Phone randomly Shutsoff

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey for some reason my Galaxy s3 keeps on shutting off by itself. I am wondering why is it doing this. I tried to root it awhile back but never could get it to work this was probably about 3 months ago. And i am now just starting to get random shut downs. And when this happens I have to put my phone on the charger in order to keep it on and working.

I have tired a Factory Reset and a Hard reset threw the recovery and it still does this. I am wondering what is my problem?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like a swollen battery. To test that, take the battery out and place it on a hard surface like a wood or glass table. Flick a corner of the battery. If it spins easily it's swollen and you need to replace the battery.

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like a swollen battery. To test that, take the battery out and place it on a hard surface like a wood or glass table. Flick a corner of the battery. If it spins easily it's swollen and you need to replace the battery.

I did that and the battery seems to be good and flat still

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I also tried to put a fresh copy of the firmware on my phone threw odin with the download mode on my phone and i was reading this

Product Name:SPH_L710
Current BInary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Secureboot:Enable
Warrenty bit:1
Bootloarder AP Swrev: 2

Could my phone be softbricked?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Product Name:SPH_L710
Current BInary: Custom
System Status: Custom
Secureboot:Enable
Warrenty bit:1
Bootloarder AP Swrev: 2
This tells me that you don't have the stock firmware loaded, and that at one point you had at least 4.3 loaded.

You should use Odin to load http://samsung-updates.com/details/27866/Galaxy_S_3_LTE_Sprint/SPH-L710/SPR/L710VPUDND8.html and then wipe the cache in Recovery mode again. Everything should be back to normal after that.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This tells me that you don't have the stock firmware loaded, and that at one point you had at least 4.3 loaded.

You should use Odin to load Samsung Updates - Firmware Download Page and then wipe the cache in Recovery mode again. Everything should be back to normal after that.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

That is what I did. I put the stock firmware back on there using Odin and it still did the samething. Will shut off randomly and when it does shutoff it wont come back on. Just load to the Samsung Screen on the boot and shut back off. And I will have to plug it in for it to come back on and work.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Will shut off randomly and when it does shutoff it wont come back on. Just load to the Samsung Screen on the boot and shut back off.
If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

What does your Download mode screen look like now that you installed the stock firmware?

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

What does your Download mode screen look like now that you installed the stock firmware?

It does not turn on by itself when i take the battery out. When i take the battery out and reinsert it i have to press the power button to turn it back on..

Download mode says this
Product:SPH-L710
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Offical
Qualcom SecureBoot: Enable
Warrenty Bit: 1
BootLoader AP Swrev: 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When i take the battery out and reinsert it i have to press the power button to turn it back on.
Well, it's either your battery or there's something wrong with the mainboard - batteries are pretty cheap (look online for the RAVPower 2250mAh).
Download mode says this
Product:SPH-L710
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Offical
Qualcom SecureBoot: Enable
Warrenty Bit: 1
BootLoader AP Swrev: 2
That all looks good now (the Warranty Bit should be zero but once you mess with loading other firmware there's nothing you can do about it).

You could try booting into Safe mode and running that way to see if the phone still randomly shuts down on you. I'd still pursue a new battery.

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I tired a different battery because my brother have a Galaxy s3 also and with there battery it did the same thing. Do you think my Motherboard is going out? Should I just replace the Motherboard and call it a day because it still randomly shuts off

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you tried Safe mode with the same result then yes, sounds like it's time to replace the mainboard.

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Its werid because sometimes it will work and sometimes it will just shut off. Do you think rooting it and loading a different software will work?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't think it'll make any difference.

Did you try Safe mode?

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Not yet. if it works in safe mode what could it be? Would it be better just to get another motherboard from ebay for like 50 dollars and call it a day?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If it works in Safe mode then it means that you've loaded a 3rd party application that's causing your problem. If you haven't loaded any apps (you prevented the Google Play Store from automatically installing your apps) and it still does this then I guess a replacement mainboard is the best alternative.

xKronicx

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If it works in Safe mode then it means that you've loaded a 3rd party application that's causing your problem. If you haven't loaded any apps (you prevented the Google Play Store from automatically installing your apps) and it still does this then I guess a replacement mainboard is the best alternative.

Well when i did the hard reset it deleted all my apps and stuff off my phone. And it still did it with everything deleted off the phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could invest that $50 (or however much it costs for a replacement mainboard) towards a new Moto X or Moto G - the off-contract prices for those make it pretty silly to throw money at a two-year-old phone. Just my opinion.