HTC One Kitkat 4.4.2

Fluffymagicman

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, I just got the 4.4.2 kitkat upgrade for my HTC One. Right away, I noticed I didn't quite like it, but I decided it was okay and I'd try it. Well, I tried to send a message today and noticed that the ASCII to face identifier is now gone. Instead, they decided to force emojis on me. The thing with emoji's, is now when I send them to someone who hasn't updated, they can't see them. And, it sets the text character limit to 70 instead of the normal 160. This is a deal breaker for me. Is there any way I can either A) Remove the update and revert to a previous OS or B) Get rid of Emoji's in general and get an ASCII to face identifier?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a deal breaker for me. Is there any way I can either A) Remove the update and revert to a previous OS or B) Get rid of Emoji's in general and get an ASCII to face identifier?

Remove the update is only an option if your device has an unlocked bootloader. You could then run what is called a RUU package to revert to a previous Android version.

As for the emoji's yeah they have changed in the latest update. I'm not into them a whole lot other than playing around in Google Hangouts so I don't have much advice to offer there.

Fluffymagicman

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I would be fine with rooting my phone if it was the only option. But I shall wait to see if anyone else says anything about the emoji's. The update itself is livable if I could just get rid of the emoji's/get an ASCII to face program like the old HTC Sense had.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an answer for you. But I am glad you posted your problem. I was just notified of the update today from Sprint but I don't think I will do it. I have read too many negative things about it.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Remove the update is only an option if your device has an unlocked bootloader. You could then run what is called a RUU package to revert to a previous Android version.

As for the emoji's yeah they have changed in the latest update. I'm not into them a whole lot other than playing around in Google Hangouts so I don't have much advice to offer there.

You cant RUU to a older version unless you are s-off, Just a unlocked bootloader won't do it

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Try another keyboard, such as SwiftKey. I'm still able to send ascii smileys that way. The one thing I did notice after the update is that where they would show up as an actual smiley on 4.3, on 4.4 they only show as ascii characters. However everyone gets them, and I still get 160 characters per message.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2