Sprint Galaxy S3 - KitKat Launcher

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Anyone using the KitKat launcher on a G3?

If so, what happens when you try to use the DirectDial Widget? I can add a widget to the screen, and assign a phone number, but when I tap on it I get a message that "App isn't installed."

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using the KitKat launcher on a G3?

If so, what happens when you try to use the DirectDial Widget? I can add a widget to the screen, and assign a phone number, but when I tap on it I get a message that "App isn't installed."

Not much of a help for you but I didnt realize that the launcher was in the Play store

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Not much of a help for you but I didnt realize that the launcher was in the Play store

Posted via Android Central App

Not sure it is. I DL'd it from the MOAR thread on XDA.

I think I've figured out the problem. The DirectDial widget is actually a Samsung widget, not a Google one. It needs the TW launcher to work, and the KitKat launcher replaces Samsung's, unlike 3rd party launchers like Nova.

After using the KitKat launcher for a few days, I'd say Nova is superior in pretty much every respect but one: the ability to just say "OK Google" from any home screen.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So besides Nova being a better launcher what are your thoughts on the 4.4 launcher?
Not sure it is. I DL'd it from the MOAR thread on XDA.

I think I've figured out the problem. The DirectDial widget is actually a Samsung widget, not a Google one. It needs the TW launcher to work, and the KitKat launcher replaces Samsung's, unlike 3rd party launchers like Nova.

After using the KitKat launcher for a few days, I'd say Nova is superior in pretty much every respect but one: the ability to just say "OK Google" from any home screen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, it's been so long since I used the stock TW launcher, or any other, that I don't have much (other than Nova) as a basis for comparison. Given that:

It's fine. It does what a launcher should do. It supports folders on the home screen, but not in the app drawer, which is a pain if you have 100 apps installed. It doesn't (natively) allow customization of icons, or editing of icon / widget titles. Widgets don't appear in the app drawer, but by long-pressing a blank area on the home screen. Having voice recognition ("OK Google") active whenever you're on a home screen is handy, but I'll have to train myself to use it, instead of tapping on icons.

It only supports a 4x4 grid of app icons (plus the panel at the bottom) , and you can't remove the app drawer icon from the bottom row like you can in Nova.

Having gNow one swipe to the left of the main screen is probably cool if you use gNow a lot (which I don't), and have all of your commonly used icons on one home screen. But if you have multiple home screens, and you're 3 screens to the right, then swiping back 4 screens to get to it doesn't seem particularly easy. Just swiping up from the bottom would be simpler.

But what's most interesting about the KitKat home screen is what it means for the future, not what it means today. See this article:

Google just pulled a ?€œFacebook Home?€?: KitKat?€™s primary interface is Google Search | Ars Technica

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Like you I didn't like the KitKat Launcher, I like having all the control I get with Nova. Right now I am trying Aviate, but it tries to offer simplicity and I still get more convenience out of Nova. I might try Cover but it's not a launcher, more like a lock screen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
what did you finally use to replace direct dial? I need something to use with kitkat

thx

Thought I had posted that here already. To many forums, too many threads. :) Anyway, I found an app called Speed Dial Creator which works pretty well: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.hotline.PicCall&token=J4QJaJkT

But in the end I switched back to Nova. It's better than the KitKat launcher in every way except instant voice access, and that seemed to be eating up my battery. I've go the Google Search bar on my Nova pages, and it's really not that big a deal to tap the screen once before saying OK Google.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Right now I am trying Aviate, but it tries to offer simplicity and I still get more convenience out of Nova. I might try Cover but it's not a launcher, more like a lock screen.

For the most part, I don't want my launcher layout changing all the time. Whether I'm at home, at work, driving, or whatever, I want to know that a specific app is always in the same place on my home screen(s). I'm too old to want to think about where I am, and how my screen is arranged based on that location. :)

Cover looks interesting, though, since it only changes the few icons on the lock screen, not everything.

lordnykon21

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I like the GEL launcher, but I hate that I can't hide icons in the app drawer. I hate scrolling through page after page of them. You can remove them in 4.1.2, but sure why you can't in this one. Any ideas?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

editdroid9

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
GEL is a baby for sure, but give it some time. I switched from NOVA (which is still my favorite) mostly for the RAM savings, which equates to battery savings. I have found a significant increase in battery life after the switch. I was using about 1gb of ram with NOVA, and now am running about 650mb with GEL. I miss the gestures, and badge notifications, and quick dialing from NOVA. One alternative for the quick dial, is to set up direct message widgets (its a samsung widget) and set google hangouts to be your default SMS. Once opened, use the phone icon in the top right to dial. Also, for badges, I am using 'floating notifications' app. I have no substitute for gestures though.

I don't know if this is a related not or not, but since switching to GEL, my Quadrant standard scores are through the roof. I have an ATT GS3 (dual core 1.5ghz with the stock kernel). I am scoring over 6000 on cold runs, i.e. not back to back tests to take advantage of RAM. My guess is that the freed up RAM from dropping NOVA is boosting those scores.

Overall, yes there are some annoyances (GEL not remembering what page of apps I was on after leaving the app drawer, not even for a little while, is the worst when trying to set up your home screen for the first time) and there is a major lack of customization right now, but give it some time. I do like the speed bump, and I have said 'OK Google' about 100 times in 2 days. ('OK Jarvis' also works). I am using google now more too. But the biggest advantage to me is the googleness of it all. I have been trying to get to vanilla android on my GS3 forever. Cyanogenmod was nice, but not quite right, and NOVA was RAM heavy. Nothing has felt quite as perfect as GEL, and that's why i'm sticking with it.

Last edited:

TheLastUchiha

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Possible solution..!
I had the same problem & after a lot of head-scratchin' & tinkerin', it occured to me-
Go to Settings>Developer Options & see if the option "Do Not Keep Activities" is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
You're good to go..!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair