damaged SD Card

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
All of a sudden i got a message saying my SD card is damaged and I have to reformat and lose all data. I have no idea why this happened. Is there a way to fix this or is all of my data gone?

skarface1988

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
All of a sudden i got a message saying my SD card is damaged and I have to reformat and lose all data. I have no idea why this happened. Is there a way to fix this or is all of my data gone?

There a program that can fix it. But you have to search for it on google. "Sd card formater" or something.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a samsung SD card. It won't show up when i plug my phone into the computer either. Is there anyway to get this restored?

skarface1988

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
It's a samsung SD card. It won't show up when i plug my phone into the computer either. Is there anyway to get this restored?

When its damage , its damage.
You need sd adapter to plug your micro sd into your adapter, and insert it into your computer.

You need a sd formater, you can find them on google. Its free! That's the only way you can save you micro sd card but either way you will lose everything.

It happen to me before....

Tushar Gundev

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
when its damaged just don't reformat it and put it in sd card reader ,if you use windows 7 open it's properties and there is an option of tools>error-checking ,
this will bring your sd card back without even loosing anything.
in my opinion don't use apps like cleaner or automatic cleaner because generally they are the main cause of error

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's more a problem with the phone itself then the card. The sd slot is barely even held onto the phone, it's been shoddily soldered on, and really shouldn't be there at all.

I would suggest a pny card in the future, I use a 16gb and have never had any issues with it, and they are cheaper than samsung cards.

LisaD12

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
when its damaged just don't reformat it and put it in sd card reader ,if you use windows 7 open it's properties and there is an option of tools>error-checking ,
in my opinion don't use apps like cleaner or automatic cleaner because generally they are the main cause of error
thank you thank you thank you!!! I was having the same problem and this work for me :)

MysticAngel7

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I tried the below suggestion and Windows 7 fixed the problem by turning my DCIM folder into an unsupported file (looks like a blank page that Windows won't open without choosing a program). So now I still can't access my photos plus I'm afraid they are all lost for good. Please help. What do I do now?

Last edited:

storyofjamie

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Welp, this just happened to me last night, too. And I've been freaking my balls out hoping I didn't lose all of my pictures. I'm going to try the PC thing after work. Thanks guys. :)

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
It's just a bad bad situation with sd card problems and this phone. I'm on my third sd card including Samsung and SanDisk and I even sent the phone back to Samsung for repair which didn't help either. On my latest card I sometimes get error messages such as "sd card corrupted" or that it was dismounted etc. Usually a phone reset by taking out the battery and rebooting the phone fixes that. But I keep on getting files in my sd card messed up. Out of nowhere files start being renamed and the first letter of the name becomes replaced with a ?. When that happens I basically lost that file because it deleted the file. Also when the file starts with that crazy ?, you can't even delete the file. When you delete it, it shows up again very soon afterwards. It's crazy that the higher ups never recognized this issue. So many people have reported this issue with the s3 (just Google it) that you would think that they would attempt to fix this. Oh well....

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have done a lot of research on failed SD cards. :mad:
It is not just the S3, not any one device...
Just Google the exact term your phone reports and drill back a dozen pages or so.

But the one thing in common is Android OS.
I find accounts of 'failure to mount', 'unexpectedly removed', 'preparing SD card', 'unsupported file system', 'SD card blank or corrupted' and the like going all the way back to late 2008.

No point in shooting the messenger.

Butchie boy

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
There is a great post for fixing the SD card.
It says with windows 7 go to the properties.
I am not very good at this at all, so would someone please detail this a bit for me?
Q. Properties on phone?
Where is it?
Not trying to be a pain, just trying to fix the phone... Thanks!

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
There is a great post for fixing the SD card.
It says with windows 7 go to the properties.
I am not very good at this at all, so would someone please detail this a bit for me?
Q. Properties on phone?
Where is it?
Not trying to be a pain, just trying to fix the phone... Thanks!

He means: Insert the card into the computer, click Start, click on Computer. There you should see your card (like an external drive/card), right-click on it, click on Properties. You'll see several tabs above. Click on the Tools tab. There you will see Error-checking. Click on Check Now.

I hope this helps.

tiarosi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. This did not work for me. Now my computer won't acknowledge the card is in there at all. No reader on my laptop so I'll try on my dad's computer & see if it works.