Will root allow me to tether?

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sprint blocks wifi tethering unless you buy their $20/mo tethering add-on to the "unlimited" plan. So I did, and it works, my HTC one m7 is a hotspot.

If I root the phone will I be able to tether without the Sprint tethering add-on?

Similarly, I used to tether via bluetooth to my Android tablet, but that died with Android 4.4.2. Will that now be possible with root?

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Root is the Linux equivalent of the Windows administrator so although you'll have access to system files you otherwise wouldn't, without an app to take advantage of said access if tethering wasn't available in the OS pre-root it won't be once it's rooted.

What you could do is use an app like MultiROM and install a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod or SlimKat. I'm running a Nexus 4 with SlimKat (4.4.4) and that has tethering functionality.

Posted via the Android Central App

davidblake

Banned
Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Sprint blocks wifi tethering unless you buy their $20/mo tethering add-on to the "unlimited" plan. So I did, and it works, my HTC one m7 is a hotspot.

If I root the phone will I be able to tether without the Sprint tethering add-on?

Similarly, I used to tether via bluetooth to my Android tablet, but that died with Android 4.4.2. Will that now be possible with root?

Well, yes you will be able to tether without using the add one provided by the sprint network once you root your device. After rooting your device you can search for the other third party apps to tether your internet connection over your device. We, I doubt about the ability to tether via bluetooth but I would just say there's an app available for such then that would be possible. So, I would say atleast give it a shot and yes I am sure you must be aware that rooting your device means your warranty gets void ! So, proceed at your own risk.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I had assumed the "Mobile Network Sharing" function was built into Android. But I guess it's a Sprint function, since it's not on my Nexus tablet. So I see I need a tether app. But the tether blocking function should be in that Sprint layer that I can get beneath with root.

Now to decide whether to root or to install a whole OS?

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Dude once you learn the process and have your phone rooted with a custom recovery the installation of ROMs takes only a few minutes.

Posted via the Android Central App

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I rooted my HTC One M7 Sprint. I went all in and installed Cyanogenmod. Now I can tether! And I really didn't need an app it seems. there is the option in Android KitKat for creating a wifi hotspot and it works fine.

I still never found a way to tether or set up the hotspot without paying Sprint that would work without root on Kitkat 4.4.1 or 4.4.2, and never got the chance to see if it would work on 4.4.3 or 4.4.4.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair