Changes in 4.4

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Sideloaded 4.4 KitKat today and just wondered if we can keep tabs of all of the changes (minor or otherwise) to the software. Sorry if this is a repost. Here's what I've found so far:

- Lighter font in some menus (specifically, the notifications in the notification bar)
- Ability to download KitKat specific apps (Google Camera, Google Keyboard)
- GPS turned into Location in the menu (and has a new icon)
- Ability to set default launchers and messaging apps in the system settings
- Performance is faster in some places (toggling the notification bar) but any lag that previously existed still largely exists for the most part

Still believe there's more but I can't find it/am still searching.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been searching for threads containing information about 4.4 changes to our phone since I side loaded too. I'll help contribute what I've noticed.

1) Stock music player. If you use it, lock screen player now takes the whole entire screen with back, forward, play and time length bar. Doesn't show short cut list anymore. Plus regular on page is now transparent instead all black.
2) Wifi icon has changed too. It's a little spread instead compressed together.
3) Mobile signal icons has changed to having many single indication bars instead of solid gray background.
4) Google Drive has been pre installed with the new updated.
5) Stock calculator has changed the whole appearance.
6) I don't understand this (hopefully someone can help me with it), but the stock picture gallery now constantly request to sign in as per Google agreement for something. I cannot remember what program its for too. I've never signed in and it'll ask you every time you access your gallery. I always ignore it.
7) I know its many "under the hood" improvements, but I'm not sure as what. Mainly RAM usage is lower and personally I can say I do not experience lag anywhere. It's smoother and battery life is actually better.

I'll add more information as I notice it. Cheers!

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching for threads containing information about 4.4 changes to our phone since I side loaded too. I'll help contribute what I've noticed.

1) Stock music player. If you use it, lock screen player now takes the whole entire screen with back, forward, play and time length bar. Doesn't show short cut list anymore. Plus regular on page is now transparent instead all black.
2) Wifi icon has changed too. It's a little spread instead compressed together.
3) Mobile signal icons has changed to having many single indication bars instead of solid gray background.
4) Google Drive has been pre installed with the new updated.
5) Stock calculator has changed the whole appearance.
6) I don't understand this (hopefully someone can help me with it), but the stock picture gallery now constantly request to sign in as per Google agreement for something. I cannot remember what program its for too. I've never signed in and it'll ask you every time you access your gallery. I always ignore it.
7) I know its many "under the hood" improvements, but I'm not sure as what. Mainly RAM usage is lower and personally I can say I do not experience lag anywhere. It's smoother and battery life is actually better.

I'll add more information as I notice it. Cheers!

Number 6 is so FREAKING ANNOYING! This happened on my S5 also, I finally figured out it was stupid google's picture Picaso crap. Go into the account stuff and uncheck it for syncing, then disable it and hide the icon and it will no longer bother you.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Number 6 is so FREAKING ANNOYING! This happened on my S5 also, I finally figured out it was stupid google's picture Picaso crap. Go into the account stuff and uncheck it for syncing, then disable it and hide the icon and it will no longer bother you.

Oh jeebus! You sir... are awesome! Thank you for telling me how to get rid of constant asking permission to sync with Pisca crap.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh jeebus! You sir... are awesome! Thank you for telling me how to get rid of constant asking permission to sync with Pisca crap.

No problem! Trust me, I dug and dug and dug to get rid of this. Ended up being something pretty simple, but borderline buggy/virus like. 4.4 wont let you look at a freaking picture without agreeing to use it. Horrible programming in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair