11-04-2013 01:30 PM
37 12
tools
    Anyone having LTE signal problems when gripping phone? The signal will drop to 3G in areas that I had no problems connecting to 4G with the EVO Lte.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums
    04-19-2013 06:33 PM
    Anyone having LTE signal problems when gripping phone? The signal will drop to 3G in areas that I had no problems connecting to 4G with the EVO Lte.

I haven't noticed any problems at this point.

From my newly opened HTC One
    04-19-2013 07:59 PM
    Pretty sure that's just called "Sprint coverage"

#trollolol
    04-19-2013 08:06 PM

#trollolol
    Lol, but seriously I loose up to -20dbm gripping/holding the phone.

04-19-2013 10:21 PM
    No you just holding it wrong
    leez, uh60james and JRDroid like this.
    04-19-2013 10:43 PM
    I've noticed a "death grip" as well. I don't have 4g in my area, but at home if my hand covers the left side i'll drop a few bars.
    Lol, but seriously I loose up to -20dbm gripping/holding the phone.

04-20-2013 02:34 PM

#trollolol
    For those haters...
    Took a drive this morning from Vegas to Pahrump. For those that don't know where that is ,it's a small town about an hour north of Vegas with nothing in between but a mountain pass. Going up the pass we needed to call the peeps we were going to see. Guess who had full bars and who had none...
    Sprint HTC One or Verizon iPhone 4???
    YEAH!!! I had full bars on my Sprint phone!!! The Verizon phone could NOT place the call!!!

uh60james and junior38 like this.
    04-20-2013 10:10 PM

#trollolol
    Lmao! This. Also, what is Sprint LTE? (Sarcasm).
    Rndomuser and Trey Beno like this.
    04-20-2013 11:49 PM
    Lmao! This. Also, what is Sprint LTE? (Sarcasm).
    Yea, what he said....HJ
    04-20-2013 11:55 PM
    I am in Virginia in the DC suburbs and on my EVO LTE I had never seen the LTE come on, not once. With the new ONE I am getting LTE 60% of the time in the towns around here regardless of holding the device.
    04-21-2013 12:16 AM
    For those haters...
    Took a drive this morning from Vegas to Pahrump. For those that don't know where that is ,it's a small town about an hour north of Vegas with nothing in between but a mountain pass. Going up the pass we needed to call the peeps we were going to see. Guess who had full bars and who had none...
    YEAH!!! I had full bars on my Sprint phone!!! The Verizon phone could NOT place the call!!!

That has nothing to do with Sprint. That's because you were near Area 51.
    gramamoose likes this.
    04-21-2013 10:22 AM
    I made a Youtube video showing what I think is the death grip on this phone

EverNap likes this.
    04-24-2013 02:05 PM
    I made a Youtube video showing what I think is the death grip on this phone

I've been so excited to ditch my BlackBerry and get the HTC One next month when my upgrade is due. After seeing this thread, and your video, I'm really questioning this. Damn!!
    04-24-2013 02:27 PM
    I love the phone and wouldn't give it up, but the death grip does seem to be real. I just used the Cell Phone Coverage Map app testing twice with it on my desk and twice holding it and here were the results:
    On desk: 1. -57 dBm, 6.3 Mbps down, 2.5 Mbps up 2. -59 dBm, 8.9 Mbps down, 4.9 Mbps up
    Holding: 1. -73 dBm, 8.4 down, .5 up 2. -73 dBm, 8.0 down, 1.8 up

Definite signal degradation but only enough to be an issue if you're in a spotty coverage area. You would think after the iPhone debacle that HTC would have tested this out.
    04-24-2013 02:59 PM
    I live in the Dallas area and our LTE coverage is great. I haven't had any "death grip" issues, but then again, I've had mine in a Speck case since day 1.
    04-24-2013 04:49 PM
    Yes this is real. I'm getting a replacement next week. Might be the first batch defects, I hope. When I get my replacement with BB I'll update here.
    04-25-2013 11:40 AM
    Ok, just tried this on the AT&T model, it only drops one or two bars and only if I cover the entire left side of the phone. Try holding it without your thumb touching the top left corner? I dunno, for me holding like you were holding it was kinda of uncomfortable.
    EverNap likes this.
    04-25-2013 11:58 AM
    No problems with my HTC One on Sprint. And I live in the sticks.
    04-25-2013 12:08 PM

#trollolol
    Ya know, I've been a Sammy fan (on Sprint) for a while now because HTC gave up the ghost with the Evo 3D for me. But because of your reviews and general likeness of the "ONE" I took the plunge and purchased it over the S4. But I can tell you that I like the phone but it does have it's quirks. The OP is right, my signal drops gripping the phone disallowing 4G. As soon as I un-grip, 4G is back. Never was a problem with the S3. It also gets very warm to touch (not hot) unlike the S3. NO wireless charging????? WTF? I thought this was a state -of-the-art phone? Well, it is, but HTC left out a few key features that would and could be useful. Such as a bigger notification light with different colors would be nice. Faster charging since there is no removable battery. Wireless charging. And those are just a few. Don't even get me started on the software. The "ONE" is a great phone. My S3 was a great phone. But the level of usability (polycarbonate and all notwithstanding) goes to the Galaxy line. OH...I have to say sense is smooth. Real smooth. But I have witnessed it stutter here and there going from apps back to the home screen....just like touchwiz does.

But since I have this phone, I'm going to keep it. I have another upgrade in two days (and 2 more in a few months) on my dad's line and will talk him into getting the "ONE" to replace his Photon because I think he will like this phone. When another upgrade opens up, I'll get the S4 so I'll have the best of both worlds.
    04-27-2013 06:39 PM
    This is the same problem (including tilted screens) I had with the Evo 3D. But to be fair in a way, the Evo 3D was much...MUCH worse. Instead of just losing a few bars, it would go from full (in a great coverage area) bars to nothing then drop the call I was on and go into roaming....then BAM...it all would be good again. I went through 3 of them and they all did the same thing. Sprint would only let you (at that time) to exchange 3 times before you had to get a different phone, so I got the Photon. Never had the problem since...even in the exact same areas. So I decided quality issues still plagued HTC and went with Sammy. Now with this...my perception of HTC remains the same as it always has...great hardware but POOR quality control.
    04-27-2013 06:50 PM
    For those haters...

This is true. Sprint has great coverage in places like the Bermuda triangle, death valley, Guantanamo bay, etc., while Verizon has great coverage where human beings are heavily populated. :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    les7699, tlo07 and JRDroid like this.
    04-27-2013 06:54 PM
    This is true. Sprint has great coverage in places like the Bermuda triangle, death valley, Guantanamo bay, etc., while Verizon has great coverage where human beings are heavily populated. :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Hmmm and guess what, everywhere Verizon has coverage us Sprint users can roam. I don't really have a point but I don't think you did either other than to bash Sprint.

Sent from my HTC One
    Topgonzo and doomstang like this.
    04-28-2013 12:18 AM
    Sprint as well. Cannot reproduce op's problem. Also, have never seen signal go from full to empty in my area. I get 1-2 bar variations but never a compete lack of signal no matter how I hold or don't hold the phone. Perhaps they are working on the towers in your area? Take a trip out of town to see if you can reproduce signal issues.
    04-28-2013 03:07 PM
    I haven't noticed it in my sprint one then again I'm rocking a case so that may help
    04-28-2013 03:12 PM

#trollolol
    Hahaaa
    04-28-2013 03:46 PM
37 12