Should Be Rooted, Isn't. Can't Factory Restore.

edithonus

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.

I've been messing with my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 (Version 4.1.2) SPH-L710 for a little while now trying to get it rooted. I've been using Odin and I've tried both CF Auto Root and CWM. Every time I try Odin lights up, says PASS! and the phone reboots. I go into CWM and the first thing I see before I even press a button is:
"E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command"
"E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/log"
"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log"
"E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log"
"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log"

I've tried using different versions of CWM but this current one is v5.5.0.4. The problem is that whenever I navigate to "Install zip from sdcard" then choosing an sdcard it says:
"E: Can't mount /sdcard/"
Then nothing else comes up. I've tried different Odin versions, different recovery methods (TeamEpic-Root, CWM, CF-Auto) and nothing works. It all passes in Odin then I check the Root Checker app from the Play Store and it says I don't have root access.

I'm really just tired of messing with the root. The problem is that I would just like to go back to stock but 1. I can't select a file from CWM and 2. Whenever I try to reset via the settings on the phone it just reboots since it's missing normal recovery. The only way to return to stock I've found was using this method here: [ROM/RESTORE][!MD4 OTA!](5-10)Quick Return to UNROOTED STOCK WITH FLASH COUNT RESET - xda-developers but that requires being able to access the SD card.

A lot of the return to stock methods I've found require root and since I'm not rooted I don't know what to do.

The phone still works. Boots normally, makes calls, texts and everything, I'd just like a fresh start.

Thanks a lot everyone, I greatly appreciate any advice that can be provided.

edithonus

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I manually go into recovery when I try to install a zip file. Whenever I use the "Back up and reset" option from the phone settings to try and restore all it does is reboot the phone.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue with recovery. Nothing would mount so I couldn't flash anything from recovery. I ended up returning to stock, getting clean downloads of the custom recovery, and everything worked out from there.

If you just want to return to stock and unroot, I used this thread and it worked perfectly.

*Update* The problem with custom recovery not recognizing your partitions has to do with you having a new GS3 (like me). Apparently there is an additional security flag in the kernel that requires another tweak so custom recovery will install correctly. Anyway, you need to download a version of the custom recovery that gets around this new flag in the kernel. XDA has links to the new files here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2391616. I'm pretty sure that Skunkape's thread here has the new files as well.

Last edited:

edithonus

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
The procedure here on AC has been updated with the latest recoveries that will work on new S3s:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...e-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html

Thanks for the info. I got to step 4 under "Flashing Root in CWM Recovery" it says "4. Now you will tap either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard". My options are "Choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from external sdcard" it says nothing about internal. Again I try pressing both and get the same "E: Can't mount /sdcard/" and "E: Can't mount /external_sd/".

Any more advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I got to step 4 under "Flashing Root in CWM Recovery" it says "4. Now you will tap either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard". My options are "Choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from external sdcard" it says nothing about internal. Again I try pressing both and get the same "E: Can't mount /sdcard/" and "E: Can't mount /external_sd/".

Any more advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

sdcard is internal.

Also...after you flash via odin and get pass notification, you must pull the battery and not let the phone reboot.

sent from a GS3 gone wicked

edithonus

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
sdcard is internal.

Also...after you flash via odin and get pass notification, you must pull the battery and not let the phone reboot.

sent from a GS3 gone wicked

Yeah that's what I was thinking but then CWM is saying it can't mount it but I can still boot normally unrooted. The problem is just getting to the file once in recovery.

*Update*

Is it anything that my SDcard looks like it's called "sdcard0"?
---
Yeah It doesn't reboot at all. It says PASS and I remove the battery / usb cord while it's still on the download screen, then I go straight to recovery. After I see it doesn't root I just boot normally.

edithonus

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with recovery. Nothing would mount so I couldn't flash anything from recovery. I ended up returning to stock, getting clean downloads of the custom recovery, and everything worked out from there.

If you just want to return to stock and unroot, I used this thread and it worked perfectly.

*Update* The problem with custom recovery not recognizing your partitions has to do with you having a new GS3 (like me). Apparently there is an additional security flag in the kernel that requires another tweak so custom recovery will install correctly. Anyway, you need to download a version of the custom recovery that gets around this new flag in the kernel. XDA has links to the new files here New recoveries for new phones that won't mount storage!! - xda-developers. I'm pretty sure that Skunkape's thread here has the new files as well.

Hey thanks for the advice however I have no idea what ADB is or how to use it. :p

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the advice however I have no idea what ADB is or how to use it. :p

There is an easier way than ADB. I'm sorry the XDA thread is less clear. Try this thread here at Android Central. You can use ODIN, which is much more user friendly than copying and pasting code. Skunkape's instructions are very clear and it walks you through the entire process. Just download the files from his thread and it should take you 10 minutes or less.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
SDCard and sdcard0 are the same thing. I've never understood why Google did this. Maybe in the future there will be a distinction.

I thought the thread I linked to here on AC had the most recent files, but if they're not working you might want to try here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2011491

Also, I've found TWRP to be better than CWM in general, so you might want to try that, too.

Last edited: