Your Way to Update to MA6

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Maybe dumb question... I was rooted before and downloaded/installed what was in post one. Now I am not rooted. Should I follow post 2 but not perform the firmware upgrade since that is already installed?

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
If in settings / about phone baseband says (it should) it's MA6 you'll be fine without flashing the modem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

TigerDave99

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, I woke-up this morning find my very first "System Update" message on my 3 month-old S3 (on version LJ7). It's rooted with stock ROM, so I came here right away.

After a lot of reading and research, I changed first my recovery from CWM over to TWRP (which I have to say is pretty nice). Then I installed GooManager so I could update TWRP to the latest version of 2.4.3.0. No problem. (Hint: To update using GooManager, Install the app and open it. Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will install the recovery automatically.)

After all that was said and done, I booted to TWRP. That's when I ran into problems which took me a few hours to resolve.

Once I cleared the cache and dalvik (I did not perform a factory reset because I didn't want to go through the pains of setting everything back-up), I installed the 21MB baseband firmware file "Galaxy-S-fre3-MA6FirmwareModemAIO.zip" using TWRP with no issues.

However, when it came to installing the ROM, using the method originally posted by Ytsejamer and the 158MB "update_SPH-L710_LJ7_to_MA6.zip" file, I kept getting the same error at the end of the update process that led to "Installation Aborted" -- "Status 7".

Solution: Use the "MA6 Full Odexed Version" link Skunk provided with the 770MB "MA6_update_FULL_Odex.zip" file. That worked for me.

Now onto the MB1 update...

Last edited:

gschuck

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted with the stock ROM and CWM and I followed the instructions laid out in the second post. Well, I almost followed them. I used the odex version of the zip file and I DID NOT do the full data wipe -- just cache and dalvik because I am hate rebuilding my phone. Under "about", I show Android version 4.1.2 and baseband version L710VPBMA6. Everything seems normal. The only problem is that I am still getting the "system update" notification, both in the top bar and the popup that I have to manually dismiss. Is there a way to make this go away without the full data wipe or is that going to be my only option?

Thanks in advance.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted with the stock ROM and CWM and I followed the instructions laid out in the second post. Well, I almost followed them. I used the odex version of the zip file and I DID NOT do the full data wipe -- just cache and dalvik because I am hate rebuilding my phone. Under "about", I show Android version 4.1.2 and baseband version L710VPBMA6. Everything seems normal. The only problem is that I am still getting the "system update" notification, both in the top bar and the popup that I have to manually dismiss. Is there a way to make this go away without the full data wipe or is that going to be my only option?

Thanks in advance.

That's because it wants to update to MB1 now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gschuck

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I did not realize that there were two updates. It would be nice if the updates from Sprint had a useful "about" to say what they are. Anyway, I looked back through this thread and did not find specifics on how to go from MA6 to MB1. Do I just let that update itself as it is a baseband update and not an OS update? Is that ok to do with a rooted/stock setup? Post #126 makes me think that this is the case but I thought I should ask as I really don't know.

Thanks again.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I did not realize that there were two updates. It would be nice if the updates from Sprint had a useful "about" to say what they are. Anyway, I looked back through this thread and did not find specifics on how to go from MA6 to MB1. Do I just let that update itself as it is a baseband update and not an OS update? Is that ok to do with a rooted/stock setup? Post #126 makes me think that this is the case but I thought I should ask as I really don't know.

Thanks again.

This should do you right...

If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock MB1 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.
Please thank freeza in his xda thread.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
3. Flash Firmware
4. Flash ROM
5. Reboot

Odexed MB1 Zip

Deodexed MB1 Zip

MB1 Firmware/Baseband/Modem zip

rkimble9

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Finally got around to update rooted stock phone to MA6...problem. Did a dirty flash of firmware and Odexed Rom, firmware took but Rom didn't. Deleted downloaded Rom and re downloaded it and did a another dirty flash of odexed. It went thru but when rebooting I get just the samsung logo and it freezes. Did a CWM backup before updating and can get into recovery. Do I start over and do data/factory reset or? What is my next move?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Finally got around to update rooted stock phone to MA6...problem. Did a dirty flash of firmware and Odexed Rom, firmware took but Rom didn't. Deleted downloaded Rom and re downloaded it and did a another dirty flash of odexed. It went thru but when rebooting I get just the samsung logo and it freezes. Did a CWM backup before updating and can get into recovery. Do I start over and do data/factory reset or? What is my next move?

The data reset right now will most likely fix your issue of being stuck on the Samsung screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital