Traveling to Thailand

FilmDr

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I do not want to pay the steep Sprint fees for using the phone portion or data while traveling to Thailand. However, my question is, can I turn off those features and still use the Wi-Fi feature if there is a wireless WI-Fi signal available within reach? And will that cost me anything while doing that?

I have a Thailand phone that uses a SIM card to use while traveling in Thailand which is WAY cheaper than Sprint. However, it doesn't have all of the same features that the Samsung Galaxy has.

Thanks for any advice and help.
Richard

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off all roaming and turn on airplane plane mode.That should work. One good thing about our phone is that if you shut down while in airplane mode, the phone will restart in airplane mode. I use the 1-2 Call Sim card brand while in Thailand but they're all good.

Last edited:

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I go to Canada a few times a year, and sprint rapes us on the charges and fees. Just turn on airplane mode, and then turn on wifi, airplane mode disables everything when you turn it on. But yea, as long as your around wifi you'll be fine, and not charged a penny. You'll notice your phone lasts for like 3 days too! :cool:

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh, almost forgot, right before you board the plane, turn off mobile data. That will try and poll sprint every now and then, and freezes your phone sometimes if it can't reach the mothership.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sprint is a CDMA carrier. Thailand, I believe, uses GSM. I don't think your phone will connect to any carrier in Thailand no matter what you do.

But yes, you can turn off wireless data, and turn on WiFi, and use WiFi without problems.

FilmDr

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the explanations.

Airplane Mode = ON
Mobile Data = OFF
Roaming Settings = International Voice and Data OFF

I appreciate the lesson VERY much!

Richard

lasooner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have someone specific you want to communicate with you can both download Kakao, a free app. If you both have kakao you can talk and text for free using your S3. You would need a strong wifi signal I imagine.

catborg

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I do not want to pay the steep Sprint fees for using the phone portion or data while traveling to Thailand. However, my question is, can I turn off those features and still use the Wi-Fi feature if there is a wireless WI-Fi signal available within reach? And will that cost me anything while doing that?

I have a Thailand phone that uses a SIM card to use while traveling in Thailand which is WAY cheaper than Sprint. However, it doesn't have all of the same features that the Samsung Galaxy has.

Thanks for any advice and help.
Richard

There's a little button in the menu that can turn off data usage. Just leave your WiFi on at all times and leave the data off, and you'll be fine. Leaving it on airplane mode will turn off everything -- even voice.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There's a little button in the menu that can turn off data usage. Just leave your WiFi on at all times and leave the data off, and you'll be fine. Leaving it on airplane mode will turn off everything -- even voice.

Like I said previously: Thailand is a GSM country, Sprint uses CDMA. He's not going to get any voice or cellular data connection no matter what settings he uses.

catborg

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Like I said previously: Thailand is a GSM country, Sprint uses CDMA. He's not going to get any voice or cellular data connection no matter what settings he uses.

I was under the impression that the S3 had the hardware to support GSM bands (but they were simply disabled), but after looking it up, it would seem that only the Sprint version does not physically have the hardware to support GSM. Shame on you Sprint. :( Verizon is also a CDMA network, and it has GSM bands in the phones (but they're disabled)! Welps, I guess it's time for me to switch carriers.... It's almost about time, too. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34