Yahoo mail issues?

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Recently for no apparent reason, I am getting error messages reporting that Yahoo sign in has failed. I am using stock rom rooted with stock mail app. I know the password is correct and have changed it several times and re-entered it several times and appears correct on the ingoing and outgoing set-up pages. Funny thing is that it appears to repair all by itself and will work flawlessly for a period of time.

Any ideas or suggetions? I would prefer to continue to use this app.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
you could always try uninstalling and the reinstalling app.

if it is working fine, and then goes on the fritz, it makes me think that it could be a problem with the phone or its connection rather than the app.

if it is even possible with Sprint Galaxy S3, if all else fails and you could try a factory reset, but you'll lose all your data.

if the phones os was recently updated, it is also possible that the app is not compatible with the phone's os.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
you could always try uninstalling and the reinstalling app.

if it is working fine, and then goes on the fritz, it makes me think that it could be a problem with the phone or its connection rather than the app.

if it is even possible with Sprint Galaxy S3, if all else fails and you could try a factory reset, but you'll lose all your data.

if the phones os was recently updated, it is also possible that the app is not compatible with the phone's os.

running stock mail app on stock rom, would prefer not to wipe. that would be time consuming. Can someone put up a link to the stock mail app? Iwould definitely try uninstall and reinstall.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
just curious, and i'll expose my ignorance by asking these questions, but what does it mean by "stock mail app" and "stock rom." is that different than the OS that was installed when you got your phone? and this is also kind of a dumb question, but doesn't the Sprint Galaxy S3 have an app store where you can download the official Yahoo Mail app.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
stock means the app and rom (operating system)that came with the phone. I am not talking about the yahoo app or the gmail app. I have three accounts on the email app.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
stock means the app and rom (operating system)that came with the phone. I am not talking about the yahoo app or the gmail app. I have three accounts on the email app.

I get it. You are just using the stock email app, and your yahoo account isn't functioning, (but the other two probably are).

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Does this issue occur usually occur after you log in to that account through a computer or other source?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

scott8

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Ithe same thing happens to me. I also had this issue on a EVO 4g LTE so I am not sure if it is the phone or yahoo causes the problem. It did not start happening on my S3 until I had the phone for awhile.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
running stock mail app on stock rom, would prefer not to wipe. that would be time consuming. Can someone put up a link to the stock mail app? Iwould definitely try uninstall and reinstall.

Try deleting that one email account from the mail app, and then recreate it. Don't know if that will solve the issue, but it's easy enough to try. Doing this has solved issues with my Exchange account in the past.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same thing happen with my account. Happened a few months back too. Talked with their tech support who could not resolve it. It finally just started working on it's own again. Makes me think it's actually a Yahoo issue. Very inconvenient.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, definitely a yahoo issue. I get multiple notifications of the same email as well. It's a 'push' problem. I think the error message is really a connectivity quirk.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
this is an interesting thread. i am s3 but with verizon. i came in here to just see how sprint was. i no longer can get one of my yahoo accounts either on the s3. it says the same thing. password incorrect. i tried deleting it out and it wont let me do that either. it has to be yahoo or maybe even the s3 because thart account comes up on my samsung tablet and also on my laptop.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

scott8

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have not gotten the sign in failed notification for a couple of days now. I always could access the emails by opening the email app.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not having any problem accessing my Yahoo account. I'm using the default mail app on my GS3, on Sprint.

Well, I spoke to soon. This afternoon I got the same error. I haven't changed my password at all, and can still access Yahoo from the desktop. Fortunately, I only use Yahoo for registering on commercial websites, so nothing I get on that is likely to be very important. But as close to death as Yahoo is, they really can't afford to alienate any customers. And there doesn't seem to be any way to actually reach a real person at Yahoo to report a problem.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, definitely a yahoo issue. I get multiple notifications of the same email as well. It's a 'push' problem. I think the error message is really a connectivity quirk.

Have you tried clearing the cache in the email app itself through the Application Manager? Not quite a factory reset, but it may help.

Last edited:

Mirciu Florian

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello, That solution it is working for Samsung Galaxy S4. I believe that it is working Samsung Galaxy S3 or any other device with android OS

To set up Yahoo! Mail in Android Mail:

Tap Manual Setup.
Tap IMAP.
Enter the following server setting information:
Incoming server: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port #: 993
Security type: SSL (accepts all certificates)
Outgoing Server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port #: 465
Keep all other settings the same.
Complete the remaining setup process.

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree, except it might also be a Sprint problem. But either way, it's not the phone itself, and it's not the Yahoo credentials. It only happens to me when I'm on a data connection, as opposed to a wireless connection. (It doesn't always happen when I'm using data, but when it happens I'm always on data (and it always happens in certain areas, such as the local cardroom, which has 4G).)

Marc Jacobson

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
This is seriously the most annoying issue I've encountered with connecting to Yahoo! Mail from the stock app. It randomly works and doesn't work. Sometimes it even says, "Incorrect user name or password" and still downloads new mail. WTF?! It's completely random, and I've seen issues reported from many different phones and providers, so it's either an issue with the android mail app or with Yahoo Mail, and likely won't ever get resolved. Being in the software industry, I can tell you this type of issue is so low on the list of Yahoo, Samsung, Google and anyone else that might be the cause, that it's not worth any of their time to collaborate and try to fix it.