bdecastro77

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Would like to know what the benefits of rooting your phone are.. Notice a lot of people on this site have their phones rooted.. Please explain

Cash Money Castro

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Would like to know what the benefits of rooting your phone are.. Notice a lot of people on this site have their phones rooted.. Please explain

Cash Money Castro

Biggest 3 reasons:
#1 being able to make a nandroid backup of your phone (this is not just app backups, it is like how PCs do a clone image). Can do it normally without an external SD card but if you do have one, be sure to select "backup to external sd card" so you can save space on internal. This is THE reason it makes no sense to ROOT and then stay with the stock recovery. You should Root and install Clockworkmod Recovery so you can make backups. Without a nandroid, your only option when things get messed up is do a factory reset and start all over.

#2. Ability to freeze or even delete apps (Sprint or Samsung apps that came with the phone that you normally can't do anything about)

#3. Run Root only apps like Titanium Backup (backs up apps that change and freezes bloatware), or Roam Control (forces roam only mode to save battery in a poor sprint signal area)

Minor other reasons: Wifi tether to run just your laptop off your phone (I don't believe in running free hotspots, but that is for another thread...), or be able to modify system files like how I like to silence my bootup and shutdown sounds...

The best news is (thanks to Skunkape's posts and stickies, it is REAL easy, you just have to read the posts and understand what you are doing. The only downside is you don't get OTA updates to Android thru the phone without restoring back to original condition ( which you can do, again thanks to Skunkape). For rooted users, once an OTA comes out we usually get it sooner by checking this forum for a prerooted version somebody has made and downloading and installing that one instead of the OTA. I used to do this with my Epic.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Think of rooting like your windows computer. I'll bet that most people have set themselves as admin vs a regular user because as admin (root) you can do so much more with your system without having the hassle of constantly typing in a password or switching users ( to your admin account). Being rooted is the same thing. As the superuser (su) of your phones system, you can actually delve into things like themes, system files and apps that require su (root).

Nicole Gamble

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Biggest 3 reasons:
#1 being able to make a nandroid backup of your phone (this is not just app backups, it is like how PCs do a clone image). Can do it normally without an external SD card but if you do have one, be sure to select "backup to external sd card" so you can save space on internal. This is THE reason it makes no sense to ROOT and then stay with the stock recovery. You should Root and install Clockworkmod Recovery so you can make backups. Without a nandroid, your only option when things get messed up is do a factory reset and start all over.

#2. Ability to freeze or even delete apps (Sprint or Samsung apps that came with the phone that you normally can't do anything about)

#3. Run Root only apps like Titanium Backup (backs up apps that change and freezes bloatware), or Roam Control (forces roam only mode to save battery in a poor sprint signal area)

Minor other reasons: Wifi tether to run just your laptop off your phone (I don't believe in running free hotspots, but that is for another thread...), or be able to modify system files like how I like to silence my bootup and shutdown sounds...

The best news is (thanks to Skunkape's posts and stickies, it is REAL easy, you just have to read the posts and understand what you are doing. The only downside is you don't get OTA updates to Android thru the phone without restoring back to original condition ( which you can do, again thanks to Skunkape). For rooted users, once an OTA comes out we usually get it sooner by checking this forum for a prerooted version somebody has made and downloading and installing that one instead of the OTA. I used to do this with my Epic.

In regards to the above statement about not getting OTA updates on rooted phones but by getting it as a download with the help of prerooted versions somebody has made , downloading & installing that one instead of the OTA; Do you know if someone has made one for the new Jellybean update for us rooted folk? If so, can you please point me in the right direction to obtain said update?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Nicole, Are you on ICS right now? If so, then the info is from Skunkape and here's how to do it with the files you need to download. FOLLOW thread #4 entitled "If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you." I would make an assumption that you probably don't need the Deodexed version, so select "LJ7 Full Odexed Version" and follow Skunkape's instructions.

If YOU ARE ALREADY on Jellybean 4.1.1 and are looking for the newer Jellybean 4.1.2 (or 4.2 whatever they are calling it), then NO! It is only a leaked version right now and not be the final that they will put out in the OTA. I suggest you wait unless you are into experimenting.

Last edited:

phippsy84

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my phone yesterday and and am running the CWM custom recovery and have titanium backup. I like running a stock rom for now anyway, but I like being able to freeze apps i never use with titanium backup and keep them from using up memory. Just the little things for now.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone yesterday and and am running the CWM custom recovery and have titanium backup. I like running a stock rom for now anyway, but I like being able to freeze apps i never use with titanium backup and keep them from using up memory. Just the little things for now.

Don't forget to make yourself a Nandroid Backup of your phone with CWM! You might be glad one day you did!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
In regards to the above statement about not getting OTA updates on rooted phones but by getting it as a download with the help of prerooted versions somebody has made , downloading & installing that one instead of the OTA; Do you know if someone has made one for the new Jellybean update for us rooted folk? If so, can you please point me in the right direction to obtain said update?

Nicole,

Your best bet is to wait for the official version to come out. You are on wicked and it is the most current version at this time. Don't do something I know you will regret.

When an official update comes out, I will make sure that there will be a path for you to update. I will not advise you to load unofficial versions on your phone at this time.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

We might not get ota. But onces its leaked we will have it. Like sense 5. We will get thay way before Verizon OKs it. Will get 4.2 before Verizon OKs it. Some ROMs have their own OTA system. So you do get ota just not the super late ones from VZW. That's why you read the comments about the ROM before installing. You gotta do research before download/installing a ROM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
We might not get ota. But onces its leaked we will have it. Like sense 5. We will get thay way before Verizon OKs it. Will get 4.2 before Verizon OKs it. Some ROMs have their own OTA system. So you do get ota just not the super late ones from VZW. That's why you read the comments about the ROM before installing. You gotta do research before download/installing a ROM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

The Sprint SG3 WILL get the next update of Jelly Bean (yes, mark my words, Eyores!). Whether we get Key Lime Pie is the only question, and I suspect we will.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint SG3 WILL get the next update of Jelly Bean (yes, mark my words, Eyores!). Whether we get Key Lime Pie is the only question, and I suspect we will.

Yeah. I always see everyone but Verizon getting updates. :( wish someone else had good coverage in my area

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Nicole Gamble

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nicole,

Your best bet is to wait for the official version to come out. You are on wicked and it is the most current version at this time. Don't do something I know you will regret.
When an official update comes out, I will make sure that there will be a path for you to update. I will not advise you to load unofficial versions on your phone at this time.

Thanks for looking out for me a whole lot Skunkape60!
As I've said before, you are the man! LOL!

Nicole Gamble

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nicole, Are you on ICS right now? If so, then the info is from Skunkape and here's how to do it with the files you need to download. FOLLOW thread #4 entitled "If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you." I would make an assumption that you probably don't need the Deodexed version, so select "LJ7 Full Odexed Version" and follow Skunkape's instructions.

If YOU ARE ALREADY on Jellybean 4.1.1 and are looking for the newer Jellybean 4.1.2 (or 4.2 whatever they are calling it), then NO! It is only a leaked version right now and not be the final that they will put out in the OTA. I suggest you wait unless you are into experimenting.

Thanks rando991! Skunkape60 has my back as do you...you guys are GREAT!
tHANK YOU!!

Last edited:

Saagna Bata

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys im planning to buy a samsung glaxy S3 mini..and im interested on your root program..can some1 show me how or pass me a link??..

- - - Updated - - -

Guys im planning to buy a samsung glaxy S3 mini..and im interested on your root program..can some1 show me how or pass me a link??..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta