Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card, and, yes, it's a global roamer

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I just got an HTC one (which needs to be replaced because the SMS doesn't work, but that's another story), and am leaving on an international trip on a few days.

If they DO unlock it, is there a way I can verify that it's actually unlocked by looking at the settings? I don't have an international SIM that will fit in it to check it with.

BrokenR1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm STILL on the TP2. It never needed unlocking to use overseas which I love. However it's slowness is getting to me as it gets buggier and buggier in its old age. I'm looking at either preferably the S4 or the One if either are indeed worldwide. Very interested in hearing from others who have actually tested it overseas with 3rd party SIMs.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is now officially the worst company ever in my book.

I was sold an HTC One by a rep who said there would be no problem in unlocking it so I could use a French SIM card, because I was an established customer.

International says they can't unlock it because all phones MUST be attached to a phone number for over 90 days before the system allows them to unlock them. No exceptions. The only way this can be overriden is by a "back office" which they can send requests to but which no one can call or email. This "back office" makes a decision based on unknown criteria and if they deny the request they will not reveal the basis for their decision.

Sure enough even though I'm a 10+ year Sprint customer with a great payment record and no outstanding bills, the "back office" denied the request.

After this happened, I read on xda developers that Sprint's "unlock" for this phone actually doesn't work: one person who went to Italy after their phone was unlocked found that the Italian SIM cards did not work and that a "SIM Locked" message still appeared.

So if you are traveling internationally DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE FROM SPRINT.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a major deal for me...I bought a Wildfire and had it unlocked just to have something to travel with overseas. But it of course has none of my apps etc..

Thursday, April 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
I am on the phone with them now...rep pulled up notice that the phone IS available for unlocking...but must be on the account for 90 days. I paid out of contract retail for mine, so she is checking with supervisor now to see how they get around that.....
OK... came back and again said the 90 day requirement was keeping her system from allowing her to unlock..
About to get supervisor on the line with me to try and get it done..

Thursday, April 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
Supervisor (Andrea) refused to unlock "at LEAST until it has been on the system for 90 days...and in fact usually we require that you have a new two year agreement and be 90 days into it before we will unlock." I explained I am a 13+ year sprint customer 4 lines, paid retail for this phone and it is activated on my existing contract. "I understand sir, but we are not unlocking this for at least 90 days, and might still require that you had a new 2 year agreement".
Crazy, no?

Sprint is now officially the worst company ever in my book.

I was sold an HTC One by a rep who said there would be no problem in unlocking it so I could use a French SIM card, because I was an established customer.

International says they can't unlock it because all phones MUST be attached to a phone number for over 90 days before the system allows them to unlock them. No exceptions. The only way this can be overriden is by a "back office" which they can send requests to but which no one can call or email. This "back office" makes a decision based on unknown criteria and if they deny the request they will not reveal the basis for their decision.

Sure enough even though I'm a 10+ year Sprint customer with a great payment record and no outstanding bills, the "back office" denied the request.

After this happened, I read on xda developers that Sprint's "unlock" for this phone actually doesn't work: one person who went to Italy after their phone was unlocked found that the Italian SIM cards did not work and that a "SIM Locked" message still appeared.

So if you are traveling internationally DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE FROM SPRINT.
Hmmm,maybe I shouldn't buy this phone.

I have a photon, which didn't need to be unlocked, it worked with international SIMs out of the box. It seems quite bizarre that Sprint has changed its policy. I hope to go to London in a few weeks. I certainly won't buy this phone before that!!

And honestly, I have better things to do than spend hours arguing with customer service.

achacon77

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Yes, the Sprint HTC One has a SIM card

I know this may not have anything to do w/the title but I'm wondering, why do developer phones like the HTC One developer and the new Samsung S4 android phone always release on gsm networks and not cdma? Or at least initially? Thanks in advance.

Heyu415

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
From my prior phones (htc touch pro & motorola photon) with Sprint that have sim cards. You can put any sim cards in from the country you are visiting and it will work. I didn't have to call Sprint to have it unlock. Sprint said the phones will work only with Sprint sim cards only which is NOT true. I travel alot for work and have confirmed this. I just buy the local sim card and use their pay as you go plans. Country I've been to. Vietnam, Japan, GB, Germany and Australia. You just need to switch from CDMA to GSM in the phone once you pop in the sim card. You can leave the sim card in once your back in the USA. You just need to switch back to CDMA mode in the US.

surajanantg

May 31, 2013
Visit site
i have a htc one sprint "not a contract" can it be converted to gsm by any chance. If yes please suggest me. I live in India i got thIs phone from USA.

Thank you.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
From my prior phones (htc touch pro & motorola photon) with Sprint that have sim cards. You can put any sim cards in from the country you are visiting and it will work.

This is not true of the Sprint HTC One. If you put in a non-Sprint SIM card, the phone displays a "SIM Locked" message in the notification area and will not use the SIM.

rossum

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just a follow-up to my previous posts here:

I finally did get Sprint to agree to unlock my HTC One. They sent me an email saying that the phone was approved for unlocking and I should restart it. I did so, and it downloaded a PRL update.

After the PRL update, I installed a Spanish SIM card I happen to have and the phone still said SIM Locked. I called Sprint back and they said it was unlocked. I called HTC Tech support and talked to a 2nd level technician and he confirmed that if the phone says "SIM Locked" it's not unlocked.

After going back and forth with Sprint and HTC on this, I returned the phone to Sprint for a refund.

TL/DR:
Sprint is apparently unable to unlock the HTC One currently, and when they think they have unlocked it, it's still locked.

SomeWhoCallMeTim

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure some folks in Sprint have now figured out how to unlock the phones correctly from posts in other forums. I believe that you luck may still vary depending upon who you talk to in the international group...but I have seen reports of phones being unlocked and people no longer getting the SIM Locked message in the last week or so.

smittygam

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure some folks in Sprint have now figured out how to unlock the phones correctly from posts in other forums. I believe that you luck may still vary depending upon who you talk to in the international group...but I have seen reports of phones being unlocked and people no longer getting the SIM Locked message in the last week or so.

I haven't seen any other forums where people have had success. Think you could point me in the right direction? I'm headed to Guatemala, next week and having this taken care of would be very helpful.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any other forums where people have had success. Think you could point me in the right direction? I'm headed to Guatemala, next week and having this taken care of would be very helpful.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Wow, definitely not buying this phone. I wonder if it's a problem with all Sprint phones these days, or just this one.

Javier Piedrasanta

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

I am in Guatemala now, a couple of weeks ago I bought a HTC ONE on ebay and I can not make it work in Guatemala on GSM/3G networks.
I'm thinking of selling it to someone who can use it back on Sprint USA.
I mean, if you're interested in another Sprint HTC One, hehehe.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Called Sprint last night and (eventually) had them submit a "case" to the"back office". According to this xda thread - Sprint SIM Unlock - xda-developers - that's promising. Sounds like Sprint was initially using Apple software, thinking they were unlocking phones when they really weren't succeeding. Since early June, they have a new system which sounds like it actually works. In my case, I'm having to argue that being a Sprint customer for >10 years trumps the 90-day rule. Fortunately, my trip overseas will occur after the 90 days anyway.

UPDATE: Got the Sprint email today that I'm unlocked. Now to shop for a SIM card to activate . . .

Last edited:

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Update:
Got the overseas SIM card today, and, lo and behold, my phone recognized it (No locked message) and asked for which of the list of carriers! Will activate the SIM when closer to departure. Yay!

Last edited: