Battery charge loss when plugged in

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
While I had the phone connected to a car charger and while running Google maps at the same time, I noticed that the battery seemed to not be charging and was slowly draining as Google maps was running. Shouldn't the phone stay charged while it's plugged in?

I ended up turning the phone off for about 10 minutes to let it cool down because it was getting hot while charging.

Posted via Android Central App

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
While I had the phone connected to a car charger and while running Google maps at the same time, I noticed that the battery seemed to not be charging and was slowly draining as Google maps was running. Shouldn't the phone stay charged while it's plugged in?

I ended up turning the phone off for about 10 minutes to let it cool down because it was getting hot while charging.

Car chargers often don't charge as fast as a plug-in charger, so it could be that. The battery will likely heat up some when charging, especially when you're using the device for a processor-intensive task at the same time, but I wouldn't expect it to get super hot. How is it with a charger using house current, both as to how fast it charges and battery heating up?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
When charging with the normal charger at home, the battery doesn't get hot and as far as charge time, it takes a few hours to get the battery fully charged although I've never actually checked to see exactly how long it takes.

When I had the phone connected to the car charger and I was running Google maps, I was watching the battery percentage drop. Once the phone was cooled down, I started it back up and got Google maps going again. This time while it was on the charger, the battery was actually charging instead of draining.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It almost seems like maybe it was not charging at all the first time. Hopefully just a one-time problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That happens to me but only if I have something else plugged in (I have a double USB car charger). Not enough amperage to power both apparently.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Most car chargers are only 500ma output. If it's a charger designed for an Apple device, it will only supply 500ma to your Android phone no matter what the device says.

When you're using navigation, you've got everything on the phone running. The GPS radio is constantly receiving, and using a lot of power. The cellular radio has to download new maps as you're driving, which is a lot of data. The CPU is heavily used to calculate exactly where you are and update your position on the maps. The display is on, and constantly updating. That's a lot of drain on the battery.

The heat is coming from multiple sources: the cpu and graphics chip are chugging away, generating heat. The radios are in use, generating heat. Even the OLED screen generates some heat. And yes, the battery gets hot because there's a lot of current being drawn out of it, and pumped back into it while it's plugged in. It's completely normal for the phone to get pretty hot while navigating and plugged in.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
You might watch your battery's temperature.
Li-Ion batteries aren't allowed are being charged above 45C (113F). The phone's charging control will shut down the charging until the battery's temperature decreased below the allowed max.
I think this was the reason that your phone didn't charge while being hot.

Phone mounted above the car's air vents might be a solution.

Last edited:

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Had to do a factory reset due to the com.process...issue, and now my phone loses charge while plugged into home charger. Suggestions?

Weazrbmxr

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Had to do a factory reset due to the com.process...issue, and now my phone loses charge while plugged into home charger. Suggestions?

I had this issue a couple months after i first got the S3, turned out to be a broken pin on the micro - usb plug, check your cord, i bet it's that. New cord solved it, Samsung will replace it too, you'll have to send it in though.

rooted667

Nov 10, 2013
plus.google.com
Get the charger from the s3 mini it got no usb but it charges way faster than the s3 usb version and even when charging slot is totally ****ed up it will still charge with the s3 mini charger sad but true

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

rooted667

Nov 10, 2013
plus.google.com
Well that's what I did the original charger from the s3 didn't work anymore slot was damaged and was always really slow so I tried the s3 mini charger from my gf and it worked + charged way faster

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol