"Unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped."

DJ Nfinity

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
After updating to the newest stock firmware (xxx.10), and after updating to the new Google Play Music (Post-Google I/O), Google Play Music will only open for a few seconds before crashing and presenting me with the message I posted in the title. This message appears several more times after crashing.

Here's what I've done so far in an attempt to fix it (not necessarily in this order):
Delete Cache.
Delete Defaults.
Force Stop.
Uninstall and pre-installed app.
Restart (multiple times).
Power off and on (multiple times).

This phone has always been stock, and I'm not using any skins. I've downloaded very few apps, which have all been run of the mill. I did download Google Wallet, but I would hope that's not the conflict.

Is anyone having a similar issue? Up til now I've only used HTC 's player, but I want to try the free month of music streaming. Any advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep - ever since the update. Remember, they just overhauled the app, so it's going to have a few hiccups here and there so chances are it's not your phone but the app. Give it a week or so and it should run fine. If you have the option, report the error so Google and HTC know what's going on.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
You could also try the mobile website, but that may only do your library so make sure you go in and add tunes you like to your library first.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. At first I uninstalled (which just brought me back to before the new release) and then updated. This fixed the issue for about a day. Hopefully they will fix soon via an update.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you guys know that out of frustration, I contacted google over the phone and they are fully aware of this issue. They are currently working on getting it resolved ASAP. You figured they would since this is a revenue streamline for them. (in the meantime, I'll stay with Spotify Premium) Ever since I updated on 05/15 to the latest app update, it crashes and that message keeps showing up. It even shows that crash message when I'm not running the app. That said, I just uninstalled the update and reverted back to the original version. Once I did that, it worked fine (so it's obviously the update). I'm using the SGS4 on AT&T. I still went ahead and signed up for All Access since it works just fine on my computer.

edenney

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm CONSTANTLY getting this error no matter what I'm doing, and it screws up any games I'm playing and interferes with any apps I'm running (including trying to text or email). I've only had my GS3 for about 3 weeks, but this started maybe 3-5 days ago. It's pissing me the hell off because you can't uninstall the d*mn thing! I could give a squirt about Google Play music, or google Play books/magazines, or Google Play Movies & TV. We should be able to toss all of them out the window, or at least permanently disable them. It's one thing if the app itself is just screwing up when you're trying to use it, but for it to be constantly causing my phone to temporarily freeze and throw an error, that's totally unacceptable!

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm CONSTANTLY getting this error no matter what I'm doing, and it screws up any games I'm playing and interferes with any apps I'm running (including trying to text or email). I've only had my GS3 for about 3 weeks, but this started maybe 3-5 days ago. It's pissing me the hell off because you can't uninstall the d*mn thing! I could give a squirt about Google Play music, or google Play books/magazines, or Google Play Movies & TV. We should be able to toss all of them out the window, or at least permanently disable them. It's one thing if the app itself is just screwing up when you're trying to use it, but for it to be constantly causing my phone to temporarily freeze and throw an error, that's totally unacceptable!

Since they're system apps, you can't uninstall them. However, you are able to fully disable the app.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
And ... how do I disable it?

Also not using the app at all but being interrupted by the error message constantly.

Go to applications under settings and uninstall the updates....clear the cache, then disable it from there. That should fix it.

sykox2

May 27, 2013
Visit site
When you see ?Google Play has stopped working ?? error, you can try:
(Try one thing at a time, Don?t try everything at once. Try to run Google Play after each step.)

1. Remove the updates for your Google Play

- Go to the menu?>settings?>apps?>all?>google play store?> uninstall updates, then reboot your device.

2. Remove the cache for your Google Play

- Go to the menu?>settings?>apps?>all?>google play store?> remove cache, then try to run your google play again. It is better to do a reboot.

3. Try to delete and re-install Google Play

- In some cases, delete and re-install resolve this issue.

4. Check that Google Play on your device installed as system app instead of user app

- If your Google Play installed as user app, try to install it as system app. There is a app that helps you to change it easily. ?/system/app mover? Try this app (Sorry you have to find the app on your own!)

5. Download and install a different version of Google Play

- Sometimes a different version of google play works instead of one that you have on your machine. so try to find a different version of google play(older or newer version) and try.

6. Use a different market application

- You can also use a different market app like 1mobile: ?http://www.1mobile.com/? There are so many different android market apps, and it is up to you which one you will use!

hazel grace

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
After updating to the newest stock firmware (xxx.10), and after updating to the new Google Play Music (Post-Google I/O), Google Play Music will only open for a few seconds before crashing and presenting me with the message I posted in the title. This message appears several more times after crashing.

Here's what I've done so far in an attempt to fix it (not necessarily in this order):
Delete Cache.
Delete Defaults.
Force Stop.
Uninstall and pre-installed app.
Restart (multiple times).
Power off and on (multiple times).

This phone has always been stock, and I'm not using any skins. I've downloaded very few apps, which have all been run of the mill. I did download Google Wallet, but I would hope that's not the conflict.

Is anyone having a similar issue? Up til now I've only used HTC 's player, but I want to try the free month of music streaming. Any advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

hazel grace

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
soo i had the same problem and what i did was go to google play music in play store and updated it....this seems to have solved the problem and it's working just fine now...although i just did this today so i dnt know if this problem is solved temporarily r permanently.....but atleaslt it's working for now....i hope this helps :)