Browser Lags

Paul Tracey

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 from sprint and the Internet is horrible, it lags so bad. When I use apps that require data and even the play store downloads I dont seem to have any trouble. Ive tried nearly every data refresher app and the internet works awesome for about 10-15 seconds after a refresh, also a reboot seems to do the same thing. Some things I quite dont understand is at times my browser's (since ive tried nearly all the top 10 browsers to see if it was the stock browser) is that 4g with 3-4 bars and the orange download icon (incoming data) can be slower browsing then 3g zero to 1 bar with intermittent orange download icon (incoming datal. What these icons represent in reality beets me. You would think 4g full bars would win over 3g zero bars? Ok now Ive deleted any apps I thought would have any constant or intermittent connection to the internet or use data in anyways, or any app that has push notifications etc. etc. to see if that would help internet browsing but that seems to be a dead end as well. Ive cleared caches and deleted data's, ive installed task killing apps, ive tried other browsers, ive looked online for answers but i just can't figure out where the bottleneck is. The problem isnt all the time but its most of the time which makes me think its sprint? When ever i bring my phone down to their store to get checked out the connection to their service is so so crazy fast its just retarded... Like sometimes over 2mbs on adownloader or other apps... and thats the other thing, i dont have the problem on Mmo's i been playing on the phone. Nor is the problem showed itself downloading anything on the playstore or other miscellaneous downloading. Its only the stupid internet browsing. What could be the problem? And why does a data refresh app (or reboot) fix it for 10 seconds to then just stall right out again for hours, then randomly works fine again?

I have a Galaxy S3 With 4.1.2 on Sprint
Thanks~

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sprint's 4G is a work in progress. As they continue to upgrade, it's not unusual to find network performance going up and down. I've found places where it appears they have the tower broadcasting 4g, but the infrastructure and network behind it haven't caught up yet, and speeds are terrible. Unfortunately, this is part of the growing pains we have to live with for now, in the hopes that it will be a lot better once they're done. Has 4g been official "rolled out" in your area yet? If so, I think you have a legitimate complaint with Sprint. If not, I think you're just going to have to deal with it until they've finished upgrading your area. The fact that it's intermittent makes me think your still in the midst of the 4g and Vision upgrades. I've seen speeds worse than 3G in my area (in fact, I've seen 4G connections but been unable to actually connect to any web sites), but I've also seen speeds of over 12Mbps in my area, which is still in the middle of the upgrade.

I don't know for sure, but I would be willing to bet that in the Sprint stores you're accessing via a Sprint Airrave, or similar device. So you have a local signal, few devices connected, and a direct connection from the store to the wired internet.

It sounds like you've done pretty much everything you can, except that task killing apps frequently make your phone perform worse, so I'd get rid of any of those you still have running. Maybe install an app like System Panel, and see what apps and processes are running in the background, to see if you've got a bad app that's chewing up cpu and slowing everything else down.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 from sprint and the Internet is horrible, it lags so bad. When I use apps that require data and even the play store downloads I dont seem to have any trouble. Ive tried nearly every data refresher app and the internet works awesome for about 10-15 seconds after a refresh, also a reboot seems to do the same thing. Some things I quite dont understand is at times my browser's (since ive tried nearly all the top 10 browsers to see if it was the stock browser) is that 4g with 3-4 bars and the orange download icon (incoming data) can be slower browsing then 3g zero to 1 bar with intermittent orange download icon (incoming datal. What these icons represent in reality beets me. You would think 4g full bars would win over 3g zero bars? Ok now Ive deleted any apps I thought would have any constant or intermittent connection to the internet or use data in anyways, or any app that has push notifications etc. etc. to see if that would help internet browsing but that seems to be a dead end as well. Ive cleared caches and deleted data's, ive installed task killing apps, ive tried other browsers, ive looked online for answers but i just can't figure out where the bottleneck is. The problem isnt all the time but its most of the time which makes me think its sprint? When ever i bring my phone down to their store to get checked out the connection to their service is so so crazy fast its just retarded... Like sometimes over 2mbs on adownloader or other apps... and thats the other thing, i dont have the problem on Mmo's i been playing on the phone. Nor is the problem showed itself downloading anything on the playstore or other miscellaneous downloading. Its only the stupid internet browsing. What could be the problem? And why does a data refresh app (or reboot) fix it for 10 seconds to then just stall right out again for hours, then randomly works fine again?

I have a Galaxy S3 With 4.1.2 on Sprint
Thanks~

Sprint is upgrading, and sometimes traveling a few miles closer to a tower can make a world of difference. Also, signal bars can lie. Looking at your phone status in settings and seeing a signal of about 60 dBm is optimal. 120 dBm is poor.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Paul Tracey

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, i wrote a reply but of course i lost connection and it was a waste of 10 mins of my life. Anyways sprint claims my area where i live is full coverage and they showed me on google maps what they meant... Plus i noticed when I turn GPS on it defaults to a address a couple streets away then refreshes and is right at my house, so i think the tower is right there. I live in Boston and for miles around me pretty much have full 4g (whatever that is suppose to mean?) Also I use another weather app and it defaults to that same address the GPS default to, and again after a 5 second refresh its right on point at my location. So i really do believe i have a tower next to me. Sprint has a site that shows on a map where towers are, what connection they have and like how recently they were upgraded to what type of upgrade, and there has got to be 100+ towers within 15 miles of me. Not sure how far a tower signal goes but i must hit about 10 that are walking distance.

-98dbm 1asu
Mobile network type
LTE: 14

Now have either of you played with the # #data # trick?
I guess you can lock into specific towers or something? Not sure exactly how it works but I would like to use one of the towers not meant for customer traffic maybe I would have better connection. Just scared to try and not be able to do a factory reset or what ever you need to do if it messes up. I can't lose my warranty I'm financially struggling and this phone is my only means of entertainment currently. I read books, play emulators, d/l movies and TV shows, and study for the MCSE / MCSA certs....

Thanks~

Last edited: