viber questions

beaglebaby

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I see no one has experience with Yuilop, which I asked in another thread, so hopefully the Viber person will find my note and help me since they seem like similar services, and I think Viber will work in the international setting the way I am thinking.

My daughter will be going to Spain for almost a month. Sprint has no service there of any kind with the GS3, so would like to load up our phones with Viber and be able to connect. She will have wi-fi in some areas where she will be going, so will definitely be able to get some connection with that, but am wondering if she will be able to connect to or use the 3G service in the area. Is this type of connection carrier dependent or does the Viber app allow anyone to connect to whatever 3G service that is out there. If so, we have unlimited data with Sprint, so am wondering if there would be any other charges that might apply (roaming?). Am probably the least techie person around, so might have to walk me through how all this works step-by-step, as I have no idea how the cell phone internet services work. Thanks!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I see no one has experience with Yuilop, which I asked in another thread, so hopefully the Viber person will find my note and help me since they seem like similar services, and I think Viber will work in the international setting the way I am thinking.

My daughter will be going to Spain for almost a month. Sprint has no service there of any kind with the GS3, so would like to load up our phones with Viber and be able to connect. She will have wi-fi in some areas where she will be going, so will definitely be able to get some connection with that, but am wondering if she will be able to connect to or use the 3G service in the area. Is this type of connection carrier dependent or does the Viber app allow anyone to connect to whatever 3G service that is out there. If so, we have unlimited data with Sprint, so am wondering if there would be any other charges that might apply (roaming?). Am probably the least techie person around, so might have to walk me through how all this works step-by-step, as I have no idea how the cell phone internet services work. Thanks!

I answered in you other thread.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Using Viber (or Skype or whatever) will depend on having Internet access. Being abroad, try to use WiFi only. You can get free WiFi at McDonald's, Starbucks, and some hotels. I used McDonalds and Starbucks abroad a number of times.

If you NEED to use 3G (i.e., no WiFi access), then don't go roaming as it will be ridiculously expensive. Get a local SIM card with some data plan. BUT that will mean your phone will have to be unlocked to be able to use a SIM of another company.

Can you unlock the GS3 free of charge where you live? We can do in Brazil (where I live). We just take it to a shop or go to the provider's website and login, and pick phone model, and enter IMEI, and we receive the unlock code. I did that for my Galaxy Ace last year when I went to Europe and it worked a charm.

I have a GS4 now, but haven't needed to unlock it yet.

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
This is Viber's rep. :)

@beaglebaby - Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.

Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.3MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Viber

Valentina Ezra

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey,
Viber is a lot like you mentioned, It is the best hands down for calling anywhere! I talk to Europe everyday with hardly interuptions. Clear as a bell, I recommend it. There are a few things you need to know if the other party has wifi and you call 4g or 3g it wont work, also if you have a 4g you have to switch to (cdma) it only works on 3g. also you cant use wifi, what I know is I phone has to be on 3g also. If its droid to droid 3g only. Hope this helps, I have been using it over a year and I am on it almost all the time. Its amazing! Make sure you clear any open apps it helps with signal. Viber will have an indicator if your signal is weak or strong....LOL sounds weird but I took it to sleep and I was connected all night. you may have to adjust things a bit at first but then its great!!

Viber

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to save a push and play message sent to me by a friend on my phone?

Those messages are automatically saved internally in Viber. You can find the audio messages at: <HOME>/viber/media/.ptt

Note that need to set "show hidden files" in the file manager in order to see the files there, and that those files can be opened only via Viber.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar