from sprint to straighttalk on used sph l710

Joceyvdv

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
it is possible. I have a sprint s3 that i've had on straight talk for over a year now. I sent it out to a guy on ebay who offers flashing for $75 got it back within a week of sending and works without any issue.

you do not need to flash.
Go to walmart and buy the "byop" by straight talk. All instructions are included. I have samsung galaxy s3 from sprint and have been using it on straight talk for a long while and works great

Deborah Deats

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The Sprint version of the Note 2 easily transfers over to Straight Talk. My son took the one he bought directly to Walmart and the lady in Electronics did everything for him. He just had to buy a new CDMA activaction kit for $59 (includes a $45 card). It works great on Straight Talk!

d4ddysgirl

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
The Sprint version of the Note 2 easily transfers over to Straight Talk. My son took the one he bought directly to Walmart and the lady in Electronics did everything for him. He just had to buy a new CDMA activaction kit for $59 (includes a $45 card). It works great on Straight Talk!
I checked my galaxy s3 L710 compatibility on straight talks website n it says its not supported

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try what the person in post #82 suggested? That would be an easy way to start considering that you have to get the SIM card somewhere.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Mary Clark2

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I called straight talk and they initiated everything over the phone yesterday including me paying for a plan and my phone is not working. I have spoken to over a dozen representatives reading from a script to pacify me and all I want is a working phone. What else can I do to make my phone work? I ##72786# all day with no results; I am so frustrated.
SG S3 is the type of phone I have

kaysee0124

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am having the same problem, and i followed all the steps you advised. I got the MSL code and entered it now all its saying isSCRTN is change to factory default value for DSA. i have hit both yes and no and all it does is try to activate through the sprint service again. It will not activate through straight talk. I have updated both PRL and PROFILE. Yet it still wont work. Do you have any advice? I am going to call ST in the morning and see if they can help. I went on my online account and it says that the phone is still activating. But its not on my end. BAAHHHH. Im about to go crazy.

Thanks for your help....

kaysee0124

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeh its possible. I just did it like 2 weeks ago. He is right. I had my S2 with Sprint, Boost, and Straight Talk. My sprint bill was monthly $97, and ST is only $45/m. I did everything online on ST site. Never even had to call sprint I just got a prorated ETF for $120 like a week later. But first ST ported my sprint number over and had my phone activated with them in less than an hour. ((Never cancel current service before you port a # from it. Your current contract will auto cancel with out you needing to call, and as soon as your number is ported by the new provider. If you cancel first, your # is lost forever)) BUT, the problem is you dial that dialer code that he said, THEN immediatly after you have to enter the MSL sprint unlock key. If your not rooted then you have to convince sprint to give it to you. If your rooted to get the code just download alogcat from the market and watch the video on using it to get MSL code to show in the Logs in the App. Then you enter that code, hit ok, device reboots, update your PRL and PROFILE under settings, then your done. Your on Sprints network if you look under "Phone Info", but actually your activated through Straight Talk. Its weird because I'm on sprint network it says, but on activated service with ST. I know its sprint towers because my signal is still in the same places ;) So, they must use Sprints towers too or partner idk. Its also odd how on ST site under FAQs, it clearly says GSM only no CDMA can be used on their network. Weird Idk... But Im using my sprint phone with them regardless. So, YES it is possible to use a sprint or CDMA phones on T-Mobile, AT&T, GSM, Sim card networks, or w/e straight talk uses. I dont get near the 2.5 GB limit and I use a lot of internet and data apps wit no WiFi and never had a limit problem. Note: You cant switch from Boost to Sprint. They only allow it Vice Versa. Its stupid. I'd recommend ST if you can root and unlock your phone. You give up 4G capabilities though but idc I never was in a 4G zone anyways. There are also other ways to get MSM code. ST site actually has unlock instructions under their "devices info".

Post edited by Moderator

Hi, I am having the same problem, and i followed all the steps you advised. I got the MSL code and entered it now all its saying isSCRTN is change to factory default value for DSA. i have hit both yes and no and all it does is try to activate through the sprint service again. It will not activate through straight talk. I have updated both PRL and PROFILE. Yet it still wont work. Do you have any advice? I am going to call ST in the morning and see if they can help. I went on my online account and it says that the phone is still activating. But its not on my end. BAAHHHH. Im about to go crazy.

Thanks for your help....

supreme83

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
from everything i have looked up involving switching to straight talk i see that u can switch any gsm/cdma phone except blackberry and iphones..u can purchase a new sim card for 6.99 or cdma for 14.99 via st site

You cant switch "any" gsm/cdma phone. Some CDMA phones have GSM capabilities and others do not. No GSM phone is going to work CDMA. What straight talk has is two seperate services. one that is cdma and onne that is gsm. you can flash any cdma phone to their cdma network. you can unlock a phone for their gsm. You can not put a cdma phone on their gsm unless it is one of those CDMA phones that can double as GSM phone

tnorthrop

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: from sprint to straighttalk on used Galaxy S3

Looking to switch from Sprint to more cost reasonable carrier and keeping my Galaxy S3.

What carrier plan options do i have? What changes must be made to phone? Who makes the changes? How much do the changes cost?

Same question also for switching my wife's iphone 4 from sprint to a cheaper plan choice?

Thanks so much for any help and info!!!!!
Tom N

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Tom, your only options are Sprint mvno's if you wish to keep full functionality.
I'm not sure if you could flash to Verizon and have 4G, but if you are looking for a cheaper plan this isn't an option anyhow.
Depending on your use, Ting could be the best option for you.
Some people say they come in under $15 a month.

Crystalgr80

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I rarely chime in on these but there is a lot of misunderstandings and misuse of terms goign on and the guy chiming in as "3rd Level Tech" has no idea what he is talking about.

"Unlocking" a phone - gsm term for unlocking a phone for use with a SIM card.
"Flashing" a phone - cdma term for programming MDN/MIN/Data settings/PRL in cdma phone for new newtwork

the pic is of an S4. many of the newer cdma (sprint and verizon) phones have SIM cards slots but on most of these phones they are for 4G Lte authentication only. A few (mostly Verizon's) are global phones and can be rooted and have the sim card unlocked for GSM carriers to varying results.

A sprint phone can be used on straight talk since they use many different types of phones.

the guys talking about the bandwidths and frequencies used by carriers....ignore that stuff (edit: it matters depending on your area and what is being used by a particular company in your area but most will work, best verification is to check with the company. a yes from them is always a yes and a no may still be a yes as far as an answer to the question will it work on that network, if you know what your doing.

I wouldnt recommend letting anyone do the flashing that requires ESN modifications and donor devices lol you know what i mean. To me this ruins both phones for most peoples future use and is a clumsy way to get onto a new newtwork

1st make sure the carrier you want can/will activate the phone.....Cricket takes any cdma. Boost/Virgin Mobile are Sprint and will not be activating any Sprint phones with a bad esn. Again, straight talk is offering BYOP on cdma and gsm phones. PagePlus is Verizon..and there are many services out there. GSM phones can be unlocked to use with other gsm carriers and data will work as long as your APN information is configured for new carrier.
1 your using a cdma phone. so "flashing" services/info are what you want to look into.
IF DIY youll need cdma tool (DFS) or CDMA workshop to program and change prl. 2 You'll need a PRL for new carrier, MSL code (getprop.ril MSL if on below 4.0.4 on the e4gt), drivers for your e4gt, and APN information

google any of the terms i mention. and the information is easily out there. you'll need to check other forums to find more info as AC does not have much on the topic or any major developers for that matter...i stopped coming around here and got into other forums because as much as i love the "android community" the people here can sometimes be well meaning enthusiast but most often are trolls screaming about how knowledgeable they are while giving misinformation to each other that can damage your phone. none of this is illegal. taking a phone you own to a new carrier that will activate it is not illegal. Flashing the phone is not hard and is a matter of having diagnostic drivers installed correctly, the correct prl and information for new carrier, and reading instructions without altering them. You're looking inthe wrong place for any information about flashing phones

If anyone needs help with flashing or rooting a phone. PM me. - thats not a sales pitch for any services or private solutions... just a neighbor offering to help free you from the Matrix

So srry new to this. Could u possibly help me? I dont know how to pm someone on here.

Posted via the Android Central App

bobby1212

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey I could use your help please with flashing a Samsung s5 from Sprint to Verizon. Can you please help me! I don't even know how to send a private message