gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the system and OS have been pretty high up on my phone while on my friends S3 its around 4%. I heard there is a gsiff_daemon bug so I went and fixed that but its still up at 20-40% areas like it has always been. Are there any other ideas or some setting I'm over looking for some reason? Running stock ROM

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-10-10-04-32.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-10-10-04-32.png
    138 KB · Views: 38

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Understand that the total of all those percentages has to add up to 100. So if your phone is sitting idle a lot, and not actually being used for much, the percentage for application usage and screen usage will drop, and for Android it will go up. Simple math.

That looks to be your situation. If you've gotten nearly a day and still have 39% of battery left it doesn't look like you've used your phone for very much at all during that day. (assuming the stock battery). Tap on the row that says "screen" and see what screen on time is, and do a print screen. Then go back to this screen and tap on the graph, and do a print screen there, and post both images. But if you're running the stock battery and getting a day's worth of usage, I don't think you have any issues.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
It's like that even when I use it a lot. But will do once I can
Understand that the total of all those percentages has to add up to 100. So if your phone is sitting idle a lot, and not actually being used for much, the percentage for application usage and screen usage will drop, and for Android it will go up. Simple math.

That looks to be your situation. If you've gotten nearly a day and still have 39% of battery left it doesn't look like you've used your phone for very much at all during that day. (assuming the stock battery). Tap on the row that says "screen" and see what screen on time is, and do a print screen. Then go back to this screen and tap on the graph, and do a print screen there, and post both images. But if you're running the stock battery and getting a day's worth of usage, I don't think you have any issues.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's like that even when I use it a lot. But will do once I can

It would be interesting to see a screen capture of your friend's battery usage, too.

I believe if you go to XDA there is a post on this and how to fix it!

There are several possible causes of Android System eating your battery, but if any of those were the issue he'd never get 20+ hours of battery life. But here are some things he can look at:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...android-system-eating-your-battery-check.html

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry it took so long, been feeling under the weather and thought it would be best to do a normal battery cycle. Have the screens posted down below... not sure why its saying screen on at 48 min when it hasn't been.
Android System eating your battery? Check this.

I actually saw that a few weeks ago and did the steps. Nothing really came up but decided to add the .bak and it seems to help a bit but not a whole lot.

It would be interesting to see a screen capture of your friend's battery usage, too.

I'll have him send me a screen once I can get a hold of him

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-11-18-51-38.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-11-18-51-38.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2013-03-11-18-52-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-11-18-52-21.png
    64 KB · Views: 14

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't see anything to be concerned about. You're at about 10 hours at 50%, or 20 hours total, which is pretty good on a GS3 with a stock battery. Based on those screen shots your phone has been used very little. The only apps to make it on the battery usage list are at 4% and 5% of total usage. That means all the system processes are going to rise by default, since the total has to equal 100%.

Right now I'm at 40% battery left after 15 hours, and Android system is at 29%, because I didn't do much on my phone today. If a system process was running out of control you'd be lucky to get 8 to 10 hours on a full charge. 4 to 6 would be more likely.

What do you think you should get on a full charge?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Without throwing some crazy number i'm not sure what i should get, just good battery life to last me though the day with a good amount of usage. It just bugs me how its just up there all the way and other phones i've seen arent. Like the screen i can see being at a good % (still don't know why its saying 48 min), guess its kinda a OCD deal
I don't see anything to be concerned about. You're at about 10 hours at 50%, or 20 hours total, which is pretty good on a GS3 with a stock battery. Based on those screen shots your phone has been used very little. The only apps to make it on the battery usage list are at 4% and 5% of total usage. That means all the system processes are going to rise by default, since the total has to equal 100%.

Right now I'm at 40% battery left after 15 hours, and Android system is at 29%, because I didn't do much on my phone today. If a system process was running out of control you'd be lucky to get 8 to 10 hours on a full charge. 4 to 6 would be more likely.

What do you think you should get on a full charge?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Without throwing some crazy number i'm not sure what i should get, just good battery life to last me though the day with a good amount of usage. It just bugs me how its just up there all the way and other phones i've seen arent. Like the screen i can see being at a good % (still don't know why its saying 48 min), guess its kinda a OCD deal

Every phone is different.... You could look at 20 phones and see different usage depending on what the person does, what widgets, syncs, apps, etc. they have running in the background.. All that. There are SO many factors for battery drain.

As you can see my system is up there.. Screen just overtakes it because I charge mid day but still used phone a good amount.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363057823082.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363057823082.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363057829410.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363057829410.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
This is true. Thanks guys a lot. I've used Android for awhile so i'm not 100% new but always wanting to ask questions and learn more about it :cool:
Every phone is different.... You could look at 20 phones and see different usage depending on what the person does, what widgets, syncs, apps, etc. they have running in the background.. All that. There are SO many factors for battery drain.

As you can see my system is up there.. Screen just overtakes it because I charge mid day but still used phone a good amount.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

The key is that the numbers all have to add up to 100. When your phone isn't doing anything else (screen on, downloading data, playing a game, etc.) Android system is pretty much all that's using battery. The fact that the percentage is high doesn't normally mean it's using a lot of battery, but rather than nothing else is using battery. Spend a couple of hours surfing the web or playing games, and you'll see the percentage of battery allocated to Android system drop as it goes up for those other apps.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am inclined to agree. In the first pic, you went nearly 24 hours and technically still don't need to charge. On a day that you aren't doing anything, play with your phone, get a game and play the crap out of it. Then you will see your power consumption go up. In 11 hours, I can go through 70% of my battery easily, and that's if I keep my game playing under control.

In the second screenshot, you went 10-11 hours and had about half your battery remaining. I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22