Hello,

As I am sure most of you know by now the 4.3 update is rumored to be rolling out for our devices any day now, and I have a few questions that I have been unable to find any solid answers for so I thought I would take a few moments and ask about them now so that I can be prepared if / when the update does arrive. With that being said, let's get started with the questions.

Q1.) I am currently rooted on the Stock 4.1.2 rom which uses TWRP recovery. My questions is, what do I need to do in order to receive the update?

Q2.) Will I loose root if I decide to update?

Q3.) Is there a way to get the update while still retaining root status ?

Q4.) What is the best tool / procedure to gain root again on stock 4.3 if I do lose it because of the update ?

Q5.) Will said tool / procedure trip the KNOX counter that is supposed to be a part of the 4.3 update ?

Q6.) Is there anyway to reset the KNOX counter to it's unmodified value if it was was tripped ?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
    Nosix
    11-03-2013 11:23 AM
    Hello,

As I am sure most of you know by now the 4.3 update is rumored to be rolling out for our devices any day now, and I have a few questions that I have been unable to find any solid answers for so I thought I would take a few moments and ask about them now so that I can be prepared if / when the update does arrive. With that being said, let's get started with the questions.

Q1.) I am currently rooted on the Stock 4.1.2 rom which uses TWRP recovery. My questions is, what do I need to do in order to receive the update?

Q2.) Will I loose root if I decide to update?

Q3.) Is there a way to get the update while still retaining root status ?

Q4.) What is the best tool / procedure to gain root again on stock 4.3 if I do lose it because of the update ?

Q5.) Will said tool / procedure trip the KNOX counter that is supposed to be a part of the 4.3 update ?

Q6.) Is there anyway to reset the KNOX counter to it's unmodified value if it was was tripped ?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
    Nosix
    1. You will need to unroot or flash the stock ROM via ODIN on a PC.
    2. OTA, most likely.
    3. Probably not.
    4. Part of #3 ties into #4: Root access can change with new versions of the OS. Until someone confirms that the previous method works, I would assume there is no root method for 4.3
    5. Unknown. I am unfamiliar with KNOX.
    6. Unknown.
    11-03-2013 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply, since there does not seem to be a working root method for stock 4.3 (at least not confirmed as you said) for this phone, then I think I will stick to my current 4.1.2 rooted version for now. My last question is about unrooting and going back to stock. I have read the guide by billard412 located at [ROM/RESTORE][!MD4 OTA!](5-10)Quick Return to UNROOTED STOCK WITH FLASH COUNT RESET - xda-developers which should allow me to return my phone to stock and reset the flash counter in one shot, my question is will this serve the same purpose as unrooting and returning to the stock rom using ODIN on the PC as you outlined in your first reply above?

Thanks again for any and all replies,
    Nosix
    11-03-2013 11:58 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply, since there does not seem to be a working root method for stock 4.3 (at least not confirmed as you said) for this phone, then I think I will stick to my current 4.1.2 rooted version for now. My last question is about unrooting and going back to stock. I have read the guide by billard412 located at [ROM/RESTORE][!MD4 OTA!](5-10)Quick Return to UNROOTED STOCK WITH FLASH COUNT RESET - xda-developers which should allow me to return my phone to stock and reset the flash counter in one shot, my question is will this serve the same purpose as unrooting and returning to the stock rom using ODIN on the PC as you outlined in your first reply above?

Thanks again for any and all replies,
    Nosix
    Both methods will work. The one you found will clear the flash count, only needed if you send the phone in for warranty repair.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
    11-03-2013 12:18 PM
    Now everything I say here is unconfirmed but just as a warning on top of my thoughts based upon reading I have done recently through numerous sources.

Apparently Knox is going to be like the flash counter we experienced with our Galaxy S3 yet could reset after time, however on newer devices it is said they have a physical fuse inside them that act as a counter almost that cannot be reversed. We are possibly expected to receive Knox in this 4.3 update but it is unsure if we have the that physical fuse in our phones since there are not the newest devices anymore.

Knox apparently has two components, This physical fuse trigger, and software enhancements within the operating system. We will only be able to tell what's going to be included when it is released or Samsung reveals more details.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-03-2013 12:33 PM
    My suggestion is to wait and see what happens. Within a week of the 4.3 release we'll almost certainly know whether current root methods will work or not. If not, there's will probably be new root procedures a few weeks later, as well as pre-rooted stock ROMs. As there are already rooted AOSP 4.3 ROMs available for flashing, I doubt that it will take very long for developers to root the stock ROM.
    tfbrown69 and Super Dave426 like this.
    11-03-2013 08:58 PM
    I agree with meyerweb, just wait for the Stock Rooted ROM to be updated, no reason to give up root unless you don't like it and don't use any apps that require root. The devs update the ROM rather quickly, sometimes it is available BEFORE the OTA release, I know I had 4.1.2 before the other 2 phones in the house that aren't rooted. I'm not talking a few days either, it was over a month before. If you unroot then you lose the ability to freeze or remove any of the bloat on the phone.

Here is an article related to KNOX and The GSIII, KNOX-Free Android 4.3 Leak Now Official for the Galaxy S III.
    coachpelkey and adlebo like this.
    11-05-2013 08:10 AM