bluetooth in the car

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a new car. (it's a Kia)
It's got bluetooth. It does the very basics. The commands are "Call, redial, and cancel" lol
So when the Bluetooth is on, with the navigation, there is no sound anywhere. The navigation thinks a headphone is plugged in, and nothing can be heard either out of the phone, or the speakers in the car.
Music plays through the car speakers, incomming calls through the speakers. Isn't the Navi supposed to be through the car speakers too?
Is there a hidden setting?
I found driving mode (buried in the language and output setting), which doesn't do anything as far as I can tell

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Driving mode will read your text messages to you, I believe. Nothing more.

I'm not sure if Nav will play throught BT at all, but if it does it's going to need to use the BT media profile, which your car apparently doesn't support. Neither does mine. I use the 3.5" jack to get the Nav directions to my car stereo. One question, though: when you say music plays through the speakers in your car, do you mean music from your phone, or music from your car's stereo system?

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, music from my phone will play through the cars speakers when bluetooth is on/ I have to cycle to the different modes on the car stereo system until I get to the mp3 option.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. So it appears your car does support the media profile. When you're listing to music that way, and use Nav, what happens when the phone tries to give directions? If I'm listening through the 3.5" jack, the music pauses and the Nav speaks, then the music starts up again.

Make sure, when in Nav, that the volume isn't turned all the way down. It's a different volume setting than call or ringer volume. I thought it was the same volume setting as audio (music) volume, but perhaps not.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, your question to me triggered a thought... I hit the aux button until the mp3 player showed up. THEN, I can hear navigation. So it looks like I will have to listen to my mp3's during navigation. What's more important? SiriusXM or the Telenav? lol
I will try the headphone jack theory when I get a chance to buy one. Maybe with the headphone jack, I can get SiriusXM and Telenav to play nice, and work together.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nope, probably not. I suspect that for your head unit to recognize the 3.5mm jack, it's going to have to be set to Aux input. Mine is the same way. The head unit recognizes only one input at a time. So if I'm listening to music while navigating, it's either mp3s or Pandora.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand why you'd have your aux line plugged in if everything can go over to your head unit via BT audio. I would assume that your Navigation audio would follow suit...but you know what happens when you assume. :)

My 2006 car only supports BT handsfree phone only. I had to buy an app called SoundAbout Pro which allows for proper routing of BT phone output while connected to the AUX input via the headphone jack on the phone. Samsung for whatever reason is stupid when it comes to audio routing on this phone. With the app, my phone acts exactly as meyerweb pointed out...music plays until NAV lowers the playback volume, barks out the navigation, then volume is brought back up to level automatically. Or, when a call comes in, the audio app is paused, the phone audio goes over BT to the car, then once the call is over, returns audio apps through the jack again. By default with the S3...if you have your headphone jack plugged in, the phone stupidly routes phone audio through the headphone jack and not the BT.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Jamer, do you have to start that soundabout app every time you turn on bluetooh? Or does it kick in with all your settings automatically when you start bluetooth?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
By default with the S3...if you have your headphone jack plugged in, the phone stupidly routes phone audio through the headphone jack and not the BT.

That's not how my S3 works. My car also supports BT handsfree phone only, but if I'm listening to audio through the phone jack, and get a call, BT picks it up just as it should, the audio input is muted, and when the call ends music starts paying again.. And I have no 3rd party app installed.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Jamer, do you have to start that soundabout app every time you turn on bluetooh? Or does it kick in with all your settings automatically when you start bluetooth?
No...it's an automatic process. My phone with the app now acts like every other manufacturer's phone on the planet.

That's not how my S3 works. My car also supports BT handsfree phone only, but if I'm listening to audio through the phone jack, and get a call, BT picks it up just as it should, the audio input is muted, and when the call ends music starts paying again.. And I have no 3rd party app installed.
That's interesting...and I'm jealous. When you get a call and have the headphone jack plugged in, does your phone call show the green BT icon in the lower right square? Mine does not...because SoundAbout is overriding now my phone natively handles things. Without that app, when I have my aux line plugged into the headphone jack, BT phone audio will try going out over the aux line instead of over BT.

I wonder if it maybe is due to the BT version that my car supports versus the one that yours does? I dunno...my wife's iPhone works perfectly, my EVO OG worked perfectly...never had an issue until this S3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about the icon. When I'm listening to music via the 3.5" cable, and I get a call, I answer it by pushing the phone button on my steering wheel. I don't generally look at the phone. I'll try to remember to look the next time. I'm running 4.1.2 on Sprint, but I'm pretty sure it worked this way on 4.1.1, also.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the S3, I remember reading about this issue. I went ahead and bought SoundAbout Pro but never opened it or looked at the options. My phone seemed to be working on its own as I would expect. I thought perhaps my phone or the update of 4.1.1 at the time took care of things.

Fast forward a couple months...and there was an update to SoundAbout which totally fubared everything, but the developer was able to rectify it with another quick update. During the day or so with problems, I completely wiped SoundAbout from my phone and lo and behold...the original Samsung bug did actually bite me, I just never realized it. SoundAbout being loaded and running automatically in the background resolved it...even with zero input from me.

As for the icon...yeah, you can answer the phone via your steering wheel. Your phone will show the phone app and in the bottom, there are like six tiles...for lack of a better word. The bottom right should be a Bluetooth icon which should likely be lit up green.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lostandfound