Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card, and, yes, it's a global roamer

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Because this has been asked and answered in, like, 13 different threads, I'm going to start one more. (And kindly ask the mods to not ban me for it. lol)

Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card. Here it is. It's a very pretty SIM card. It has letter and numbers and little gold things on the back.

sprint-lte.jpg

And, yes. It's a global roamer. Sprint's got a dedicated app on board for that.

Last edited:

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card

Phil I know it has a sim but i'm confused. Is it for LTE data only or can it also be used for calls on GSM when roaming internationally.
(sorry i'm a +ten year sprint customer)

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Phil I know it has a sim but i'm confused. Is it for LTE data only or can it also be used for calls on GSM when roaming internationally.
(sorry i'm a +ten year sprint customer)

Yea, that's what I'd like to know. Can this thing be used on att or T-Mobile since it does have a sim? Thanks.

Sent from Wal-Mart.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Then what's the point of the card?

LTE networks require a UICC (SIM card) to authenticate and connect to them in the same manner that traditional GSM networks do. So for the Sprint HTC One with LTE, the SIM card is for Sprint's LTE. As for the other questions about using a SIM from another network, I can't say (though I know others will jump in here with the answer). It would require that the Sprint version be compatible with the other carriers' networks.

For those who are interested, there are three very informative (albeit somewhat technical) reads about SIM cards and how/why they're used with LTE networks here:

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site

Yes but Phil you didn't answer the question everybody asks can you use a SIM card when out of the country on Foreign GSM networks as I could with my touch pro two or do you still have to use sprint CDMA like when I go to London at sprints inflated prices.
Yes I called Sprint and got three different answers none of which made sense.
Thanks in advance Andy :)
PS does it do s v d o 3G

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Will throw up a video tomorrow ... Tried three SIMs ...

AT&T definitely didn't work. Not even an option to enter a PIN.
Had a couple old Movistar and Vodafone SIMs laying around. One immediately asked for a PIN, the other didn't. Not sure why -- haven't used many SIM-locked phones overseas.
Can anyone shed some light on that for me?

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Phil, when they I chatted with Sprint they said (which is usually 50/50 info) that the HTC One will operate the same as the iphone on sprint. So for international travel I need to call CS first to get it unlocked.
So I'm hoping that's correct. I would rather pop in a prepaid sim when traveling over buying a prepaid phone or having sprint charge me like crazy.

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Yes, the exact question isn't whether or not it has a sim card, but what GSM/WCDMA frequencies it supports, and if the phone can be unlocked and used on domestic and/or international carriers.

It's too bad I already left Sprint for T-mobile on the Note 2 since I travel to Europe, Africa, and Asia often and I'm not carrying a dumb phone plus Galaxy phone again.
The remainder of my family remains on Sprint, though, and my wife hopes to move into a new job which will have her traveling often as well, so I'm still interested.
Let's all hope this is a trend and Sprint stops soldering their SIM cards into their phones.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

HTC One (Sprint) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

This model of the One supports Sprint's 3G (CDMA 800/850/1900) and LTE (1900 only) networks, along with GSM/EDGE on 850/900/1800/1900 and HSPA 14.4 on the 1900 and 2100MHz bands. That means this phone will roam internationally at 3G speeds. In theory, you could unlock it to work poorly on AT&T's and T-Mobile's networks, but it wouldn't be able to take advantage of fast speeds on either.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

So what is the process through Sprint where they will unlock the phone for you?

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site

On my old touchpro2 I called them and was good to go. Used a few different Sims in Europe and it worked great. If it is as easy with the one I will be a happy customer.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

The TP2 - what a sweet phone, with that super-early version of Sense (TouchFlo) when everyone thought it was great. Good times, man... good times...

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site

I still use it when I go to the UK as it still has a lot of information on it. Lol thread drift!!!
I just got off the phone with sprint International and technical support, and neither would confirm one way or another that it would be unlocked for overseas use. .. Paging Phil

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

i figure if they dont lock down the iphone they wont lock down the one

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

It has a user accessible SIM because it is a global phone. I dont know how sprint plans to handle this but it does have gsm radios

Sent from my iPride 6G

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

It is funny that the writer of the article thinks that anyone on Sprint is going to be upset with 3G speeds if the phone goes to other carriers...

I think it's safe to say that if we are on Sprint still, we're cool with 3G speeds for now. Haha

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX