My battery performance is still taking a hit even though I have a new battery in the phone.

I use Pandora and iHeart radio frequently, but shouldn't those apps be using the battery?

I'm getting about 3.5-4 hours of battery life.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-22-2013 05:35 PM
    Post the standard battery screens you'll see in every battery thread so we can have some data to work with, please.

But media server issues are most likely related to a corrupt directory structure on the external SD card, or a corrupt media file on either internal or external storage.
    rando991 likes this.
    11-22-2013 09:45 PM
    Post the standard battery screens you'll see in every battery thread so we can have some data to work with, please.
    You mean something like these? I'm experiencing this issue as well, and I can pinpoint to the exact moment it started: right after I updated to 4.3
    Attached Thumbnails Media server using up battery-uploadfromtaptalk1386293059440.jpg   Media server using up battery-uploadfromtaptalk1386293112129.jpg  
    12-05-2013 08:26 PM
    A couple of questions:

Did this happen after a reboot, or is it continuing consistently? It's normal (unfortunately) for the device to rescan your storage looking for new media files after a reboot. So if you have a lot of media files, it can use up a fair bit of battery after a reboot. Even given that, this seems pretty high.

I think the next most common issue that causes this is a corrupted nedia file or a corrupt directory on the SD card. If you have an SD card, unmount it, remove it, and reboot. If the problem goes away, then you have a bad file or directory. Copy eveything off the card to a computer, then reformat the card in the phone. If the problem comes back (unlikely) you've got a bad card. Assuming it's OK, then you might have bad file(s). You can do two things: copy everything back, and hope the reformat cured it, or you can copy them back a bit at a time, wait a day, and if the problem returns you know the bad file was in the most recent batch.

If removing the card didn't resolve it, then you probably have a bad file on internal storage. Copy all your media files to a computer, and delete them from the phone. Reboot, and see if that resolves it. If so, copy them back a bit at a time, as above.
    rando991 likes this.
    12-06-2013 05:31 PM
    I started with a full charge, and after only using iHeart radio, the battery is at 58% and has been in use for 1.5 hours. I have a screenshot of the battery usage, but I don't know how to post it using the Android central app.

12-09-2013 02:20 PM
    You want to know something funny, I just looked at my battery stats and sure enough media server was the highest for me at 35%!! I always thought it was because I have a big SD card (64g) with A LOT of music (40g+) and I'm constantly using PowerAmp. No, my battery drains nice and slow....although lately, its been draining quicker in the morning since the battery is now going to be 2 years old soon. Perhaps its time to reformat my SDcard and do a full factory wipe....its been awhile since I shook things up, lol!

Media server using up battery-screenshot_2013-12-09-15-31-04-1-.png
    12-09-2013 03:43 PM
    Here's my screenshot with battery usage. I would estimate that I didn't get more than 3 hours of total use before the battery reached 12%. I really don't know what drained it so quick.

Media server using up battery-2013-12-09-19.16.39.png
    12-09-2013 04:55 PM
    Make sure you don't have duplicate folder names between the SD card and the phone. I think there is a database building issue where it only looks at the filler name and not the full path. This also explains why removing the sd, or formatting the card works sometimes

Example: Rename "downloads" on the card to "downloads-sd"
    12-10-2013 10:29 AM
    I started with a full charge, and after only using iHeart radio, the battery is at 58% and has been in use for 1.5 hours. I have a screenshot of the battery usage, but I don't know how to post it using the Android central app.

Any time you're playing music, media server is involved, I think, so it's not surprising that's your highest battery usage. Are you listening via wifi, 3g, or 4g? Playing online music is pulling a lot of data, and that will use a lot of power, especially if the signal isn't very strong.

Does the screen stay on while you're listening? That uses a lot of power, too.

I can't help you wit the AC app. I don't use it.
    12-10-2013 11:47 AM
    Any time you're playing music, media server is involved, I think, so it's not surprising that's your highest battery usage. Are you listening via wifi, 3g, or 4g? Playing online music is pulling a lot of data, and that will use a lot of power, especially if the signal isn't very strong.

Does the screen stay on while you're listening? That uses a lot of power, too.

I can't help you wit the AC app. I don't use it.
    I posted a screenshot of my battery usage.

The majority of the time I am using iHeart radio, I have a 3G signal but it isn't always very strong. The screen is off when I am using iHeart Radio. I actually did a bit of an experiment and found that Pandora isn't using much battery power at all, but when I am using iHeart radio, it pretty much drains the battery down in a short period of time.

Not related to the media server, but I noticed that when I have a 100% charged and then take the phone off the charger, there is almost always a drop of 1-3% right away.
    12-10-2013 03:50 PM
    Not related to the media server, but I noticed that when I have a 100% charged and then take the phone off the charger, there is almost always a drop of 1-3% right away.
    That's normal, too: Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing) - xda-developers
    12-10-2013 03:59 PM