I have a quick question. On my previous phones that I had I was able to do group messaging and recieve them in the same message thread kind of like the iPhone. I can send them out in a group but instead i receive individual messages back and then when responding back it only goes to the one person unless i back out of the message and open the other and send it back through the big group one. Can anyone help me out and fix this issue. ?
    11-06-2013 05:34 PM
    Leroyepperson,

I'm glad you asked this question. For awhile I had gone through a handful of SMS replacement apps looking for something to provide this functionality. I tried Chomp, Handcent, GoSMS and the like. I really never liked them. They felt over manufactured and the feature sent went WAY beyond what I needed. Yesterday I was surfing around on my iPad (since I'm sure you are dying to know everything that led up to this, but still). Anywho, I was reading up on the Nexus 5 where a discussion regarding using Hangouts as the SMS app came up. Some posters suggested a couple of other SMS apps to use instead. They noted 8SMS and Textra. I started with 8SMS from the developers of Cyanogen. Thought it worked really good, clean, did what I wanted. I didn't like the way messages were stacked. Enter Textra. Downloaded yesterday afternoon, clean interface, easy set up and handled a group message with an iPhone 4 (iOS6) iPhone 5S (iOS7) and a Galaxy S4 flawlessly. You use it in place of the messaging app (but still uses the standard protocol for sending/receiving messages). I couldn't be happier. I disabled the notifications in my stock app and couldn't be happier. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. It's also free.
    11-06-2013 07:24 PM
    I tried 8sms also, but there was something that was missing so moved on to Textra and have been rocking ever since. Has had 3 updates since and just keeps getting better. I remember, for one 8sms can't send MMS over wifi, always had to switch over to 3 or 4G and then back. Textra has the ability, just have to check a box in settings.
    11-06-2013 09:45 PM
    With the Google Hangout update in the Play store now, you should give it a try. It's awesome for general group chats that you can leave open all the time and now it has the added SMS/MMS feature. It works quite well.
    11-08-2013 10:28 AM
    With the Google Hangout update in the Play store now, you should give it a try. It's awesome for general group chats that you can leave open all the time and now it has the added SMS/MMS feature. It works quite well.
    The new hangouts app works perfect for group messaging

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-08-2013 10:53 AM
    Just wondering if using Textra your friends need the app as well?
    05-28-2014 10:25 PM
    Just wondering if using Textra your friends need the app as well?
    No, it is a messaging app that you use instead of the stock or built in, does not effect the recipient.
    05-29-2014 10:02 AM
    I used to have trouble with that also. But, since the most recent update, I can group message with the standard Messaging feature and receive the responses all in the same thread.
    06-05-2014 01:56 PM
    Which is the box you need to check in settings to make this work?
    07-29-2014 10:57 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    Which is the box you need to check in settings to make this work?
    If you're referring to the stock Messaging app, there's a 'Group conversations' checkbox - that will cause multiple recipient MMS to be sent to the group rather than individually. Is that the problem you're having?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    07-29-2014 11:30 AM
    Is there a way to leave a group text so your phone doesn't blow up with replies in Textra?

Sent from my LG-D850 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-02-2014 11:50 AM
    Welcome to the forums!If you're referring to the stock Messaging app, there's a 'Group conversations' checkbox - that will cause multiple recipient MMS to be sent to the group rather than individually. Is that the problem you're having?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Bingo! On my ATT Note 2 running Kit Kat, if I am in the stock messaging app and click "settings" , there is a "group messaging" box I can check. I think this is a new feature with Kit Kat. In the past, group messaging wasn't an option with the stock app.
    08-03-2014 12:51 AM