File Transfer - Kies-Air, Android-Air, Other???

GatorJAB

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I have had my Galaxy S3 since Christmas and while i love the phone i have a issue that i know plenty of others do as well. Let me preface i lead a Apple family and only recently made the move so i'm learning on the fly. The only thing i like about Apple ( my kids / wife love it but i'm so-so ) is how iTunes makes it easy to manage your music, movies, pictures etc.

I'm now to the point of trying to get this on my S3. I've tried Kies, Kies-Air and Airdroid to some level of success and failure. My comments / questions below.

Kies - have so-so luck with my mac or thinkpad recognizing the S3 when plugged in by cable.
Kies-Air - think i've got it working but the ONE issue i'm now is that while it recognizes the external SD card it doesn't allow me to create folders / sub-folders on the card.
*** I've drilled through "my files" and there is no folder or sub-folder to get to the ext-SD card.
Android-Air - i've got this working but the ONE issue is that it does NOT recognize the external SD card.
*** I've loaded files using this and then navigated through "my files" and "moved" them to the ext-sd card. - this is a fix but it's labor intensive.

Does anyone have comment on either Kies-Air or Android-Air to resolve the problem OR recommend something else.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I have had my Galaxy S3 since Christmas and while i love the phone i have a issue that i know plenty of others do as well. Let me preface i lead a Apple family and only recently made the move so i'm learning on the fly. The only thing i like about Apple ( my kids / wife love it but i'm so-so ) is how iTunes makes it easy to manage your music, movies, pictures etc.

I'm now to the point of trying to get this on my S3. I've tried Kies, Kies-Air and Airdroid to some level of success and failure. My comments / questions below.

Kies - have so-so luck with my mac or thinkpad recognizing the S3 when plugged in by cable.
Kies-Air - think i've got it working but the ONE issue i'm now is that while it recognizes the external SD card it doesn't allow me to create folders / sub-folders on the card.
*** I've drilled through "my files" and there is no folder or sub-folder to get to the ext-SD card.
Android-Air - i've got this working but the ONE issue is that it does NOT recognize the external SD card.
*** I've loaded files using this and then navigated through "my files" and "moved" them to the ext-sd card. - this is a fix but it's labor intensive.

Does anyone have comment on either Kies-Air or Android-Air to resolve the problem OR recommend something else.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I find the easiest way to transfer any type of file is with an OTG cable and any USB thumb drive. I've also used AirDroid but it can take quite alot of time for large files.

GatorJAB

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Ramer... I just ordered two for a total of about $5.00.

Update for others. So i found a post about Airdroid to look in the system folder for "extSdcard" and located it. I am now able to create folders etc and upload my files. The only "catch" is Airdroid doesn't see this as a mounted disk like sdCard so each time you have to remember to go into the system folder. It works but would be nice to have it fixed so it could be mounted.

Still interested in Kies-Air if anyone knows because of it's "overall" capabilities...

Thanks all again.

Jeff

GatorJAB

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I give. While i was able to get files transferred with Airdroid to my extSDcard now the stock music apps don't see them. I can go thru "my files" and find them but half of my music doesn't play and i get the error something like "doesn't support this type file". All of my music is mp3 so i don't understand.

I like the phone generally but am tired of the fact that very basic things like this are just a disaster.

About ready to drop this aggravating piece of equipment.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I give. While i was able to get files transferred with Airdroid to my extSDcard now the stock music apps don't see them. I can go thru "my files" and find them but half of my music doesn't play and i get the error something like "doesn't support this type file". All of my music is mp3 so i don't understand.

I like the phone generally but am tired of the fact that very basic things like this are just a disaster.

About ready to drop this aggravating piece of equipment.

Hang on a second here....for your music, you should be able to create a music folder and drop music files into it. Should be that simple, and that is how I have done it.

As for the external SD card....when you tap My Files, do you go right to your Internal SD memory? You can go into My Files, and tap the menu button>Settings and there you can change the home directory. You tap on it, and then you can navigate in or out until you see two files: extSDCard and sdcard0, you can click DOne at the upper right hand side of the screen. sdcard0 is your internal storage, by the way.

Hope that helps.

GatorJAB

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
golfdriver97 you are a rockstar thank you very much for your info. worked like a charm. Now if i can just figure out why i can't play half of my music because of the message about "unsupported file type"... its all mp3...

thanks again!

Last edited: