U.S. Variants are rumored NOT to receive Key Lime Pie Update.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
With this just hitting today. This makes this post even more of a joke/unreputable.

If the GS2 is getting JellyBean, we will get KLP. May be a WHILE before we get it, but I am almost certain we will sooner or later.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I read the article and I am just not buying it. Samsung gave the U.S. GS3 2GB of RAM to future proof the U.S. version. It would not make sense for them to stop at 4.2.2.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Sammobile is reporting it now too->Samsung to update the Galaxy Tab 2 until Android 4.2.2, testing on 1st Gen Galaxy Tabs | SamMobile

It's mainly an article on tablets but the bold red section says smartphones based on dual-core.

If it's true, it's an arbitrary limitation placed on the update by Samsung, not an actual OS limitation. If it did come true that the US S3s won't be updated because of the processor, there would be a huge backlash from millions of angry US customers. That's a huge chunk of marketshare they could lose.

Besides, like other posters have said, the Nexus 10 is dual core and has to get KLP based on the Nexus label, and Samsung's reason for putting 2GB of RAM in the US versions was to future-proof the phone so it could receive updates for at least two years.

It's exactly the opposite of Samsung's best interest to stop the updates short of KLP. There's no way they would do it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
At this point, all we can do is speculate. No one outside of Samsung and the carriers really knows. Not even the bloggers pretending to be reporters acting as if they have inside knowledge. Heck, Samsung may not have made a final decision yet, and if Samsung provides an update there's no guarantee that all the carriers will provide it.

Eventually we'll find out. And, as I said before, if my phone doesn't get KLP it will continue to do everything it does today, which doesn't presentt a major problem for me.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If it's true, it's an arbitrary limitation placed on the update by Samsung, not an actual OS limitation. If it did come true that the US S3s won't be updated because of the processor, there would be a huge backlash from millions of angry US customers. That's a huge chunk of marketshare they could lose.

Besides, like other posters have said, the Nexus 10 is dual core and has to get KLP based on the Nexus label, and Samsung's reason for putting 2GB of RAM in the US versions was to future-proof the phone so it could receive updates for at least two years.

It's exactly the opposite of Samsung's best interest to stop the updates short of KLP. There's no way they would do it.

I would say less than 1% of phone owners come to phone forums. I would be willing to bet that close 99% of mobile phones users don't even know what Keylime Pie is and therefor don't care. We are not that high a priority to Samsung.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I would say less than 1% of phone owners come to phone forums. I would be willing to bet that close 99% of mobile phones users don't even know what Keylime Pie is and therefor don't care. We are not that high a priority to Samsung.

Hey, what brings you back? :)

Agree completely. My wife's LG isn't even on ICS, and she's perfectly happy with her phone as is. If I were to root it and update her she'd probably be mad because she'd have to learn a different way of doing things.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, what brings you back? :)

Agree completely. My wife's LG isn't even on ICS, and she's perfectly happy with her phone as is. If I were to root it and update her she'd probably be mad because she'd have to learn a different way of doing things.

Just thought I'd drop in. Lol..

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Except that with each update to Android, the news gets a higher priority in the media. Whether that means people will know or care which version of Android they use is irrelevant. The people who do know are the most vocal of the customers. Even if Joe Nameless doesn't realize he's using an older version of Android, it won't look good to him when Samsung's Twitter and Facebook feeds are flooded with angry comments from the knowledgeable minority (assuming Joe Nameless cares enough about Samsung to check).

Really, it doesn't matter much what Joe Nameless thinks. If enough high-profile media sources pick up the story, it won't look good for Samsung. Samsung doesn't care about geeks' opinions, and it doesn't care about Joe and Jane Nameless' opinions either. Samsung cares about media hype, because that's what reaches the majority of customers.

Plus, if KLP has enough must-have new features, and the mainstream media picks up on it, people with new smartphones (and the GS3 is still a new phone for many people) will expect to be updated at some point. What do you think they'll think when Samsung tells them that their months-old phone is obsolete?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The only news I've seen about Android in the mainstream press was when the Galaxy S4 was announced. And, at most, they stories indicated it was an Android phone; I don't think any of them mentioned what version of Android. The typical phone buyer cares about phones, not operating systems. IMHO.

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that even a large portion of the ones who want the latest and greatest tech don't really know how to use, or even need, the "latest and greatest". My 71-year-old Dad just got a Samsung Nexus S (and then I finally ditched my BlackBerry and got a Galaxy SIII), and he really doesn't need a smartphone, but he needed the large touchscreen and got it free through an upgrade. The OS has been pretty easy for him to learn well enough to do what he needs to do on it. It wouldn't matter to him if he got the newest version of Android, and it would probably be inconvenient for him anyway, since he'd probably have to relearn some things.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Could be. Or it could be that Google is doing a very good job of hiding what it's doing by naming KLP builds for internal test as JB builds. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm not particularly worried about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer