How do we turn off the Amber Alert notifications?

GoBlueDevils

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My phone started blaring an alarm last night at 2am. It took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from, but I eventually realized that it was my phone. It turns out it was an Amber Alert sent to all capable cellphones in the "area". According to info I found, we are allowed to opt-out of these alerts and disable them. However, it says that we must contact the carriers to find instructions for changing the settings on each specific phone. I know the Amber Alert is a useful tool, but when they wake me up in the middle of the night for an Amber Alert that is 200 miles and a 3+ hour drive away, it can get rather annoying!

Does anyone know where I can go in the Settings to turn off the Amber Alerts for a Sprint Galaxy S3?

Last edited:

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if your phone has it, but for my N4 it's here:
Settings--> Wireless & networks--> More--> Cell broadcasts

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GoBlueDevils

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
OK, I finally found where it is in the settings. It's actually a part of the Messaging app. I opened up the Messaging app, then went into the settings for that app. Inside there, there is an "Emergency message settings" section. I now have a few additional follow-up questions. The "Emergency Alerts" item allows you to enable/disable different kinds of alerts. I know what the "Amber Alert" item is for (missing child alert). However, what is the difference between the "Extreme Alert" or "Severe Alert" options?

Also, in the "Emergency message settings" section, there is an item called "Emergency notification preview", where it plays a sample emergency alert tone. However, it doesn't give you an option to change it!?! Is there a way to change the sound?

Also, there is a "Vibrate" checkbox. I had mine checked, but apparently that doesn't mean that it will vibrate in PLACE of the alert tone, as I would expect. Is there a way to actually receive the alerts, but only as a vibration?

irislopez76

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you that was helpfull the samething happen to me, and my phone was in silent there was no way to turn it off and my screen was blocked by it. It is very important, t hat we pay attention to these alerts but in the middle of the night i even had a nightmare.:)

smooth2222

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Well if its possible, they should set the amber alerts to motion, so only if your phone is moving or has motion you receive the amber alert. not sitting still by the night stand.

would be a easy fix, just disabled mine too, was also woken up 2am in the morning, over 1 hour away.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
On behalf of all parents, please leave it on :)

Aye. How many Amber Alerts does your area get that it's such a nuisance? I'm 20 miles from Chicago and haven't once gotten a single Amber Alert, and you would think a huge city like this would have them all the time. Are you really going to risk the lives of innocent children just because the alert woke you up one night? Seriously, how often can that possibly happen that it would warrant turning off lifesaving features?

Carthenian

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
To the guy that just can't possibly understand what an inconvenience it is because he openly admits he has NEVER gotten one of these. Well, you're an *****. Obviously plenty of us are getting them and are annoyed to the point we seek a way to turn them off. I live in Oklahoma, I've gotten at least 5 recently. The reason I am here now at 2am, is that I just got another one that in no way applies to me and was looking for how the hell to turn them off. Once again I was sleeping happily in my bed when all of a sudden it sounds like a nuclear missile is being launched. I've even heard this recently on local news that these alerts are causing more and more people to opt out. I am doing so myself, and if anyone else wants to you have no business telling them they shouldn't since you haven't experienced it and the system needs to be improved. Another person mentioned having them only go out when the phone receiving them is in motion, like when you're actually driving and might see the person. That would be one way to partially deal with the problem, and I'm sure there are other very clever and innovative ways to improve on this process. For now however, if you don't want them don't let someone else guilt you about it. It has been a huge inconvenience for me and very often these are false alarms. People came here, like me, to find out how to turn them off. We did not ask for your opinions or for your guilt, simply instructions.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
To the guy that just can't possibly understand what an inconvenience it is because he openly admits he has NEVER gotten one of these. Well, you're an *****. Obviously plenty of us are getting them and are annoyed to the point we seek a way to turn them off. I live in Oklahoma, I've gotten at least 5 recently. The reason I am here now at 2am, is that I just got another one that in no way applies to me and was looking for how the hell to turn them off. Once again I was sleeping happily in my bed when all of a sudden it sounds like a nuclear missile is being launched. I've even heard this recently on local news that these alerts are causing more and more people to opt out. I am doing so myself, and if anyone else wants to you have no business telling them they shouldn't since you haven't experienced it and the system needs to be improved. Another person mentioned having them only go out when the phone receiving them is in motion, like when you're actually driving and might see the person. That would be one way to partially deal with the problem, and I'm sure there are other very clever and innovative ways to improve on this process. For now however, if you don't want them don't let someone else guilt you about it. It has been a huge inconvenience for me and very often these are false alarms. People came here, like me, to find out how to turn them off. We did not ask for your opinions or for your guilt, simply instructions.

If you haven't figured it out yet. You can adjust the settings for it inside the text message settings. Its under emergency alert right below notification settings.

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...

ChibaDave

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I was just hit with my first Amber Alert and it scared the crap out of me. Good thing I wasn't in a customer meeting.

I found the settings in the Messaging app on my Galaxy s2, but also saw no way to change the alert tone. I am a parent, too, and sympathize with the need to be alerted, but the tone is ridiculously OTT. I don't want that kind of noise near my head unless my house is on fire, an intruder has entered, or we're under some kind of attack! God forbid you have an infant sleeping near you!

Please someone tell me there's a way to set a different alert tone. I'm happy to be alerted to something like this, but let me choose the sound!

ksb63

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
We get those damn amber alerts from are at least 6 hours away, the closest one was an hour and a half. Just glad can turn it off.

IT Consultant

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately Blocking Mode does NOT stop any EMERGENCY alerts (Amber, Severe, Extreme nor POTUS). My phone is set to block everything between Midnight and 9 AM yet this has never stopped those annoying Emergency Alerts for Amber, out of Texas when I live a day away in Illinois! Nor has Blocking Mode kept me from being shocked awake by the National Weather Service two nights in-a-row not for a possible tornado but for frakking RAIN! Needless to say, I was forced to completely disable all of the deselectable Emergency Alerts (Amber, Severe & Extreme), alas Emergency Alerts from POTUS are not able to be opted out of under Android 4.1.2. As all Emergency Alerts that you have selected will override your Volume/Silent Mode/Blocking Mode settings, if you attend School or important work meetings where having a phone go off unexpectedly at MAXIMUM VOLUME with one of the most deafening tones available can result in your suspension or reprimand or even in a darkened cinema, then your best bet until Google resolves this with a respect for Aiplane/Blocking/Silent modes is to completely disable them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think I would want to be notified of tornado alerts even if in meeting or movie theater, but otherwise agree the user should have more control.

loribst

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
This morning my phone went off with a normal text alert.. I think.. It was 330am Lol. I have the new Nexus. I found it under settings/Data usage- more/Cell broadcast settings/Show amber alerts and vibrate on alert. And FYI.. the reason Washington got it and everyplace in between is because they were prob driving straight across on the freeway to chehalis, wa .. and with many fast food chains being open all night it was prob a good way to hopefully catch them in a drive thru. It definately is phone specific. My daughters phone has no internet but got a cmas alert.

sjd1201

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info on how to turn thee off. I've had about 5 of these things in the last few days. If I could control the sound, I would gladly leave it turned on. However, when I'm in a conference room with customers, I can't do a whole lot to locate that black F-150. I'd be happy to see the message when I check my phone before leaving the office. THEN I might be able to contribute.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You could pause your meeting for a minute and get someone to check the parking lot or wherever for the F-150. What if it was a kidnapping or something similar? Also, if it was an emergency chances are others in your conference would get the message. Taking the time either way could sway your clients decisions in your favor.

composed by my imaginary construct for you.

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone started blaring an alarm last night at 2am. It took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from, but I eventually realized that it was my phone. It turns out it was an Amber Alert sent to all capable cellphones in the "area". According to info I found, we are allowed to opt-out of these alerts and disable them. However, it says that we must contact the carriers to find instructions for changing the settings on each specific phone. I know the Amber Alert is a useful tool, but when they wake me up in the middle of the night for an Amber Alert that is 200 miles and a 3+ hour drive away, it can get rather annoying!

Does anyone know where I can go in the Settings to turn off the Amber Alerts for a Sprint Galaxy S3?

I'm really confused right now, and I'm not trying to be a **** or troll here. I just don't understand why you are asking how to turn it off, when you clearly posted that the information you have found said to contact the carrier to find instructions for changing the settings on each specific phone.

Have you tried contacting your carrier? Or do you not have a carrier to contact? If that's the case, who is sending out the Amber Alerts, and how are you making phone calls?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon