically, I am referring to a FAT32 card in the previous sentence. The same card formatted in it's original exfat system will simply tell me that it is always damaged if I transfer data into it the same way.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but there are so many factors that can make what you describe happen. I have always...ALWAYS...taken out my SD card from my S3 (that is formatted in Fat32) to transfer large files to and from and have never experienced what you (and others) describe. Usually when I start getting errors, random reboots and disconnects, the card is about to fail. I had 2 A-Data 32GB class 10 micro SD cards go bad on me that were only a month old. It happens. I got them replaced but now I use Samsung 32GB class 10 micro SD cards for my S3 and my Samsung Chronos Series 7 and have not had a hiccup.

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to update, I tried wiping and reformatting and it seemed to work for a while, but now I getting the "sd card unexpectedly unmounted" message again. It is less frquent than when thjs first started up. I will look through the thread skunkape suggested and see what can be had.

Once again thanks to all who have offered direction

sent via smoke signals

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are a super-helpful guy, Skunkape60. I'm making some positive progress with your advice among other peoples'.

I've also had this problem where the card unmounts itself. I've found this to be the case when I use a card that has had data transferred to it while outside of the phone. Inserting it back into the device has been liable to slow down my phone (home screen chugs), and eventually give me back reports on how it is "damaged" if it shows up at all as an SD card. Specifically, I am referring to a FAT32 card in the previous sentence. The same card formatted in it's original exfat system will simply tell me that it is always damaged if I transfer data into it the same way.

Hmmm I leave it in the phone to do transfers of all sizes, I have an otterbox commuter case on it which is a bit of a pain to take off and reapply. I have only gotten the "damaged" message once, if I recall correctly, and that was following removal and re insertion of the card in question shortly after this started.

sent via smoke signals

bfoddy

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Any further ideas on this point? I have a Verizon S3 with a 64 GB card in it that seems to randomly unmount itself. If I go into the Storage Options, manually unmount/remount it comes back fine.

However, I'm leery about reformatting... When I bought the phone a month ago, I tried formatting to FAT32 via a laptop (Windows 7 Pro), but the laptop only saw the chip as 32GB, so I didn't proceed. Don't know if I need newer drivers or what, but I didn't feel it worth the risk to destroy a new 64GB chip.

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my lenovo p770 jb 4.1 and I saw in some forums that it's jb 4.1 bug where Google play
If you install app on sd card does it remove all the apps after reboot?

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
had this problem also. formatting the sd card didnt help. stick a piece in there to make a tighter contact against the phone, worked for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was talking with a Samsung representative online a few weeks ago, and they told me that while the S3 can support a 64GB SD card, it cannot support the SDXC type of cards. I have used SDHC cards and have had no problem with them.

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
On my 64 gb SDXC microSD I removed the extra partition, long reformatted from exFat to Fat32 and then let the phone re-format it again.So far it's been working flawlessly. (I probably just jinxed myself)

thefatstig

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Does the card unmount while sitting on a table / not moving etc? I ask this, as my card has been un mounting, but its been related to jarring and physical hits (nothing I would call abusive).
I've inserted a sliver of business card between the SD card and the metal frame (frame closest to rear cover), and it seems to have stopped unmounting.

mcaples

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I had my original card unmount itself. Bought a new one, and I put it in the phone (straight from the package) and it said "SD ready to be removed"...tryed to formate...card said "card blank or has unsupported systemfiles"...tried the sequence of events after a factory reset...TRIED AND TRIED...SAME THING...since I dont have a PC I cant (and dont even know what it is) do the Fat32 thing...I may try sticking a piece of paper in...I like "stupid" fixes...HA!!!!!

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does the card unmount while sitting on a table / not moving etc? I ask this, as my card has been un mounting, but its been related to jarring and physical hits (nothing I would call abusive).
I've inserted a sliver of business card between the SD card and the metal frame (frame closest to rear cover), and it seems to have stopped unmounting.

Yeah, I could have it siting on my desk and it would unmount randomly. I have since been using an 8GB card I had in my BB 9650 without any problems. The 32GB I had the issue with does not appear to want to be recognized by any devices any longer. I'm still not sure if the phone caused the initial problem and it is beyond repair or if it was the card to begin with. Too many instances of this issue with other folks for me to say.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12