How do I freeze apps?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I have Titanium Backup but I do not see an option to freeze apps. I see there is a paid version that is $6, so do I hafta pay $6 to have that feature? If so, are there any other good FREE apps that I can download to freeze apps? Thanks.

And yes I am rooted.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have Titanium Backup but I do not see an option to freeze apps. I see there is a paid version that is $6, so do I hafta pay $6 to have that feature? If so, are there any other good FREE apps that I can download to freeze apps? Thanks.

And yes I am rooted.

Yes. That is s paid feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

And yes I am rooted.

Yes. That is s paid feature.

What skunk said :D

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Not sure of which version of Android you are running but both ICS and JB you can do it directly from settings.

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Just get Titanium Backup Pro Paid version. It's your most important app and only $6. I had MyBackup Pro and Bloat Freeze (i think that was the name) and bought all of them, but the one I love is TB.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just get Titanium Backup Pro Paid version. It's your most important app and only $6. I had MyBackup Pro and Bloat Freeze (i think that was the name) and bought all of them, but the one I love is TB.

I might just do that... BUT isn't disabling an app in the settings the same as freezing an app? If it is, then why pay $6 for a feature that already comes with the phone...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I might just do that... BUT isn't disabling an app in the settings the same as freezing an app? If it is, then why pay $6 for a feature that already comes with the phone...

There is no "disable apps" in the phone settings. You can Force Stop, Clear Data, Clear Cache and Uninstall, but you must have an app to freeze them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There is no "disable apps" in the phone settings. You can Force Stop, Clear Data, Clear Cache and Uninstall, but you must have an app to freeze them.

How about you actually LOOK before you say something without having any knowledge...

ROFLOL. Joe, I believe disabling the app in settings accomplishes pretty much the same thing. However, I think there are some apps that can't be disabled, but can be frozen using TiB.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
ROFLOL. Joe, I believe disabling the app in settings accomplishes pretty much the same thing. However, I think there are some apps that can't be disabled, but can be frozen using TiB.

SMH at some people -___- but yes I know that. Hence why I wanted to know if I hadda purchase TiB to get that feature. Bloatware is WACK! Just changed ROMs though to JB 4.2.1 so I don't even need it anymore :)

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
How about you actually LOOK before you say something without having any knowledge...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

[edited by moderator]

You CANNOT disable apps in phone settings. You CAN disable widgets in settings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Rando, you're 100% completely wrong. Settings / Application Manager / All. Tap on a built in app. Try Media Hub. See that button, just to the right of "Force Stop"? The one that says "Disable"? Yeah, that's what it does. The option doesn't exist for every app, but it does for many.

[edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Rando, you're 100% completely wrong. Settings / Application Manager / All. Tap on a built in app. Try Media Hub. See that button, just to the right of "Force Stop"? The one that says "Disable"? Yeah, that's what it does. The option doesn't exist for every app, but it does for many.

Ok I guess I am wrong, I did not look at any system apps. Sorry I gave you wrong info Joe. I guess I can't help you with Titanium then since I don't have enough "knowledge". I don't know why you started attacking me, I was just trying to help you. I missed that feature on the system apps. I think though you had better watch your temper on this forum.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude, Stop with the name calling. Yes you posted a picture of a WIDGET. Yes, you "schooled" me on the disable feature, are you happy? Don't you remember that I helped you not make any rooting mistakes by pointing you to the qbking77 videos? Why all of a sudden do you want to argue with me. People here are only trying to help. Sometimes we do get it wrong. I obviously did, I apologize for calling you a newbie. I hope you can also be an adult now. Now here is something that can help you. If you do disable one of those apps and you want to get it back, you can find it in Titanium Back up as a frozen app. Then you can defrost it.

Or you can scroll all the way in the manage apps, and all the disabled apps are there ;)

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Well here's one other reason you may choose to have Titanium Backup for freezing that the disable setting won't do. If you have an app to check say football scores but don't need it during the offseason, you can freeze it and all of your team settings and just defrost it next season. As far as I know the disable feature does not work on downloaded apps, only the factory installed ones. I have an ESPN app that always starts and I may not even use it for half the year. You only other options would be to let it run like bloatware, or uninstall it for the period you don't need it, but then when you wanted it again, you would have to go through the entire app setup process.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Dude, Stop with the name calling. Yes you posted a picture of a WIDGET. Yes, you "schooled" me on the disable feature, are you happy? Don't you remember that I helped you not make any rooting mistakes by pointing you to the qbking77 videos? Why all of a sudden do you want to argue with me. People here are only trying to help. Sometimes we do get it wrong. I obviously did, I apologize for calling you a newbie. I hope you can also be an adult now. Now here is something that can help you. If you do disable one of those apps and you want to get it back, you can find it in Titanium Back up as a frozen app. Then you can defrost it.

Umm, rando, Yahoo news is an app. Every Widget has an app behind it that supplies data to the widget. Aside from that, just a piece of gentle advice: before swearing someone is wrong, multiple times, at least make the effort to check what they wrote and see if they might actually be right.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Either way the guy admitted he was wrong. In my opinion from reading the posts you both jumped on each other and some had valid points and others were wrong.

All in all he said his bad. Just relax sometimes Joe.. It's okay for people to be wrong as well as it is for someone to be a newbie (as Rando was quick to jump to) that's why we have a forum.. To discuss.

I try and help people on here all the time but am not always right.. I learn stuff everyday from just reading. So chill :).

As he said titanium Backup is usually good for freezing bloatware that you can't see in that list to disable.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. The bickering needs to stop. This includes calling another user a "newbie," arguing about whose post count is higher, and insulting other members.

If you see posts that are inappropriate, please hit the report button to alert the moderator team. By arguing in the thread, you are adding to the problem.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited: