Terrible 4G connection

jmchristian

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
First, sorry for the bad technical jargon I'm spewing, I am not sure what to call certain things.

I've recently switched phones from some version of the Thunderbolt on Verizon's network (work phone) to the SG3 on Sprint (personal phone). When I first turn on my phone, I have 4G LTE signal for about a minute, then it goes away. 3G is on and off frequently. I also lose calls frequently and have never had that problem with Verizon. I currently have my wireless settings set to LTE. Probably should also note that I live and work in the Kansas City Metro/Downtown, so according to the coverage map, I should get great coverage. I have had my phone for 2 months and have yet to utilize the 4G capabilities during a task from start to finish. Anyboyd else have this problem? I also have issues with phone calls dropping, frequently. I live in the metro, this shouldn't happen as often as it does.

I know Sprint is not as fast as Verizon, but I can't even use my data plan 90% of the time and that 10% of the time I am connected to wi-fi. I'm just trying to figure out if it is "my" phone, with coverage, or an issue with the model (SG3).

Thanks in advance.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Two possibilities come to my mind.. Are you looking at the Sprint coverage map? If so, that has been found to not be very reliable. There is an app in the play store, Sensorly, that is user generated, and much more believable.. Another thing, it is possible that they are working on the towers themselves, that would be the reason for dropping/attaining 4G.. Also, I've noticed in Wichita, that if you are on the fringe of the 4G tower, it switches me over to 3G, so distance from the tower can be a factor as well.. Or, you could be one of the unlucky ones and got a faulty phone. This is not likely, just a thought

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Two possibilities come to my mind.. Are you looking at the Sprint coverage map? If so, that has been found to not be very reliable. There is an app in the play store, Sensorly, that is user generated, and much more believable.. Another thing, it is possible that they are working on the towers themselves, that would be the reason for dropping/attaining 4G.. Also, I've noticed in Wichita, that if you are on the fringe of the 4G tower, it switches me over to 3G, so distance from the tower can be a factor as well.. Or, you could be one of the unlucky ones and got a faulty phone. This is not likely, just a thought

I agree with this. I'd check the Sensorly app for your area.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

stevedub

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm located in Hagetstown Maryland I bought my phone in December and their map said no 4G sensorly said I had 4G sure enough I had 4G my best speed test 31Mb down stream and sprint didn't even have us on the map.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

zuzonline

Feb 28, 2011
www.zuzonline.com
I get great 4G connection in Peabody, MA which is not even an official 4G state yet, many cities here have 4G and it's pretty good so far. This may sound stupid but have you tried updating profile and PRL?

Zuz
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk