CX5 won't read text messages

Lucky Lindy

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I just bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 and it has the stereo that connects to our phones with Bluetooth. So far all the audio and phone functions work, but it won't load text messages. I get the pop-up screen asking to load the message. But after a short time it says that it failed. Her GS3 is stock running 4.3. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know a fix? I love this car so far, but this is annoying me.

Posted via Android Central App

bobnojio

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
the cx-5 SMS profile is bull$%$&$.

I have tried receiving SMS messages on:

two different iphones. (a 4s on ios6, then ios7, and a 5 on ios7)

four different android smartphones (HTC One on 4.2, 4.3, Sony Xperia z1 on 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3, Samsung Galaxy mega on 4.2)

NONE of these phones have been able to download SMS messages into the cx5's system.

(I work for a cell carrier, so i can borrow devices for testing)

supergirl83

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I just bought a 2014 Mazda CX5 and it has the stereo that connects to our phones with Bluetooth. So far all the audio and phone functions work.....Anyone know a fix? I love this car so far, but this is annoying me.

Posted via Android Central App

Im having same problem w my S4! Would love to know if anyone has found a solution to this!
If not, I wish it would at least stop asking me to download msgs...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Would love to know if anyone has found a solution to this!
Bluetooth in general seems to be poorly implemented, more so when vehicles are involved. Have you gone to the Mazda dealership to make sure that your car has the latest firmware?
Did you check the Bluetooth profile for the car on the phone?
Did you check the profile on the car?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

kimmyb76

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I have my HTC rezound connected, but the messages tab is not even selectable. I checked the compatibility on the mazda website, and it says my phone should be able to use SMS with the car.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I have my HTC rezound connected, but the messages tab is not even selectable.
As mentioned in the post immediately above yours, have you checked the Bluetooth profile for the car on your phone? And have you examined the profile for your phone on the car?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with my Nexus 5, I seem to be on firmware version 28.
I get the notification, but fails when I try to read the text. Get "Unable to download" "Unable to Get information from phone"

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Finally fixed my issue with the Nexus 5 and Mazda 3 2014. I was getting notifications but download failed.

Finally found this post: SMS Messages will not download! - Page 9 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

I deleted all the message history on my phone (in hangouts).
Sent myself one message from my wife's phone.
Went out to the car - started it - waited til the Bluetooth connected
Went to the Phone and pressed download messages ...and IT WORKED!

Hope it helps some of you. Guess the phone is trying to download the entire history and eventually times out.

socal_android_dude

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Marc Robillard, I want to thank you for your post.
After 2 weeks of not being able to read TXT messages on my cars infotainment system, your post did the trick.

My specific situation:
My car: a 2014 Mazda 3S GT running version 31.00.000 of the infotainment system OS
My phone: a Moto X running KitKat version 4.4.3.
My phone's apps and configuration for chatting and texting:
  • Messaging app used to receive and send txt messages.
  • Google Voice app also used to send and rcv text messages
  • Hangouts app only used for chatting with friends (I do not use it for texting now, although I briefly used it for that purpose many months back).
My Mazda would give me notifications that a text came in, but before the below fix I was never able to actually see those text messages on the car's screen (the car would endlessly display "updating" whenever I tried to download the text messages to the car).

Based on Marc's post, I did took the these steps to get everything working:

• I deleted all the Hangout messages in my Moto X (both current messages and archived messages).
  • I deleted all the Messaging text messages in my phone (not sure if this was necessary, but I did it anyway)
  • I did NOT touch my Google Voice at all (all of those text messages remain in my phone).
  • I then rebooted my phone.
  • I then sent a single text message to my cell phone from my wife's phone.

• I then went out to the car and put it in accessory mode (stereo on mode).
  • It took a while for the car to sync all of my Contacts (no idea why it takes so long sometimes to resync the contacts).
  • Once it was done syncing I went to the text messaging screen of the Mazda's infotainment system and told it to update/download/sync the messages from my phone. It immediately updated, and the message from my wife's phone showed up as visible.
  • Then, while sitting in the car I sent a txt message from my wife's phone to my phone. The message popped up immediately on my infotainment screen, and I was then able to successfully send a canned response from the car back to my wife's phone.

Thanks again Marc.
BTW, I called the Mazda infotainment hotline at 1-800-430-0153 to tell them that this solution should be posted on the FAQ area of their website; hopefully that will be done.

Last edited:

Bob Williams3

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
FIXED FYI, our 2014 Mazda 3. Version 27.0.0.0 w/ 2 identical Verizon Galaxy S4 w/ Kit Kat's. The SMS came up blank and would not load the inbox after the kitkat update. Finally, we fixed it simply by deleting our entire inbox, making sure Messaging was the default SMS app. Nothing more.

Last edited:

anon(331562)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried the workaround by deleting my old messages and switching to EvolveSMS (I have a Nexus 5 so Hangouts is my default SMS application), and it DID work after doing that. But after I turned the car on again, when there were a handful of messages on my phone it went right back to failing to sync the messages...

hyperno0b

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, Im not sure if this would help you too.

I have a mazda 3 2014 and on my current version which is v33, it stopped displaying my messages too. But after following one of your suggestions to delete my messages, it started to display my new messages UNTIL someone texted me with emoji!

So im guessing, the issue here is that the system does not recognize these characters thus fails to update the messages.

try checking if theres any emoji on your messages and delete those messages.

hope this helps! :)

Lucky Lindy

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Update. My wife and I both got new phones. I got the LG G3 and she got the S5. It reads the messages from my phone no problem. It worked for the first two I tried on her phone, but hasn't after that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lucky Lindy

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I should have added I use hangouts for my messaging on my G3 and it works great. Must be a Samsung thing. I tried switching my wife's phone to use hangouts. Didn't work.

Posted via the Android Central App

Becky Roark Libbert

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my 2014 CX5. It worked fine on the phone I had when I purchased the car. Had to get a new phone and upgraded to the Galaxy S5 in July. Now I can't get it to work. Drives me crazy!

Dee-Dee Kaelin

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 CX5 I love it and when I got it my daughter fixed it to read my texts from my Iphone. I have traded my phone to an Android and can't figure out how to make it work either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza