What in the world is an "APK" ??

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Back when Google updated "Google Search" on ICS and took away the ability to search within the phone (contacts, apps, music, etc.) I saw people saying there were gonna download the old Google Search APK and put it on their phone... well my question is, what the heck is an "APK" and can any "APK" file be downloaded onto any phone?

I found a game that brings back memories of when I was in good old elementary and I'm sure 99.99% of you know [link deleted by moderator], and I wanted it on my phone just for old times sake! lol. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys... but like I asked can any APK be downloaded to any (smart) phone? And where do I put the APK? Lastly, do I have to be rooted?

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys... but like I asked can any APK be downloaded to any (smart) phone? And where do I put the APK? Lastly, do I have to be rooted?

Each version of Android (2.3, 4.0, 4.1, etc.) has its own API level. It is up to the developers to decide what levels to support. So in short, most APKs can run on most modern android smartphones, but not always. Sometimes you might also be limited by DPI or any number of thing the app might rely on (example is Amazon's apps from the Kindle rely on some extra framework that Amazon made.)
Lastly, no, you don't have to be rooted. You do, however, have to enable installation from unknown sources. In Android 4.0+ you will find this option in your security settings.
Also, please don't pirate paid apps. Developers work hard, they deserve something for their endeavors.

Sent from my Nexus 4

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Where do I put the APK file once I've downloaded it, right on my SD card?

Once you've got it on your SD card, simply open the file! Androids built in package installer will handle the rest. A file explorer helps here in navigating files.
Also, as sort of an addendum to my previous post, system apps do require root to install, and are installed by manually moving the APK to the /system/app folder and applying the correct permissions.

Sent from my Nexus 4

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Back when Google updated "Google Search" on ICS and took away the ability to search within the phone (contacts, apps, music, etc.) I saw people saying there were gonna download the old Google Search APK and put it on their phone... well my question is, what the heck is an "APK" and can any "APK" file be downloaded onto any phone?

I found a game that brings back memories of when I was in good old elementary and I'm sure 99.99% of you know [link deleted by moderator], and I wanted it on my phone just for old times sake! lol. Thanks to anyone who can help.

The app looks like its malware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Link in OP deleted. It's never a good idea to download APKs from dubious sources. If you do so, you're just asking to be hit by malware. And downloading copies of paid apps from somewhere other than the official sources is stealing.

Sent from my SGSIII

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

I did change the Google search APK several months ago and it worked like a charm in ICS. I liked the features it provided (Searching your phone) and it was supplied to me by Skunkape. You needed to root because it went in the System/Apps folder which you can only get to with root. However check out the current Google Now in JB a little more closely. If you check the bottom of the screen, you get a set of options to search in Web, Images, Places, and PHONE. If you search in PHONE, it works like the old Google Search. You can find People in your Contacts, Songs, and Applications. Enjoy :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I did change the Google search APK several months ago and it worked like a charm in ICS. I liked the features it provided (Searching your phone) and it was supplied to me by Skunkape. You needed to root because it went in the System/Apps folder which you can only get to with root. However check out the current Google Now in JB a little more closely. If you check the bottom of the screen, you get a set of options to search in Web, Images, Places, and PHONE. If you search in PHONE, it works like the old Google Search. You can find People in your Contacts, Songs, and Applications. Enjoy :)

Yes, for it to stick between reboots it requires root. However, if you weren't rooted, you could install it but it would have to be reinstalled at every boot.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, lots of geeks here. Let me put it in less geek for you.
APK in Android is sort of like an EXE install file in Windows. All programs (application (app)) are installed through the APK file type. Kind of like having an install. EXE program in Windows.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow, lots of geeks here. Let me put it in less geek for you.
APK in Android is sort of like an EXE install file in Windows. All programs (application (app)) are installed through the APK file type. Kind of like having an install. EXE program in Windows.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD

Let's make it lesser geek. It's a application. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1