Sprint Galaxy S3 - 4.3 Q & A

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Making this thread for those that have questions about 4.3 over all, how it runs, battery life, so on. I've been using it for a few days now and i think its time for you guys to pick my brain at it now! Ask away

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: 4.3 Q & A

What do you think of it? I manually updated my phone with the file provided by XDA members recently. Still messing around with settings and getting use to newer stuff. So far I dislike my text messages/phone character icon is annoyingly stupid looking.
Also what apps do you recommend turning off? I see there's a lot more loaded on with the update.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

What do you think of it? I manually updated my phone with the file provided by XDA members recently. Still messing around with settings and getting use to newer stuff. So far I dislike my text messages/phone character icon is annoyingly stupid looking.
Also what apps do you recommend turning off? I see there's a lot more loaded on with the update.

I turned off the yahoo stuff and most of the Samsung stuff. So far its not that bad honestly once I got used to it(which I still am) but only thing that really bugs me is the fact my gmail always goes off when its set not to and once I get in a building were my service isn't the greatest my battery drains really bad and basically kills my phone

Posted via Android Central App

Dragontech97

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

So hows the performance (ie lag)? And can I turn off the camera shutter either in settings or mute?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Dragontech97

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Also is the gpu performance greatly improved (supposed to have updated gpu drivers and opengl 3.0)? Try running 3dmark normal tests or gfxbench t-rex and egypt hd tests and post the scores please.

Dragontech97

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

In addition, does the update install to the internal user memory or on to one of the system partitions such as .data or .system or .firmware? Because I only have 1.2 gb left i heard the update is 700mb+ and you need at least 500mb left in order to install apps other wise it will give an out of space error and the phone will start lagging a lot.

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

So hows the performance (ie lag)? And can I turn off the camera shutter either in settings or mute?

At first I had a lot of lag but it was just a first boot and I was moving files around. You can turn off the sound but will have to change a value of code in order for it to work. I'll do a test later on and post screens

Posted via Android Central App

bkwaisner

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

If your phone is on vibrate or silent, the shutter sound is turned off automatically. I love this feature, it should have been like that all along.

adlebo

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site

The lock screen is really confusing now. I used to be able to swipe directly to a new incoming message or missed call. But now I just get the notification but when I press or swipe on it, it doesn't take me to it. It just does some cha cha dance with the bottom of the lock screen.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

At first I had a lot of lag but it was just a first boot and I was moving files around. You can turn off the sound but will have to change a value of code in order for it to work. I'll do a test later on and post screens

You can add a toggle in the camera apps settings menu by editing system/csc/feature.xml. you must be rooted and use an app such as es file explorer. make sure file explorer has root rights enabled in it's settings.
navigate to system/csc/. open feature.xml for editing. Scoll down to:

- <!-- Camera -->
<CscFeature_Camera_DisableGPSMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_DisableGPSMenu>
<CscFeature_Camera_DefaultStorage>phone</CscFeature_Camera_DefaultStorage>
<CscFeature_Camera_DefaultQuality>superfine</CscFeature_Camera_DefaultQuality>
<CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>superfine</CscFeature_Camcorder_DefaultQuality>
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>false</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>
and change false to true.
<CscFeature_Camcorder_DoNotPauseMusic>false</CscFeature_Camcorder_DoNotPauseMusic>
<CscFeature_Camera_CameraFlicker>60hz</CscFeature_Camera_CameraFlicker>

I also enabled camera during call on my phone. Again change false to true.
<CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

Save and reboot. When you open your camera app, open it's settings and you will see an option: Shutter Sound On/Off
Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Dragontech97

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

So before I update via kies, is there any issues and bugs I should know about? Like music player detecting only files in music folder on internal storage or any lagging on home screen and lockscreen?

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

You should know you will lose root thanks to Knox. i Havent really seen any lag on home and lockscreen. Haven't noticed the music folder since i dont have any on my phone(i just use my ipod and Pandora)
So before I update via kies, is there any issues and bugs I should know about? Like music player detecting only files in music folder on internal storage or any lagging on home screen and lockscreen?

Dragontech97

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

So far so good. The initial boot up is lengthy and is laggy when finally done but give it 5 minutes to create a cache at home screen and restart and it should be snappy again. Great job sprint and samsung. Will report back with benchmarks and more.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I had the music issue....but once I manually add one file it resolved itself. No issue there after that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad