Sprint Galaxy S3 and 64GB micro SD card: WHAT'S THE LATEST WORD?

daveross

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I've been reading all over for some time now on this apparently controversial subject (controversial, in that everyone's mileage seems to vary.)

What's the latest word on a WORKING 64GB micro SD card solution for the SPRINT Galaxy S3? Format to FAT32 using EaseUS Partition Manager or leave as existing EXFAT? There seems to be conflicting reports all over on this, with many people seemingly indicating that if you use it as pre-formatted out of the box, that it may work for a short time, but will soon start having errors and problems. I'm aware of the 4GB max file size limitation of FAT32. Apparently there is an issue of not being able to install update .zips from recovery mode unless you are FAT32 formatted as well.

Finally, is there any particular card that has better compatibility?

My phone IS rooted, stock rom, Android 4.1.2

Thanks

sikes

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my 64GB micro SD card for about a year. I don't recall doing anything special to format it and if I did, it would have been with the stock software. I've never had a problem at all and has been trouble-free since day one.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've seen lots of complaints about exFAT formatted cards causing data loss and corruption. It happened to me. I think FAT32 is still the recommended approach.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
First my experience: I've had trouble with sandisks 16GB & 32GB lower class cards in both 16/32GB S3's. I've had a 64GB class 10 ultra in my 32GB Sprint S3 since the the beginning of the year, with no problems.

What I've read & understood: people were formatting these sandisks cards differently to fix the problem, which later found our to be a bad batch of cards from SanDisk. I thought as long as you've bought a newer card made this year, it was a fixed issue? I could be wrong, but that's what I've read.

Plus, my Dad & Bro both have S3's (my bro has my old 16GB) and they used older various cards, which gave them problems as well. Told them to wait till after the first of the year, bought a SanDisk on sale (various memory sizes and don't believe they're class 10). Haven't had a problem since either.

Hope this helps...

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37