S3 no longer connects as USB media

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've tried several things mentioned here but nothing is working.
We got these not even a month ago. My phone won't connect but the other one will. It used to then decided to heck with it.

When it used to work, where Kies mentions the update check, it said it couldn't do it. But the other phone, it did it and said it was updated. So perhaps this one was borked from the box.

What I've tried:
- Windows 7; tried two different computers.
- I am using the original cable.
- It is directly in the PC, not a hub. (same cord and port that worked with the other phone)
- It charges this way, but isn't seen by the computer nor does the phone say it is connected to via USB
- I've uninstalled Kies several times. It is uninstalled again right now.
- I right-clicked Computer and set it to not automatically update drivers.
- I rebooted and downloaded the latest drivers from Samsung and installed them.

- There was one suggestion in the thread I found here that said to use the keypad and call *#7284#. I did that.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...gs3-just-will-not-connect-pc.html#post2610537
- The UART is set to Modem (it was on PDA) and I tap the Qualcomm USB settings. There is no "PDA" in the list. It is set to MTP. The others are:
MPT + ADB, PTP, PTP + ADB, and some others that mention Modem. Since that post said to not set it to modem, I've not tried those. But I've tried all the others and nothing has worked.

What the heck is wrong with my phone? Mine is the one I've used to try out new apps and the like. The others is used by a technophobe who really is only interested in the phone and the music. And Bejeweled. Sigh.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've tried several things mentioned here but nothing is working.
We got these not even a month ago. My phone won't connect but the other one will. It used to then decided to heck with it.

When it used to work, where Kies mentions the update check, it said it couldn't do it. But the other phone, it did it and said it was updated. So perhaps this one was borked from the box.

What I've tried:
- Windows 7; tried two different computers.
- I am using the original cable.
- It is directly in the PC, not a hub. (same cord and port that worked with the other phone)
- It charges this way, but isn't seen by the computer nor does the phone say it is connected to via USB
- I've uninstalled Kies several times. It is uninstalled again right now.
- I right-clicked Computer and set it to not automatically update drivers.
- I rebooted and downloaded the latest drivers from Samsung and installed them.

- There was one suggestion in the thread I found here that said to use the keypad and call *#7284#. I did that.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...gs3-just-will-not-connect-pc.html#post2610537
- The UART is set to Modem (it was on PDA) and I tap the Qualcomm USB settings. There is no "PDA" in the list. It is set to MTP. The others are:
MPT + ADB, PTP, PTP + ADB, and some others that mention Modem. Since that post said to not set it to modem, I've not tried those. But I've tried all the others and nothing has worked.

What the heck is wrong with my phone? Mine is the one I've used to try out new apps and the like. The others is used by a technophobe who really is only interested in the phone and the music. And Bejeweled. Sigh.

Try updating drivers for Samsung. Download and install on PC. The other thing you can try is making sure USB Debugging is unchecked.

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have already downloaded and installed the drivers directly from Samsung. I mentioned that above.

Developer Options is off but within it, USB Debugging is unchecked.

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Try pulling the battery. It works for me when I'm having that problem.

Posted via Android Central App

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Dang! I was hoping that was it. But, nope. I even turned off AutomateIt's rules that had anything to do with charging or plugging it in, just in case.

Is there a time limit on how long to take the battery out? I had it out maybe 15 seconds.

Eons ago I worked for an arcade game company. One of my duties when we went out on the rounds was to unplug all the malfunctioned machines. As we collected quarters, we plugged them back in then I played with the ones that seemed to be working while the real tech messed with those that weren't. So unplugging electronics is something I usually do first. Can't believe I didn't think of it this time. If only it had worked!!!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Dang! I was hoping that was it. But, nope. I even turned off AutomateIt's rules that had anything to do with charging or plugging it in, just in case.

Is there a time limit on how long to take the battery out? I had it out maybe 15 seconds.

Eons ago I worked for an arcade game company. One of my duties when we went out on the rounds was to unplug all the malfunctioned machines. As we collected quarters, we plugged them back in then I played with the ones that seemed to be working while the real tech messed with those that weren't. So unplugging electronics is something I usually do first. Can't believe I didn't think of it this time. If only it had worked!!!

Try different cables or ports?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have tried that, too. Different computer. Different ports. Different cables.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset.

But if it is somehow a setting vs a failure, if I do a back up, reset, then put the backup back on, won't it just be screwed up again? I could just start all over, I guess. Just makes me twitch.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have tried that, too. Different computer. Different ports. Different cables.<br />
<br />
I'm thinking of doing a factory reset.<br />
<br />
But if it is somehow a setting vs a failure, if I do a back up, reset, then put the backup back on, won't it just be screwed up again? I could just start all over, I guess. Just makes me twitch.

I think a reset is the only choice left....
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
That's what I'm afraid of.

Had the dang thing a month and I've already mucked it up. Sigh.

I'll take it to where I got it and see if they can do anything. If not, then I'll do the reset.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I had downloaded the drivers from Samsung. It worked great for a while, then when I would plug in my phone it said hardware ID missing. For whatever reason that problem came to pass. Then it got to the point where when i would plug it in it was as if I did nothing. Didn't recognize anything. I went to the Samsung drivers folder and uninstalled it. After it was complete I plugged in my phone, told me it was installing drivers, and now it works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
How odd.

I did what Keith Patrick suggested but it didn't change. I even went back into Win7 settings and had it install drivers. Nothing. The computer wasn't even seeing it as a new device. It was charging, but that's it. So I went to our other desktop. It has not had either phone plugged into it so I figured absolutely clean install. Nothing. It started charging, but nothing.

While I was sitting there, I undid the other phone from the cable (it was plugged into the charger, not the computer) and tried that cable. It worked. The computer saw my phone and installed drivers.

I then came back to my desktop and used the second cable. And it works. Windows sees it, the device says it is a USB device, I can even open it and drag/drop files.

But how come the first cable would work with the other phone but not with mine? I had thought I had tried the other phone cable but I guess I didn't. I had used another cable but not the stock one.

Just went back to the other desktop and used "my" cable with the other phone. It connected as a USB device. Brought that phone and cable to this one, it works here, too. For gits and shiggles, I used the first cord on my phone. And...it works.

What the heck?!

I give up. I'll switch cables and not question the mood of the 1s and 0s. What shall I sacrifice to further appease them?

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't know if there is a rhyme or reason to it, but I know first hand it can get very frustrating. Like I said I'm having no issues now, but if history repeats itself I will have the same issue. Glad to see you figured it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The phone continues to connect as a USB device. It will even work through the hub.

Much thanks for everyone's help! I did learn a lot about my new toy as I banged my head trying to figure this out.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I had downloaded the drivers from Samsung. It worked great for a while, then when I would plug in my phone it said hardware ID missing. For whatever reason that problem came to pass. Then it got to the point where when i would plug it in it was as if I did nothing. Didn't recognize anything. I went to the Samsung drivers folder and uninstalled it. After it was complete I plugged in my phone, told me it was installing drivers, and now it works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

The reason it works after reloading the drivers and then stops working after awhile is a Windows update problem.

Windows update will update your usb drivers. When this happens you get the hardware id is missing error. To fix it you must go into Windows and tell it not to automatically update drivers. Then remove and reinstall the Samsung drivers.

If you let Windows update the usb drivers it messes up the Samsung usb drivers. Simple fix....

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How odd.

I did what Keith Patrick suggested but it didn't change. I even went back into Win7 settings and had it install drivers. Nothing. The computer wasn't even seeing it as a new device. It was charging, but that's it. So I went to our other desktop. It has not had either phone plugged into it so I figured absolutely clean install. Nothing. It started charging, but nothing.

While I was sitting there, I undid the other phone from the cable (it was plugged into the charger, not the computer) and tried that cable. It worked. The computer saw my phone and installed drivers.

I then came back to my desktop and used the second cable. And it works. Windows sees it, the device says it is a USB device, I can even open it and drag/drop files.

But how come the first cable would work with the other phone but not with mine? I had thought I had tried the other phone cable but I guess I didn't. I had used another cable but not the stock one.

Just went back to the other desktop and used "my" cable with the other phone. It connected as a USB device. Brought that phone and cable to this one, it works here, too. For gits and shiggles, I used the first cord on my phone. And...it works.

What the heck?!

I give up. I'll switch cables and not question the mood of the 1s and 0s. What shall I sacrifice to further appease them?

Cables are not created equal. Some work well others hardly at all.