How is everyone liking the new MD4 update?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Seems fine to me. Multi-window isn't terribly useful (yet, for me anyway). Can't find much else that was changed/updated. The "hold home button" brings up the multitask running apps, but has a different "close all apps" icon.

rs7jr

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found a reason to run a stock rom since last October. That is, until md4 came out. So yeah, I like it. Great battery. No lag. Ymmv

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven't found a reason to run a stock rom since last October. That is, until md4 came out. So yeah, I like it. Great battery. No lag. Ymmv

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Mine lags just a tad more when swiping thru my home screens when the home screen I'm swiping thru has either a large widget or a bunch of small ones on the first swipe thru - after that it is not so bad as it seems to be cached - definitely not as smooth as MB1 for me - other than that everything works as it should.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Everything seems pretty great for me so far. Seems really smooth and running better, maybe faster data speeds(?) Multi-window is pretty neat, don't think I'll be using it a lot though
Mine lags just a tad more when swiping thru my home screens when the home screen I'm swiping thru has either a large widget or a bunch of small ones on the first swipe thru - after that it is not so bad as it seems to be cached - definitely not as smooth as MB1 for me - other than that everything works as it should.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Paper Artist seems a little geared towards the younger crowd, but a cool app idea. Multi Window won't be useful to me until they make it fully customizable, but a great feature as well.. I've also noticed Android System and Android OS are taking up about half of the battery that they did on MB1.. I think the difference, if any, in lag in redrawing home screens and opening apps is negligible.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Everything seems pretty great for me so far. Seems really smooth and running better, maybe faster data speeds(?) Multi-window is pretty neat, don't think I'll be using it a lot though

I flashed the firmware uppdate and Freeza's stock optimized MD4 kernal over WS 3.1. I does look like it is running faster.

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I dont mind the update, the gallery is really nice.
My phone is still getting warm from time to time. I usually end up pulling the battery, sd card. I have the battery monitor apk on and it says media etc have been pulling alot of juice and alot of juice fast.

I do not want to do total factory reset.....thought the update might of fixed some things.....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Media gets used whenever anything is being downloaded. Also whenever you reboot, the phone rescans all storage looking for media files so it can update it's pointers to media. Finally, there's an apk that has something to do with DRM's music that has been known to cause problems on earlier releases. I'd suggest installing an app like System Panel, or one of the battery apps, and getting a more detailed look at what's actually eating up the cpu and causing the phone to run hot.

The other possibility is that if you're in a very weak signal area the phone will run hotter as it feeds more power to the radio(s).

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Other than the multitasking window? What other features came with this update? Is there any lockscreen widget? I didn't see it, but thought I'd ask. Also I used go launcher. Will the multi window work with go launcher or am I stuck using touch wiz?

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Other than the multitasking window? What other features came with this update? Is there any lockscreen widget? I didn't see it, but thought I'd ask. Also I used go launcher. Will the multi window work with go launcher or am I stuck using touch wiz?

Also long pressing the home button will bring up a couple of things like clear ram but I think it was Meyer that said it's bad for battery charge.

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Also long pressing the home button will bring up a couple of things like clear ram but I think it was Meyer that said it's bad for battery charge.

That's been there for quite a while.

Here's the official Sprint list of changes:

Find and update the software version on your Samsung Galaxy S3

and here's a list of identified new features in the leaked MC3 build, all of which are also in MD4.
[INFO][SPH-L710/MC3/MD4]Discussion, findings and more... - xda-developers

No lockscreen widgets. That's in Android 4.2, and this is still 4.1.2

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone is getting md4 just now, but I'm just curious if anyone has heard when we might see the 4.2.2 on this device? So far I'm liking this update. I just wish there were more apps that I could put in my multi window tab than the ones already there.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
By "this device" you mean the S3? I haven't even seen any solid rumors yet, much less semi-official schedules. But I would suspect now that Samsung has gotten 4.2.2 out on the S4, and Samsung / Sprint are up to the 4.1.2 with Premium Suite on the S3, they can devote their attention to making 4.2.2 work on the S3.

Unless the rumors of a 4.3 release are true, and they decide to skip 4.2.2 and just wait for 4.3.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
On a semi side note, what do you think will come with the 4.3 update? (if it does come)
By "this device" you mean the S3? I haven't even seen any solid rumors yet, much less semi-official schedules. But I would suspect now that Samsung has gotten 4.2.2 out on the S4, and Samsung / Sprint are up to the 4.1.2 with Premium Suite on the S3, they can devote their attention to making 4.2.2 work on the S3.

Unless the rumors of a 4.3 release are true, and they decide to skip 4.2.2 and just wait for 4.3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Artificial intelligence, mind-reading, and free satellite television.

Seriously? I have no idea. My guess is mainly fixes to bugs that exist in 4.2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox