Samsung Galaxy S3 Mega Battery Drain(please read)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If the problem comes back, it could be related to a specific corrupt files on the SD card, rather than the card itself.

I would at least wait and see if what you've done so far resolves the problem before doing a factory reset.

Ghostnyc

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
If the problem comes back, it could be related to a specific corrupt files on the SD card, rather than the card itself.

I would at least wait and see if what you've done so far resolves the problem before doing a factory reset.

I considered the possibility of a corrupted file on the sd card. Im reviewing all the files (mostly mp3's) to make sure thats not the culprit. However if I unmounted the sd card, shouldn't that end the scanning of the card? Just to clarify the reason why I reformatted the sd card was because I read that the battery drain could be potentially be caused by a media scan of the card getting stuck in some loop or jammed up trying to read a corrupted file.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Removing the card will certainly end the scanning of the card (but not the scanning of the internal SD0, which could also have a corrupted media file on it). Unmounting it would, I think, prevent scanning of the card, but sometimes Android and Android apps do things I would never expect.

And yes, you're correct that a corrupted file, or a corrupted directory structure, on the SD card (or internal storage), can cause the problem you were seeing. And by copying all your media files back to the SD card, you could possibly have copied a bad file back to it.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My S3 has done this since before the MD4 update. I'll actually feel it getting very warm in my pocket, and the battery is steadily dropping. It seems to be an app hanging up and running the processor up. A reboot always fixes it temporarily.

I've not been able to isolate the app causing it. I thought it was Doggcatcher at first, but I left that off for a few days, and the problem returned, even after a factory reset. I'm beginning to believe its Google Now.

Michael Robison1

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how strict your folks are, but all of the problems you describe (phone heating up, quick battery drain, etc) are all signs of spy programs installed on the phone. The number 1 way to tell is if you get a new battery and the problem persists. Flexispy among other programs will cause this because the bridge that allows others to read your texts, emails, listen to phone calls and get your GPS locations whenever they want, all use data. When your phone is idle, watch your transmission indicator. If it comes on randomly, especially after you rcv texts, emails, etc, then your phone could be sending info to someone else, like your parents, or spyware may have been installed by a program you downloaded.

Hope that's helpful and doesn't just make you paranoid.

Jay Zee

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
i recently updated my SG3 I9305 and the battery is draining so much faster then it used to be. Normally a full charge will last me around 20hours with at most 10h of usage but now it last less then 10h and i haven been using much. Sometimes it will also heat up when i am only replying my friends through whatsapp or text. I have tried to do a factory reset and turned off google now and sync but it is still draining alot. When i look at the battery usage, screen will always take up the most of more then 20% followed by android system with more then 15%. What can i still do? It is currently running on 4.1.2.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
i recently updated my SG3 I9305 and the battery is draining so much faster then it used to be. Normally a full charge will last me around 20hours with at most 10h of usage but now it last less then 10h and i haven been using much. Sometimes it will also heat up when i am only replying my friends through whatsapp or text. I have tried to do a factory reset and turned off google now and sync but it is still draining alot. When i look at the battery usage, screen will always take up the most of more then 20% followed by android system with more then 15%. What can i still do? It is currently running on 4.1.2.

Jay Zee, there is another good thread going based on this same topic, I'm experiencing the same issue you noted. This other thread is a little more current, but hopefully we can start collecting all the people seeing the same issues: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/286671-sudden-battery-drain.html#post2848982

Ladie Clair Forever

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
SOME MORE ADVISE: I don't know if you found a fix for this yet but I recently had the same problem. It was bad. I took my fully charged phone off the charger and literally within seconds it went down to 55%, within a few more minutes I was down to 21%. I had a phone that I couldn't use unless it was plugged into the charger. Also, the internet and other functions would be insanely slow. I did some research and did everything that everyone here has already recommended. I used Power Save Mode, turned off GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, powered the phone down and removed the battery (which also got hot for no reason). That stuff was helpful but not a fix. My battery was still draining fast, even while on the charger. I gave it some thought and remembered that the problem began after I downloaded an app (Jurassic Park Builder) that was advertised across my screen while I was using another app. I deleted that app and reset my phone and now the problem is completely fixed. So my advice to you is - Remove any apps that came from advertisements (if you have any) and never download apps that are solicited to you while you're in another applications. There's a chance that the apps are tracking your use so they can further advertise to you or put add-ware on your phone. Hope this helps somebody.

Anthony Michel

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Greg. I downloaded the ES file explorer on my S3. However the directions : " if you use this, make sure to hit Menu, Settings, Root Settings, and check "Root Explorer", "Up to Root", and "Mount File System". I cant find these options any where. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you for the help

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
ES recently underwent a major redesign, and the UI is completely different.

I *think* what you need to do is tap the little icon near the top left that looks like a phone superimposed over a globe. Then expand "tools", and tap root explorer. Then tap "Mount R/W."

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Galaxy S3, my carrier is ATT. I would like answers also.:-\

You have "what" exact issue? There are 55 posts in this thread. Don't expect people to read through them all and try to guess exactly what you're experiencing. Have you read those 55 posts and tried any of the suggestions already given? If not, that's where to start. If you have, tell us exactly what is happening, provide screen captures, and tell us exactly what you've already done to try to fix the problem.

Mark Treccia

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem..then I figured out Google now is a battery HOG! Turn this off it wants to use you GPS to locate you. Do this and yoir battery will laat much, much longer.

Troy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I've tried steps 1-12. Android System use still at 50%. I 'force stopped' just about everything Google. Android System use is now at 6%! I'm not sure how long 'force stopping' all these apps. will last. But right now I'm happy with the 6% usage!

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Farhan Ahmed1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Try uninstall samsung push service and u will see everything would be ok and your phone no longer heat up as before i did that and i solver it that was the ****n samsung push service who cause it