GF's Sprint GS3 screen bleed, now completely black

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So on Sunday, while out shopping for furniture, we noticed that the left side of her screen started turning pink. Even more interesting is that the pink areas seemed to match the spots that one's hand holds the phone (i.e. a long area along the side matching the "heel" of the hand, and a smaller spot near the top matching where the thumb rests). Gradually throughout the day, the pink spread out more and became more vivid.

Next morning, the phone screen was completely black. You could barely see the startup screen when turning it on (just the faintest blue), but the phone is completely unusable.

Is it possible for the heat from one's own hand to have caused damage to the screen in this way? She hadn't dropped the phone nor gotten it wet while we were out on Sunday. Just to be safe, I looked for the Liquid Damage Indicators, but could only find the one on the battery. The web seems to say the one under the battery on the actual phone should be just above the connectors, but the little square indentation where it supposedly goes is empty on her phone. Does Sprint replace that LDI with their own large sticker in the middle of the battery bay? In either case, the LDI on the battery is white, as is the large Sprint-labeled sticker inside. There is no pink in either to indicate water damage. Nor are there any scuffs to indicate it being dropped.

I'm just concerned that they won't give her a new phone. Her GS2 died only about a month ago due to a bad USB connector (wouldn't charge the battery), and so instead of paying the fee to replace it under the $8/month fee for the $99 deductible, she paid $149 for a GS3 that now has no screen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I hope she kept the insurance in force on the new phone. I've never heard of heat from someone's hands damaging an LCD. It would take a lot more than that. In general, LCD damage like that comes from impact, but like any other item defects happen. Good luck with Sprint.

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope she kept the insurance in force on the new phone. I've never heard of heat from someone's hands damaging an LCD. It would take a lot more than that. In general, LCD damage like that comes from impact, but like any other item defects happen. Good luck with Sprint.

Yes, she kept the insurance, although they raised both the monthly fee and the deductible ($11 and $149, respectively). However, it has not been dropped or immersed, and so they had better honor the OEM warranty.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's really up to manufacturer to honor the warranty, not the retailer. The problem is that there's no way to tell if a phone has been dropped. Maybe some day there will be impact sensors inexpensive enough to include in phones, like today's water sensors.

nrod9

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me yesterday after dropping the phone 6 inches !!! Had to go out and buy a new phone but would like to repair the GS3. Do you guys figure it is worth it. No exterior damage at all... Just pink and blue hues to start and now completely blacked out ! Thx

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys figure it is worth it
I don't think it's worth it to spend ~$120 to replace the screen assembly when you can spend twice that and buy a brand new Moto 3G; better to sell the remainder of the parts on eBay.

Take the money that you get for the parts and invest it in a nice case for your phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000