Removing duplicate application shortcuts

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
From my home screen, when I swipe across the screen to the right, the first two screens have shortcuts for the applications I have installed. Somehow I managed to get duplicate shortcuts. It used to be that I could long press on a shortcut and drag it to the bottom of the screen where a trash can icon would appear. Now when I do this, it just moves the shortcut to the bottom row where the dialer and messaging icons are. In other words, the shortcut from the top of the screen switches places with the messaging icon (or the dialer) depending on where I drag the shortcut.

Posted via Android Central App

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Are these shortcuts adding themselves, or are they just duplicating when you add them to the page? If you can't delete them manually one by one, can you delete the whole home page? It can be a pain in the rear having to set up a duplicate page, but it may be an easier solution.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you long press on an icon, you should get a window with several choices. One choice is "Remove". Just tap it and the icon will disappear.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Also, if you are using a launcher, you may have to make sure that the icon ow illuminated red before releasing.

Ramer84015

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It used to be that I could long press on a shortcut and drag it to the bottom of the screen where a trash can icon would appear. Now when I do this, it just moves the shortcut to the bottom row where the dialer and messaging icons are.
Posted via Android Central App

That sounds like Sense UI (HTC phones). Are you sure you aren't getting that mixed up? With the GS3, you drag the icon to the top and you'll get a red X to remove the icon. But like the other reply mentioned, you can long press on an icon and get choices to select.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like Sense UI (HTC phones). Are you sure you aren't getting that mixed up? With the GS3, you drag the icon to the top and you'll get a red X to remove the icon. But like the other reply mentioned, you can long press on an icon and get choices to select.

Sense UI 4+ does not have a trash can, only options listed at the top of the screen.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem may lie in TouchWiz. Even though I am running a custom Rom, its TW based and new icons overlap a widget.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In Touchwiz, to remove an icon you don't drag to the bottom of the screen. Long press an icon, and a trash can labeled "remove" appears near the top right of the screen. Simply drag the icon to the trashcan. TW has never, to my knowledge, had a trashcan icon at the bottom of the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670