Sprint Galaxy S3: KitKat now Available on Sprint!!

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
My wife doesn't like major updates, she just long hold the notification, tap app info and then unchecks notifications and it stops pestering for a while.

Dokimoto

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I received the update not too long ago and have found some issues with GPS and Messaging.

1. I noticed that the GPS icon has changed on my quick use bar and now says Location. When Location is turned on, I have to agree to Location consent every single time which I've never had to do before and would like if it just remembered that I agreed before. I often turn Location off for battery saving purposes, and when it's off, a Sprint Optimizer pop up shows up frequently to ask if I want to turn Location on. The pop ups are very annoying, and I would like to see if there is any way to stop them.

2. I downloaded Go SMS Pro for texts so that I can get my messages to pop up when I get them, which Messaging is unable to do. I've never had a problem using both of them before, but now I can only use Messaging if it is set as my default. Is there any way to fix this?

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been out of the ROM/Rooting game for a while so forgive me if I sound stupid...

I've been on SlimRom for the last 9 months. Normally when there is an OTA update of some sort, I just update my modem with some sort of flashable zip. Currently I'm on MK3. From what I've been reading in forums regarding this ND8 update, I can't do it the same way I've been doing it. I really just want to update the modem (on the hope that I'll get better service and dl speeds on the network).

Can anyone shed more light on this in laymans terms? Thanks!...

ZephyrsDream

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I also don't like the fact that the GPS is now cobbled within the location settings. I liked being able to turn GPS on and off with one tap, but now it seems hidden inside another menu.

For some strange reason also when I got the update, it installed but then started downloading apps from my Google account that were not in my phone but in my account.

I'll see what happens with my battery life after some usage.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Agreed with the GPS information.
My battery life has been spotty, been very careful about what widgets I use, Right now I am giving Chronus a try on my main screen...I found zooper and beautiful widgets have really been a drain.
I could be wrong, just curious what others thought.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've been out of the ROM/Rooting game for a while so forgive me if I sound stupid...

I've been on SlimRom for the last 9 months. Normally when there is an OTA update of some sort, I just update my modem with some sort of flashable zip. Currently I'm on MK3. From what I've been reading in forums regarding this ND8 update, I can't do it the same way I've been doing it. I really just want to update the modem (on the hope that I'll get better service and dl speeds on the network).

Can anyone shed more light on this in laymans terms? Thanks!...

I haven't yet seen anyone extract the modem from ND8 as a standalone flashable zip. ND8 seems much more integrated than previous versions. It IS possible to flash the entire ND8 firmware through Odin, root, and then reflash a custom recovery and ROM, but that will leave you with the ND8 bootloader, and Knox, not just the modem.

And once you've installed the ND8 bootloader, there's no going back. You can't use Odin to revert to an older firmware, ever.

enfuego44

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has not been as good since 4.4.2 def not a good improvement on my battery life. Even if I have location on power saver it seems to drain battery just turn it off now unless I need it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed the GPS doesn't seem to "find" me as quickly as it used to.

After several days, I just don't think this is a good update for me. It may have improved others' phones, but for me it's just made me anxious for my next upgrade.

Meg Faulkenberry

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with anything except for the volume of my audio playback. Whenever I listen to music, I've noticed a majority of the songs have drastically decreased in volume. What was normally 50% in volume is now 95/100%. A few songs (such as the first one I select in a playlist) revert back to normal volume, but then everything else is very quiet. Same thing for calls and videos. Any idea on how I can fix this?

katti36

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I received the update yesterday. Noticed a bit of a lag with apps opening. Which after some time should diminish. Battery seems fine. Then again the Samsung Galaxy 3 is known for a short battery life anyways.

Posted via Android Central App

jcgc

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Using a 710 and got notice today. Amazingly, it apparently downloaded although I thought I had to authorize that. Anway, I would prefer not to install given some of the issues I am reading about.

Can you tell me where the downloads are stored and can I delete it before installation?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I installed this today,

How do I uninstall, I don't like it at all?????

You can't. Really, there is no way to go back. Trying will brick your phone. What don't you like about it? There really aren't very man visible changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Using a 710 and got notice today. Amazingly, it apparently downloaded although I thought I had to authorize that. Anway, I would prefer not to install given some of the issues I am reading about.

Can you tell me where the downloads are stored and can I delete it before installation?

I believe the download file is in the cache directory, and yes you can delete it. You'll keep getting prompts for it, however.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe the download file is in the cache directory, and yes you can delete it. You'll keep getting prompts for it, however.
If you wipe the cache in Recovery mode and then run the update it'll fail (because you deleted the actual update.zip, and the installer doesn't realize that) and then it won't bother you again. That worked for me when 4.3 came out - YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair