Total loss - phone bricked itself???

slownis

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My GS3 was plugged in all night, I checked my email on it this morning while still plugged in. The next time I picked it up it was dead. If I remove the battery and hold power to reset it, if I reinsert the batter the samsung logo comes up for a second or two, then it goes dead again. A couple of times I got an empty battery icon to pop up, then dissapear. I can't boot into recovery. Anything else to try? Could it just be a bad battery? I've noticed my battery life has been pretty aweful lately - lasted only 2 hours the other day.

Is there a way to know if my battery just died? Like with a volt meter or something?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I would get a new battery, if it was only lasting 2 hours the other day, that's your sign. Good luck!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

slownis

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually found a way to boot into recovery, Philz touch 6. It wasn't easy. I held down the 3 buttons while sliding the battery into the back. Once booted into Philz touch 6, I saw the battery level was reporting 3% in the corner. I then plugged in the power cord and it appears to be charging. I couldn't get the battery to charge any other way, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Seems like its not a total loss now.

slownis

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Weird, I can boot into recovery with no SD card inserted. If I try to boot into recovery with the SD card inserted, it locks up. If I boot into recovery first then insert the SD card, the phone reboots and locks up. If I try to boot regular with or without an SD card, it locks up. Maybe my SD card is hosed (hope not). I'll try a different one. I'd like to back up the phone data.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need to get a new battery AND leave the SD card out until you get the phone working normally. Then you can put the SD card in your computer and copy off anything important and then reformat it. Then put it in the phone and reformat it there for good measure.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

slownis

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend with a gs3 I'll see on saturday. I'll ask if I can borrow her battery and see what happens before I go out and spend money on it.