Phone using wrong mic

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So this is an odd one, I think. Voice recorder apps all use the bottom mic and not the top one, but the phone app uses the top mic and not the bottom one. If I hold the phone like normal nobody can hear me. I have to use speakerphone and talk at the top of the phone. I'm running an old Carbon Rom from late 2014, and I didn't have this problem until close to a year ago (don't use this phone much since I got my S5 but it's nice to have a backup).

Anyone know of a way to tell an app which microphone to use?

I've tried turning off noise suppression, as that seems to be a common problem, but it didn't help at all.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What mic does the phone use on a non-rooted S3? I really don't have an answer, but I'm curious. Maybe the Rom is corrupted? No idea.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Well it should use the bottom one, because that's the one near your mouth. That's the one my S5 uses. I haven't tried flashing a new ROM because I want that to be a last resort.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yah, I know. I was more or less thinking something in the Rom must be causing the problem.

I thought so, too, until I remembered I've had this ROM installed since 2014 and it was working fine for at least a few months. I was hoping someone knew of an obscure settings file that defined which hardware was used.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There's no stock settings for changing mic's that I know of. However, I have heard that some people have experienced mic problems due to having apps that can control the mic. If you've installed any of those apps, you might disable or uninstall all of them temporarily to see if they're causing the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay