Your way to update to MD4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
With many thanks to SkunkApe, whose shoes are much larger than mine, I fear....

[note]This will be the way to manually update your phone if you are:

Using a Sprint SPH-L710 Galaxy S3. Do not attempt to install this on any other version or phone.

And if you have the Stock Rom (rooted or unrooted) with all needed bloatware and Stock recovery. If you are using Clockwork Mod or TWRP recovery, see post #2. Note: You must be current and have MB1 on your phone before using the update file. This process will apparently remove root in some cases.
[/note]
Download the following update zip and place it on your external SD card. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked. This may be unnecessary.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

MB1 to MD4 Update Zip

[INFO] The official Sprint changelog is here: Find and update the software version on your Samsung Galaxy S3[/INFO]

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
[NOTE]If you are Rooted and have custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) this is for you. This method will bring you up to date no matter which version you are on.You do not need to update to MB1 first. This is for the Sprint SPH-L710 device only. Do not attempt to flash on any other phone or carrier version.[/NOTE]
This is the Full Stock MD4 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom includes the kernel, but the firmware (radio) is a separate zip.
Please thank freeza in his xda thread.

1. Perform a Nandroid backup, just in case.
2. Download the modem / firmware file, and one of the MD4 ROM files and put them on your external or internal sdcard.
3. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik,
4. Factory Reset (optional, see note below)
5. Flash Firmware
6. Flash ROM
7. Reboot

[Note]If you are currently running stock, rooted MB1 ROM you may be able to skip the Factory reset step and do a "dirty flash." This will preserve all your installed apps and settings, but runs this risk that you will run into problems with some apps. If so, you can perform the Factory reset step later. The safest method is to do a full backup with Titanium Backup or similar tool before you start, and do a full wipe, including factory reset, but many people here have skipped the Factory reset step without ill effects.[/Note]

MD4 Baseband / Modem / Firmware Zip

Odexed MD4 Zip

De-Odexed MD4 Zip

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No, if you're not rooted you need to use post 1 method. Alternatively, you can follow Skunkape's process in the Sprint rooting forum first, and then you can use the post 2 method to update.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S3. Please forgive any typos or auto-correct errors.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
When moving the files onto the internal memory of the phone, do they need to be unzipped? If so, which files need to be selected? I'm having a bit of a brain fart apparently :-[

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
When moving the files onto the internal memory of the phone, do they need to be unzipped? If so, which files need to be selected? I'm having a bit of a brain fart apparently :-[

No, do not unzip them. Copy the zip file(s) to your internal or external SD card, and apply the process to the zip file(s).

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting this failed to verify

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366914181315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366914181315.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,524

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hollywood, which file did you download? Did you try downloading it a second time, in case the first one was corrupted? And which set of instructions (Post #1 or #2) are you following?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the first instructions.... Didnt work first couple times....so I downloaded zip again still getting error....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae